Free Spirits

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Emmych, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Emmych

Emmych forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal Veteran

First Language:
    Anglais~
    [​IMG]
    The year: 1923. The city: the Big Apple, New York herself. Her streets are filled with secrets, sin, and...spirits. That’s where Lana and Nadia Kozmin come in, two siblings with a knack for talking sense into stubborn spooks.
    In Free Spirits, you’ll bump up against bootleg brewers, visit with vain vaudevillians, and come across even more colourful characters. Using your silver tongue, intimidation, and even baked goods, it’s your job to convince ghosts that it’s time to make like the wind and blow on outta the land of the living.
    Trouble is, these problem poltergeists still have an itch that needs scratching, and they’re none too keen to fly off to their final rest without satisfying it. Since you can’t kill a ghost, you’ll have to engage in a little schmoozing -- or even strong arming -- to send them packing. This is done through a turn-based battle system where every turn consists of multiple actions, which can be split between Lana and Kozmin. Exploring levels yields clues you can use to loosen those ghosts’ lips, something you’ll need in order to convince ‘em to scram. If you get stuck, you’re always welcome at The Cat’s Meow, a local speakeasy and something of a home base.
    But while both Kozmins are great at speaking with the dead, their methods of communication don’t always line up. Can they learn to work together to heal the ghosts of New York, or will they fail and walk away with their spirits crushed?

A game made by PentagonBuddy and Emmych for the IGMC.  

Click here to see our Rad Trailer!

This game does contain elements of religion and politics, albeit in a fairly subtle manner.  The politics are old timey (Prohibition, yikes!) and the religion is mainly present in one of the main character's beliefs, but neither of these things are really ever a point of contention for anyone.

However, we have included other things in this game that are worth mentioning!  In our experience, not everyone likes to stumble on certain topics without warning, so here's a list of things you might want to know about.

Characters

The Siblings 
    Svetlana "Lana" Kozmin 

A young woman with a light heart and carefree outlook on life. Her friends at The Cat’s Meow have seen her through hard times, and she repays them by providing laughs, pastries, and even the occasional listening ear. Everyone calls her Lana, except for her sibling who insists on referring to her by the more traditional nickname of “Sveta”. This doesn’t bother Lana, as Kozmin was the first to accept her decision to live as a woman. 

Lana is the gentler of the two siblings, and is better suited to calming spirits down. Her Comfort skill is a great way to get a spirit in a positive mood. 

Nadezhda Alexeievich Kozmin 

Kozmin is an intensely focused and vigilant person. Though dedicated to her role as a spirit medium, she lacks the tact most would expect from someone in such a position. There aren’t many people that would call Kozmin their friend, as her insensitive attitude pushes people away, including her little sister. She goes by her surname, preferring the androgyny it provides, but is affectionately known as “Nadia” to those closest to her. 

Kozmin takes no nonsense from anyone -- especially spirits. If a spirit needs to be set straight or requires a little intimidating, she’s the one for the job. 

The Cat’s Meow 
    Jason Delaney, the owner 
    This entrepreneur could be described as somewhat eccentric, and insists on being on a first name basis with all who enter his establishment. 

Louis Callaghan, the not-a-janitor 
    Known simply as “Callaghan” to the Kozmins, though only the elder refers to him as such with any affection. He helps with each case by investigating the spirit and sending information via his carrier pigeon, Muriel. 

Mortimer Lamont, the bartender 
    Her friends call her Mortimer, but to everyone else she is known as simply Lamont. She is always happy to pour a drink and spare a moment to chat with Lana, but this courtesy doesn’t extend to Kozmin. 

James Crowe, the volunteer intern 
    Mortimer’s roommate and closest companion. He spends his evenings at the Cat’s Meow helping out and keeping folks company, despite not being employed there. His cheery disposition and friendly nature endears him to everyone he meets. 

Grady Sinclair, the bouncer 
    His real name is Hamasaki Kaito, but everyone who wants to stay on his good side calls him Grady. This tough guy has a legendary sweet tooth with an attitude to match, but beneath his sarcastic exterior hides a warm and loyal heart.
    Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     Download

Click Here to download Free Spirits - IGMC Version!

Credits

#~ Graphics

#~ PentagonBuddy
    #~ Emmych
    #~ Casper Nilsson
        LPC Entry

#~ Daniel Armstrong (AKA HughSpectrum)

LPC Base Assets
    #~ Lanea Zimmerman (AKA Sharm)

Pixel Myth
        LPC Base Assets

#~ Writing

#~ Emmych
    #~ Jalen
    #~ PentagonBuddy

#~ Audio

#~ Kevin Mcleod
    #~ John Deley and the 41 Players (Youtube Audio Library)

#~ Sound:

#~ Enterbrain
    #~ Freesound.org
    #~ Mike Koenig

#~ Scripts

#~ TDS, the most wonderful person
    #~ Yanfly
       Krosk
    #~ modern algebra
    #~ V.M. of D.T.
    #~ SeerUK and OriginalWij

#~ Special Thanks

#~ T E S T E R S

Appel
    Eike
    Jalen
    Littleitja
    Narzisse
    mawk

Songs Used, by Kevin Macleod:

Fun in a Bottle Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Narcissus Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

No Good Layabout Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Olde Timey Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Rollin’ at 5 Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Royal Banana Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Feather Waltz Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Batty McFaddin Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Danse Morialta Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Links Out
    Contest page is located here.

Our tumblr (and most frequently updated blog) is located here.

JackCL, Mihel, Kalashnikov and 16 others like this.
  2. Deceius

Deceius The Vintage Tiger Cub Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I haven't seen you for a while, and I must say, this game is an interesting come back! As soon as I get home, I'll be playing this. :)

Welcome back!

Emmych likes this.
  3. Valkyriet

Valkyriet Pocket Panda Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I really like the screenshots (which is what I almost always base my attraction points on), so I went ahead and made a Let's Play video of your game. It only covers the intro and a small part of Chapter 1 though. To sum it all up, I really like the battle system and graphics so far (pixels FTW) and the concept of ghost hunters, so I'll keep playing and give a real review when I'm done. I'm about 80% sure I'll like what is to come ^^

My first Let's Play video, but I hope it's not too shabby. Sorry about the length as well; I got a bit carried away in reading all the dialogue.

Edit : Forgot to mention the music isn't bad either. Although I wasn't focused on it for the most part, because I was trying to figure out how to deal with the ghost.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
    Euphony, RocketKnight, Ruby and 3 others like this.
  4. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This game speaks to me on many levels. Unique visual style, unique time period, unique everything really. If you haven't given it a try you totally should.

Harold Ållaberg and Emmych like this.
  5. esby

esby eejit Veteran

This game is good stuff  :)   Plz play.

Emmych likes this.
  6. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Goodness, all these replies, and so soon! ;__;

@_elvenheart: Aw, thanks a bunch!  And gosh, yeah, it's been awhile.  Two years, I think?   And idk when Penta was last here. @__@

I really hope you enjoy the game!  Penta and I worked super hard on it. ;w;

@Valkyriet: Aah, and LP!  How flattering!  Thank you so much for taking the time to record something for us~

A few little things to respond to some of your comments: Kozmin is trans!  She presents in an androgynous way, and that involves using masculine titles (like Mr., Sir, etc.), and then she/her pronouns.  It might seem kinda confusing at first, but it's actually pretty simple.  She's not posing as a man OR a woman, she's this Other Gender that I haven't quite pinned down a name for.

Also it's New York, New York, since New York is the name of the city and the state. <W<

Grady needs more sweets since his stomach is a black hole and a simple sucker is not enough to sate his endless hunger.

Thanks again for playin'.   I'm glad you liked it, especially the tiger and the baked goods. ;w;

@Ronnie: fffff <333333  THANKS <3  What a lovely recommendation. ;___;

@ESBY'S WORLD: aaah I'm glad you enjoyed!  Thank you so much. ;w;

Ronove, Valkyriet and Ruby like this.
  7. orit641

orit641 Warper Member

Hello. I've played your game, I really like it! 
    I made to the third chapter, I think.
    I need help. they're with theie mother and they don't know what to say. I tried the flowers, it doesn't work either. the gun too. Nadia just says the same thing. I'm stuck. Help please? 

becster731 likes this.
  8. Valkyriet

Valkyriet Pocket Panda Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I finished the game some time back and I wanted to give a quick summary of my feelings towards it.

I loved the graphics, especially the character portraits. They felt individualistic and very neatly done. I loved the maps; they had a sort of retro appeal to them, and looked really nice. One feature I wasn't able to grasp here was why only a few objects were colored - I would have been very excited if, after exploring an area/map completely, it gained a colorful look. The dialogues were well thought of, and not monotonous, which (to me) is quite an achievement. The battle system was quite unique, and well thought of too, since the best way to exorcise a non-malevolent ghost would be to try and solve it's problems. Battle choices were, in that sense, chosen appropriately, and were quite fun to navigate through (although I got a little confused at first).

(Before I zone out) I would like to say that the only disappointment for me was the game length itself. There was no town-to-town traveling, like you come across in most RPGs and that was quite a turn-off, because I would've loved to explore larger cities, meet more people and solve some side-quests along the way. I understand why the time limit was necessary for the IGMC, but I would personally be really excited if a longer version of this game is released someday : )

9. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Oh, hey!  Thanks a bunch for the mini-review~

The individual colourized things was a stylistic choice that Penta can better explain, since... it's been awhile and I have Exam Brain so I can't remember the reasons we did it beyond "it looks neat and makes individual objects and characters pop."

As for the length, yup, you nailed it.  Time constraints are constraining! @___@  We have plans to expand the game in the future and add more areas, but it probably won't function like a traditional RPG with the town-to-town wandering.  I do love me some exploration, though, so while areas will remain on the small side, I'd personally love for them to have more depth, y'know? <W<  Stay tuned for more news on that front, since Penta and I are both in school/have other project commitments eating up time for now, but yes there is a future for Free Spirits~

Thanks again for all the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game. ;w; <333

Idril and Valkyriet like this.
  10. Mysticphoenix

Mysticphoenix Guardian of the Pizza Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    I like how you talk to a ghost instead of a fight.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  11. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    @Mysticpheonix: hehe, thanks! <3  It took some doin', but we did it. ;w;  Penta and I both love games where you talk to your enemy instead of beating them up, so YEE... <3

Glad you enjoyed our game!

12. Chiakscare

Chiakscare Resident Tifaholic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Would you mind if I streamed this sometime Friday? Would there be a good time for you?

13. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Ah, that would be wonderful!  Sometime in the evening works best; Penta  and I are both free then, and I'll be outta the house until around 5-6pm PST.  I also noticed you had another time on Sunday and had the game listed as just mine -- would you mind adding PentagonBuddy to the stream title?  This game was super a team effort -- it couldn't have been made without our powers being combined. >W>

Thanks a whole bunch, and thanks even more for the interest!  How flattering and nice. <3

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
  14. Chiakscare

First Language:
    English
    That was actually scheduled for last week but we cut things due to tech problems. We're all up and running find now. So if Sunday would be good for you, we'll do that. I believe PST is -2 hours, right. So it would be around 8pm my time?

If this is good for you, I'll make the tweaks to the schedule and we'll see you in the chat when you're ready!

15. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    It's -7!  Dunno what that is for you.  Also Friday is preferable -- I gotta work all day Sunday.

Hope that works!  Thanks again <3

16. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Been meaning to play this one for a while now, and I am not disappointed! I'm in the middle of Case 1 and I love it so far. The graphics are amazing, what originally drew me to the game - I especially love the portraits, and the selective coloring, just on certain items, is a really nice touch. The black-and-white gives it a silent-movie feel, which seems to fit with the setting. The music is nice, and lends to that silent-film vibe. The battle system is unique, and the gameplay is engaging.

I really like the characters; they're all well-developed. Beckett's dialogue kept making me laugh. My favorite of the siblings has got to be Lana - she's funny, she's really sweet, and she's ethical when it comes to exorcisms. I like the sibling dynamic as well, and can't wait to see how it goes, since there seems to be a little bit of disagreement at the moment.

All in all, can't wait to play more! You did a great job :)

P.S. - To potential players, if you're not sure whether or not to give this a try, I definitely recommend it!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  17. Mayuen

Mayuen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A really interesting and well made game! The whole feel of it felt fresh and interesting!

I'll put some of my other thoughts in a spoiler tag, just to be on the safe side.

I really like the idea of having the general style being in grey-scale, but the things you can interact with in color - gave it a very nice feel.
    (Especially that it changed depending on which of the characters you were playing as!)

It feels like it very much could be more to the game, both exploration wise and story wise, but I also believe it can very much stand by itself like this.

In the last part however, with the mother, I am not sure if my game just bugged out or if I am just silly, but when the mother tried talking to Nadia and they said they didn't want to talk (something among those lines, I sadly can't remember exactly to quote it) those lines kept going on for around 3-4 turns and whatever I tried to do didn't seem to help, until it suddenly changed to continue the dialogue. Maybe I just didn't realize I did the right thing but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Really well done!

18. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    @Freank: Oh, gosh!  How flattering, thank you! ;w; <3  I'll have to give that a look when I'm feeling a little more coherent.  I'm on hour... 20...something of being awake.

@Idril: goodness, what a lovely comment!  I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself.  You're not alone in Lana being your fav Kozmin sibling!  I'm sure everyone else in the cast save for Callaghan would agree with you (although even he wouldn't pick favourites!  He thinks Lana is a very nice young lady, of course~). <W<

I hope you enjoy the rest of it, and I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've finished! <3

@Mayuen: Thank you so much for YOOOUR lovely comment!  So many of them in one evening, goodness. <3 

Yeah, the Sofya thing is... a Thing we are scrapping.  There's an element of randomness to when she decides to talk to you, and unfortunately RNG was very kind to us in testing and not very kind to people actually playing!  So no worries, when we do release a polished/extended cut of the game, that'll be super fixed.  You didn't do anything wrong!  (So hey, note to Idril: when you get to Sofya and she decides to clam up, keep slamming yourself against a brick wall until she decides to talk, ah-hahahaha OTL)

Seriously tho, coming to all three of these lovely messages was such a nice surprise!  Thanks so much.  

Also, for those interested, we are gonna have this streamed tonight!  So yee, you can super check out deets over heeeere~

Idril likes this.
  19. Chiakscare

First Language:
    English
    Congratulations on making Top 10 in this years IGMC!

20. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    I just had to go check to make sure you were for real and yup, you were for real.  GOLLY.... WOW... <33333

Th-thanks bunches!  I'm gonna go get some coffee and shed tiny happy tears now ;__; <3

Idril, Razelle and Touchfuzzy like this.