Free Spirits

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Emmych, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It really was a good game. The notes I left in the judges dashboard were pretty brief. I might catch up with you sometime and give a fuller review (it was just too hard to try to do a full review for the number of games I played... aha. ha. ha)

2. Emmych

Emmych forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal Veteran

First Language:
    Anglais~
    cRIES YEAH I BET.  Penta and I were talking about how Not Jealous we were of you folks back in August, and I continue to be not jealous!  But yeesh I'm glad ya held this contest, it was super neat and fun and inspiring and huff huff huff I have a lot of warm fuzzies rn.

A more in depth review would be wonderful!  Thanks a lot, it's super flattering to hear you liked our game. ;w; 

3. PentagonBuddy

PentagonBuddy Out To Lunch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Now I feel compelled to drop in and say thanks! With just how many games were submitted, I didn't think much would come of our entry... so it's surprising to hear we're even in the top 10. Even if we don't win anything, it's been a great feeling just hearing so many flattering things, and releasing a finished game is nothing to sneeze at! it was so much work I can't believe we did that much in a month in my restless dreams I see that show text command

I'll have to draw something nice to celebrate...definitely not pictures of buff muriel...

4. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Penta I want buff muriel wrestling Grady and u know u want this also i can feel it on the wavelengths of time and also space

make my dreams come true

5. PentagonBuddy

First Language:
    English
    Only half of your dreams

for all the many kind comments and critique we've received:

[​IMG]

Emmych likes this.
  6. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm so excited for you guys!! :D :D

7. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Thaaaaanks Ronnieeee ;w; <333333

8. Chiakscare

Chiakscare Resident Tifaholic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To be sure, you guys are okay with a stream of the game in like 1.5 hours? If not, what time's good for you two?

9. PentagonBuddy

First Language:
    English
    yup, that's still fine!

10. Chiakscare

Chiakscare Resident Tifaholic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll be ready in half an hour!

11. RoseofCrimson

RoseofCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This concept blows me away. I have to put this in my top 5 rm creations just by the trailer alone.

How saddening, I cannot play it without the RTP. I'll check it out later.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
    Emmych and Freank like this.
  12. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    @RoseOfCrimson: Aw, hey, thanks!  Yeah, hopefully our next release will ACTUALLY be RTP independent... I really thought we included everything we needed in the IGMC release!!  Gah.

Anyways, here's hopin' you enjoy it~  

13. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Freank likes this.
  14. Lucin

Lucin Villager Member

First Language:
    Russian
    Wow! I'll try it later.

P.S: Your art's style is fantastic!  :)   :thumbsup-right:

15. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So ashamed that it took me this long to finish (I started in October, yikes) but life got in the way and I just now got back to it, and finished it really quickly, having been towards the tail end of getting Rex to move on.

The first thing I thought after seeing the credits roll was "I want more of this game".

The graphics were gorgeous all the way through, and the music always contributed to the atmosphere of the game. I loved how only the objects you could interact with were colored - and I really liked it when only one sibling could interact with a specific object. Even though I only found this in the church, where Kozmin could interact with what I assumed to be a bible, but Lana couldn't, I thought it was a nice touch. On a side note, I'm not sure if the church was the only place where that happened, because I didn't switch between siblings too much, since I preferred having Lana in the lead.

As far as characters go, I just adored Lana - she was definitely my favorite. My second-favorite was probably Rex, and he was most certainly my favorite of the ghosts. He was funny and had great characterization, his dialogue was great, and I even liked his attacks. Mortimer and Kozmin are tied for third favorite. Overall, all of the characters were great, and the dialogue between them was well-written and enjoyable.

I loved the battle system; I preferred using Lana's more peaceful methods of speaking to ghosts, but a couple times I just had to use Nagant, mostly on Rex to get him back down to earth when he was acting too lighthearted to talk to. All the different attacks that the ghosts used were unique and still fun, even if they were directed at me.

My favorite was probably Sofya's "smother" - it just worked so well with her character of the somewhat controlling, very overprotective mother.

All in all I just loved it, and I wish there was more - I would've loved a more open world with more ghosts, but I understand the time constraint issues and life business. It was an enjoyable length, it was great fun, and there was a nice balance of comedy and more serious elements. My favorite part was probably the final stage, even though my favorite ghost was Rex.

The final stage was so well crafted that I got teary-eyed several times, with the music and the emotional interactions, it was just beautiful and I loved it.

Sorry for the rambling - my main point is that this game is amazing, definitely highly recommended, and I wish there was more to play through.

16. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    @Idril ;____; oh my goodness what a flattering message!  Thank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed the game. ;w;

I know we haven't been putting that many updates on this page, but we are actually working on polishing up what exists/adding five more ghosts!  AND BOY IF YOU LIKED LANA AND KOZ AND MORTIMER, U WILL LOVE THOSE LEVELS

If you do want to follow development more closely, we have a tumblr as well as a RMN profile where we do more frequent updates!  Progress is a little slow atm because my health has been bad, but Penta has still been doing a whackload of behind the scenes stuff. <w<

thanks again for the lovely message!  It was just lovely to read this morning, augh ;v; <3

Idril likes this.
  17. RavenBlueIndigo

RavenBlueIndigo Veteran Veteran

I've been playing this game lately and I got stuck on one part. How do I prove that the magician had an impact? I've looked everywhere and tried many things, lol.

18. Emmych

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Hmm, dunno what part you're at from this!  Going into the encounter, you should have three items:

The newspaper clipping, which you find on the counter of the Cat's Meow, near Mortimer, the breath mints, which are found in the dressing room, and the job advertisement, which is found on the bulletin board in the main hallway.

If talk options aren't working, trying showing him these items and seeing if they work!  If that still doesn't work, he may be in the wrong mood for talking (although Lana and Kozmin should say something to tip you off if this is the case...?  I can't remember if that's something we updated or if it was in the original release), in which case you should try using the Nagant skill to frighten him, or the Comfort skill to change his mood to something more amicable.

Hope that helps!

19. RavenBlueIndigo

RavenBlueIndigo Veteran Veteran

Thanks! I'll give those a try! Also, I hope you don't mind, but I have been livestreaming this game as of recent. So far, it's one of the better games I've streamed, and one of the better-received by the viewers in my stream. :D.

20. PentagonBuddy

First Language:
    English
    Sure, and I hope it continues to be enjoyable.