RMVXA [FREE] Tale of Vassya: A New Day (Two stories, adventure RPG, 30+ hrs))

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
TALE OF VASSYA: A NEW DAY
Title.png

Introduction

Tale Of Vassya is a game being developed using RPG Maker VX Ace , and developed solely by me, Kelarly. This game has been in development on and off for about 7 years now, and it has finally completed the game. When I began, I knew this project would be an ambitious and extensive commitment, and if you know my previous work, I am one to complete a game, no matter what it takes. The game is totally FREE to play.

Updates: Ver. 1.03
Here's a summary of the fixes in this update:
- Battle re-balancing overall
- Additional battle dialogue in certain boss battles
- Additional store items available after certain points of the game
- Fixed one movement bug in Maxwell's story
- Fixed bug with Jorda Boss Battle
- Added weapon types explaination NPC
- Fixed a few missed spelling errors
- Older updates -
- Overall Battle balancing in the game
- Additional movement (WASD movement) instructions at beginning of the game
- Revised switches to fix certain events
- Added Save option after Temple of Torrent before the following boss
- Fixed Item use glitch
- Remedia Summon slightly revised to add Regen state to party

SYNOPSIS
Synopsis

The game is an Adventure RPG, and utilizes a simple side view battle system with entirely animated cast and enemies. The game has two separate stories, each with their own story, cast, enemies and path through the world of Vassya. The two stories do collide at certain points in the game, but mostly remain unique between each other. When traversing the maps, there are many lore items to find and places to explore to expand on the world's history. Enemies appear on the map and interact with you if you choose. This game does not have random encounters. There are many weapon types to experiment with. I balanced all of them to be equally useful and fun to try out.
Each of the two stories include around 15 hours of story and gameplay and at least another 5+ hours of optional content if you choose to continue on. There is a ton of content to find in each story line, and much of it works to expand on the story and the world. I was heavily inspired by the Game of Thrones series and the Final Fantasy series for this game, as you will quickly see. The story is heavy, so admittedly, there is a lot of reading, but I believe it is worth it. Every inch of Vassya is created with a purpose, and hides interesting treasures and bits of lore.
I spent a lot of time balancing and fixing any errors I could find, and it was beta tested as well. If anyone finds any game-breaking issues with the game, please comment or let me know, and I will fix it and upload an update.
Thanks for checking out my game, and I hope you all enjoy!

Summary of Features
- Two separate storylines, each with ~15+ hours of story and gameplay.
- On-screen enemies. (No more random battles! The fighting is up to YOU!).
- Lots of exploration and world lore to learn.
- Over 950 maps created.
- Hunts System
- More than 10 unique weapon types.​

DOWNLOAD LINK

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
Image collab 1.jpg
Image collab 2.jpg

SECTION A: STORYLINE/PLOT
The world of Vassya has been at peace for over a century. There are many different lineages of people spread throughout all the major cities in the world. One fateful night, King Orick Maxwell II, the king of Capitol City, was found murdered in cold blood. The culprit, a man named Dmitry Juleon, is still at large. After the first royal murder in over 100 years, the world of Vassya is very much unsettled, and tensions are beginning to rise between the cities. It is up to our two main characters to figure out how to restore Vassya to its peaceful time, and find themselves a long the way.

The story of TOV is told through two different perspectives. Our lead characters, Damian and Maxwell, each have their own unique story within the world of Vassya. Each of the two stories has a main story game time of around 15-20 hours (EACH!). The two characters travel through similar areas of the world, at different times and experience different events.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
Damian Marquis
damian.png
Damian is a young man living in Capitol City. He is a member of the city guard, that watch the city streets and keeps crime at bay. He is one of the last descendants of the extinct Rhegar Lineage, through his mother's side. Damian is very eager to get out of Capitol City and see what the rest of Vassya has to offer.

Orick Maxwell III
max.png
Everyone he knows personally calls him "Maxwell". After the night of his Father's murder, Maxwell's life turned dark. Formerly the heir to the throne and captain of the city guard, Maxwell gave up all his duties and fled from Capitol City. Maxwell is now a loner, searching Vassya for a purpose.

Pearce Yashra
pearce.png
Pearce is known as the Genius of Capitol City. He is a member of the city guard and friends with Damian and Maxwell. Pearce relies on logic to make his decisions, and when confronted with something out of his knowledge, he combats it with his intellect.

Geddard Marquis
Geddard.png
Geddard is King Orick Maxwell's oldest friend, who has taken the responsibility of King of Capitol after young Maxwell fled the city. Geddard is also Damian's father, who is having difficulty being King and a father at the same time.

Aurelia Rhegar
Aurelia.png
Damian's mother, who died of a disease when Damian was young. She was one of the last of the Rhegar Lineage, which became almost extinct over the years.

Dmitry Juleon
Dmitry.png
He has been named the murderer of King Orick Maxwell II and many others. He has gone into hiding since the murder, and his motivations are unknown.

Kiara Juleon
Kiara.png
She is a mysterious girl who seems to want to follow Maxwell on his journey. She seems to know something about Dmitry Juleon, but it is uncertain what she knows...

Red Hooded Man
Red Hooded Man.png
A mysterious hooded man, who seems to know Damian and may have supernatural abilities. His motivations are currently unknown.​

SECTION C: TRAILERS

SECTION D: Credits
Graphics
Kazzador
Shiro
Vibrato
kurimaw82
FenixFyreX
Rmvx mastah
Spikeball
Soruve
???nOBodY???

Scripts
Victor Sant
Matt Sully (Gump)
Jet10985 (Jet)
Pacman
Moby
Yanfly
Wyrelade
XaiL

Thank you for checking out my game.
Please contact me or comment if anyone finds any game-breaking issues or glitches, and I will work fast to fix them and upload an update.
Would love to hear some feedback on what you all think of the game.

In addition, I have completed 6 RPG Maker Games in the past. The older games like the Castle Oblivions are more "amateur" than my later games, but check them out if you are interested.

Attachments

• Image collab 1.jpg
    Image collab 1.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Image collab 2.jpg
    Image collab 2.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 7
  • damian.png
    damian.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Title copy.png
    Title copy.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Trapped by YOGS!!! I am in a corner and cannot eliminate the YOGS. I assume I need to attack the one Yog of another color, but I am trapped by them and cannot escape. I cannot jump down either. This is a bad puzzle design especially considering I can only save at crystals in the game.

TrappedInCorner_YOGS.png

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
Trapped by YOGS!!! I am in a corner and cannot eliminate the YOGS. I assume I need to attack the one Yog of another color, but I am trapped by them and cannot escape. I cannot jump down either. This is a bad puzzle design especially considering I can only save at crystals in the game.

View attachment 197747
Ah I see! You should have been able to defeat the Yogs to make them disappear, but looks like they aren't doing that. The green ones are super slow, so you should be able to catch the Purple one easily. But obviously, that's not how it was meant to be designed.
I fixed this area, and uploaded an updated version of the game, which you can download here if you want:
Tale of Vassya: A New Day Ver 1.01

I also updated the link in the top post. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Good game so far. But, I found an issue when using "Special" items that permanently raise various stats. I have a tendency to save those type of items and then apply to various characters as needed later in the game. However, when you use one of these items on a character, then the entire inventory on hand is applied to that character. I just had someone gain 150HP because I had 3 of those HP power-ups in inventory. It happened with a different item before, but I thought I did something wrong at that time.

I think I have found a minor glitch. The blue chest released by the switches in the Temple of Torrent still appears above the center switch and is also at the bottom of the falls. Unless there are 2 chests?
after chest dropped_appears this location and at bottom of falls.png

Also, I need a key for the gate and I assume it is in the blue chest. How do you gain access to the chest? There is no way of shutting off the waterfall or jumping down from above. Unless I have to eliminate every enemy, I think I have done everything I can to this point. Puzzles are fine, but they should have a logical solution.

Last edited:

Kaimi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have a question regarding a boss battle in Damian's Side:
In a battle against an imposter Templar in which Yuoran is in enemy party, is Yuoran supposed to die? I beat the silent guy, but the battle continues on.

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
Good game so far. But, I found an issue when using "Special" items that permanently raise various stats. I have a tendency to save those type of items and then apply to various characters as needed later in the game. However, when you use one of these items on a character, then the entire inventory on hand is applied to that character. I just had someone gain 150HP because I had 3 of those HP power-ups in inventory. It happened with a different item before, but I thought I did something wrong at that time.

I think I have found a minor glitch. The blue chest released by the switches in the Temple of Torrent still appears above the center switch and is also at the bottom of the falls. Unless there are 2 chests?

Also, I need a key for the gate and I assume it is in the blue chest. How do you gain access to the chest? There is no way of shutting off the waterfall or jumping down from above. Unless I have to eliminate every enemy, I think I have done everything I can to this point. Puzzles are fine, but they should have a logical solution.
Oh ok, yes it looks like using the stat boosting items is glitched for some reason. I can't figure out why it uses all of them on one character. I'll have to look into that.

As for the blue chest in the Temple of Torrent, it is glitching when it still appears above the characters like in your pic. The chest at the bottom of the falls is the real chest, and you need to raise the water level back to the top level in order to access that chest. The crystals in the first room of the temple control the water levels.

I have a question regarding a boss battle in Damian's Side:
In a battle against an imposter Templar in which Yuoran is in enemy party, is Yuoran supposed to die? I beat the silent guy, but the battle continues on.
Hmm, the battle is supposed to end once you defeat the boss. You will lose the battle if Yuoran is defeated by the boss. Is the battle not ending after the boss is defeated?

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the water level info. The crystals turned dark, so I assumed they were "depleted." Obviously, I am now at the "Zalvati" boss battle after the locked gate. My party is at Lvl 10 and 11 and is getting decimated despite my approach. I assume going after the water elementals 1st is a good idea, but only 2 characters are available to attack because the other 2 are trying to keep everyone alive.

With a 15k HP boss, the 2 elementals are certainly "overkill".

At what level did you expect the party to be when encountering this boss?

Kaimi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm, the battle is supposed to end once you defeat the boss. You will lose the battle if Yuoran is defeated by the boss. Is the battle not ending after the boss is defeated?
Yes, the battle is not ending when the boss is defeated. Strangely killing her ends the battle and it appears to play out as she survives.

However there's another thing:
I'm in those canyons area and have attempted multiple times to defeat the boss there, the Chimera, but it simply appears impossible. Either one is too low level to survive any of its attacks so you grind, but it appears the more you grind the more aggressive its AI acts? When I leveled up to average level 21 when the boss hit low HP it started to use 2 abilities in a row which is already way too deadly with its Breaths that deal about 600 dmg each no matter the party's stats, but increase your party level by even like 2 levels and it starts to use like 5+ abilities in a row in a single turn making it virtually impossible to beat. I swear... default RPG Maker damage formulas are not usable at all.

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
Thanks for the water level info. The crystals turned dark, so I assumed they were "depleted." Obviously, I am now at the "Zalvati" boss battle after the locked gate. My party is at Lvl 10 and 11 and is getting decimated despite my approach. I assume going after the water elementals 1st is a good idea, but only 2 characters are available to attack because the other 2 are trying to keep everyone alive.

With a 15k HP boss, the 2 elementals are certainly "overkill".

At what level did you expect the party to be when encountering this boss?
I would say you shouldn't have any difficulties with the boss at like 2 or so more levels. You are slightly under-leveled there, so around level 13 you should be good. If you utilize thunder attacks like Damian's thunder attack, and giving Urian thunder force, then Zalvati's HP will melt.
It's a summon battle, so I did intentionally make it slightly tougher.
Also, just a creator's note, be sure to save your game after beating Zalvati!

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
Yes, the battle is not ending when the boss is defeated. Strangely killing her ends the battle and it appears to play out as she survives.

However there's another thing:
I'm in those canyons area and have attempted multiple times to defeat the boss there, the Chimera, but it simply appears impossible. Either one is too low level to survive any of its attacks so you grind, but it appears the more you grind the more aggressive its AI acts? When I leveled up to average level 21 when the boss hit low HP it started to use 2 abilities in a row which is already way too deadly with its Breaths that deal about 600 dmg each no matter the party's stats, but increase your party level by even like 2 levels and it starts to use like 5+ abilities in a row in a single turn making it virtually impossible to beat. I swear... default RPG Maker damage formulas are not usable at all.
That is strange, never happened to me during any playthroughs. The battle is supposed to abort after the boss is defeated. I'll look into it for the next update.
-
- As for the Chimera boss, it only uses its breath attacks after casting elemental forces on itself. You can dispel the elemental force on him, then he won't be able to use his breaths. That was my intended strategy to defeat him. I'll also play with that boss balancing it in the next update.
Good luck! And let me know if you run into anything else concerning.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would say you shouldn't have any difficulties with the boss at like 2 or so more levels. You are slightly under-leveled there, so around level 13 you should be good. If you utilize thunder attacks like Damian's thunder attack, and giving Urian thunder force, then Zalvati's HP will melt.
It's a summon battle, so I did intentionally make it slightly tougher.
Also, just a creator's note, be sure to save your game after beating Zalvati!

I had used thunder (and "Aim") for the 2 characters and took out the Water Elementals first and then finally got lucky with enemies blocking instead of attacking. It took 10+ times to finally win with 2 living party members. And all my resurrection potions (5-6) and First Aid Kits (4), plus a bunch of other recovery items were depleted.

Thanks for the save advice. But I needed the 2 dead characters to be resurrected, so I had to do so. That's where I stopped several hours ago.

I found a glitch with Damian, unless this is by design. He is not affected by the "First Aid Kit" or "Remedia" summoning. And I have a specific issue with "Remedia, Bringer of Life" who only gives 100% HP/MP (except none for Damian) and some TP. No resurrection happens which is kind of lame for the "Bringer of LIfe." Just sayin'.

EDIT:
Big game design problem. There should be at least an additional save point (I don't know where/how) before encountering that 2nd boss battle after encountering that ring of people cutscene. And with no resurrection potions, it will be even harder to win the battle with Yuoran in the party. I may now be in an impossible situation with no possible resurrection and therefore have to rely on pure luck.

As a note, any game problems with this battle may be caused by Yuoran being in the enemy troop listing. Therefore, she is not a party member even a NPC party member.

Last edited:

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
I had used thunder (and "Aim") for the 2 characters and took out the Water Elementals first and then finally got lucky with enemies blocking instead of attacking. It took 10+ times to finally win with 2 living party members. And all my resurrection potions (5-6) and First Aid Kits (4), plus a bunch of other recovery items were depleted.

Thanks for the save advice. But I needed the 2 dead characters to be resurrected, so I had to do so. That's where I stopped several hours ago.

I found a glitch with Damian, unless this is by design. He is not affected by the "First Aid Kit" or "Remedia" summoning. And I have a specific issue with "Remedia, Bringer of Life" who only gives 100% HP/MP (except none for Damian) and some TP. No resurrection happens which is kind of lame for the "Bringer of LIfe." Just sayin'.

EDIT:
Big game design problem. There should be at least an additional save point (I don't know where/how) before encountering that 2nd boss battle after encountering that ring of people cutscene. And with no resurrection potions, it will be even harder to win the battle with Yuoran in the party. I may now be in an impossible situation with no possible resurrection and therefore have to rely on pure luck.

As a note, any game problems with this battle may be caused by Yuoran being in the enemy troop listing. Therefore, she is not a party member even a NPC party member.
I'm glad you got it beat! Like I said, you are probably a bit under-leveled. I tried to balance all the bosses based on if the player fights most of the enemies within the maps.
- For the glitch with items not healing Damian, I have no idea why that would happen. That's never occurred during any of my playthroughs or my beta tester's playthroughs. Does that continue happening even after recovering at a save point?
- I'll consider making Remedia summon recover from death as well. That's not a bad idea.
- Yes, I agree with adding an extra save point between the Templar fights and the following boss. That boss with Yuoran is actually easier than the Zalvati fight, so it's far from impossible, and you just need to rely on your abilities and left over items and the boss will go down.
- Having her as part of the troop was the only way I could figure out how to do that fight with her in it.
Thanks for your notes. I'll most likely update the game this week.

Kaimi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That is strange, never happened to me during any playthroughs. The battle is supposed to abort after the boss is defeated. I'll look into it for the next update.
-
- As for the Chimera boss, it only uses its breath attacks after casting elemental forces on itself. You can dispel the elemental force on him, then he won't be able to use his breaths. That was my intended strategy to defeat him. I'll also play with that boss balancing it in the next update.
Good luck! And let me know if you run into anything else concerning.
I think the main problem with the Chimera fight is that you can stack a ton of Force enhancements which probably results in Chimera using a salvo of them when it gets low on HP. I think that when it comes to Force enhancements only one should be active (e.g. Fire Force should remove other Force enhancements from the target aside of bestowing Fire Force to it) so it won't result in an assault of Forces and Breaths from a critically wounded Chimera.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm glad you got it beat! Like I said, you are probably a bit under-leveled. I tried to balance all the bosses based on if the player fights most of the enemies within the maps.
- For the glitch with items not healing Damian, I have no idea why that would happen. That's never occurred during any of my playthrougconditionshs or my beta tester's playthroughs. Does that continue happening even after recovering at a save point?
- I'll consider making Remedia summon recover from death as well. That's not a bad idea.
- Yes, I agree with adding an extra save point between the Templar fights and the following boss. That boss with Yuoran is actually easier than the Zalvati fight, so it's far from impossible, and you just need to rely on your abilities and left over items and the boss will go down.
- Having her as part of the troop was the only way I could figure out how to do that fight with her in it.

I understand fighting "all the enemies" and I like the use of visible enemies. A design solution I prefer above all other choices is to populate most areas with enemies that don't respawn once they are defeated (of course, bats or bugs in a cave could be an exception). In that way, a player seeks out to eliminate all enemies in that area. Of course, that means the player will be at an appropriate level as they move through the game. Respawning just because the party has left a room is just fatiguing to me. The Hunts you included are also an excellent option.

Damian is restored at the save crystals. But for some strange reason, he is ignored when those other 2 conditions happen. He can be individually healed, also. Is there possibly a piece of equipment that could cause it? It is not logical.

The boss with Yuoran was much easier, but it still took me 2x to beat it. That is why I mentioned a save being useful. Even a "Yes/No" window would work.

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
Update:
I have uploaded an updated game file, Ver 1.02 with lots of fixes to the problems you all have brought up.
You can download it and copy over your saves if you please. The links are also updated in the top post.
Here's a summary of the fixes in this update:
- Overall Battle balancing in the game.
- Additional movement (WASD movement) instructions at beginning of the game.
- Revised switches to fix certain events.
- Added Save option after Temple of Torrent before the following boss.
- Fixed Item use glitch (this one was very difficult to figure out, but looks like I had conflicting scripts causing a glitch).
- Remedia Summon slightly revised to add Regen state to party.

Hopefully there aren't any more issues with it, but with as big as the game is, I'm sure there will be something.
So I'm happy to continue updating as much as I can.

Last edited:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mahalo nui loa for the update. Really appreciate the tweaks you added.

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
Update:
I have once more uploaded an updated game file, Ver 1.03 with much more balancing for the battles and skills in the game, as well as many quality of life additions.
You can download it and copy over your saves if you please. The links are also updated in the top post.

Here's a summary of the additions in this update:
- Battle re-balancing overall
- Additional battle dialogue in certain boss battles
- Additional store items available after certain points of the game
- Fixed one movement bug in Maxwell's story
- Fixed bug with Jorda Boss Battle
- Added weapon types explanation NPC
- Fixed a few missed spelling errors

Unless any further issues pop up, this should be a more final update to the game. I'm happy to fix anything that shows up if anyone finds anything. Please let me know.
Thanks again!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

gotta love when a plugin you thought had nothing to do with why something else wasn't working winds up being the issue...
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th September 2021

Well... it's been a while since I was last here :kaoswt: I don't want to say I'm officially 'back' yet, but I've recently started working with RM again, so I might become active here again :kaohi:
Mmmm I love Coca Cola candy! :kaoluv:
aaaand my power is out. I sometimes think that I'm cursed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pipgea