[FREE TUTORIAL GAME FOR VX ACE] Events

Discussion in 'RMVX Ace Tutorials' started by Dreadshadow, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GREETINGS EVERYONE!
    This thread is about a tutorial game named "EVENTS".

I made it for people who would like to play a video game that can teach them almost everything on RPG Maker VX Ace in about 4 to 5 hours. I say "almost everything" because scripting and parallax mapping and shift mapping are the three things, I did NOT included, because I had only one month to finish the project.

• IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO PLAY IT, YOU MUST FIRST DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL RPG MAKER VX ACE RTP. YOU CAN FIND IT BY CLICKING HERE!
    • CLICK ME TO GET EVENTS!
    BEFORE DOWNLOADING IT: Keep in mind that some browsers classsify exe files without any digital signature as malicious. Guess what! RPG Maker games don't have any digital signature, thus some browsers might detect them as malware. To my knowledge, this is a false positive, but just to make sure, after downloading it, scan it with an anti virus, just to be sure.

The story behind the project:
    I once was active mostly on Steam community. And that's how things got started. On discount periods, all the community users, were receiving a load of questions in the Steam forum, that were actually questions already answered many times, that were repeated again and again. Most of the people don't search for just a "fast" and "simple" quetion. People don't even use google. Others, take a look at big text tutorials and say TLDR.. Many people hate reading whatsoever. And Video tutorials, sometimes take forever to finish. It seems that patience is a merit missing today from the majority of people, I blame technology for that, but that's how things are.
    Thus a community should enhance and evolve in order to satisfy its members needs, in better and faster ways. I don't really care much why people do something. I watch them doing it. And I sit down and think about what I can do to help them. So I came up with an idea of a real tutorial game for RPG Maker VX Ace. So I decided to take it slow... and slow... and never started. :p
    Then a contest with a deadline came up. The game was my submission on the first Indie Game Making Contest. I wasn't going for the money, I was focused on making something other people would like. That's why it is also FOR FREE.
    (It is also for free because it is full of typos and bugs and because it sucks but whatever...)

Contest result:

They found it solid as a tutorial,but it needed more work as a game.
    Finished 108th/750.
    EXTRA INFO ON EVENTS AFTER PLAYING:
    How to make a Timer work properly:
    Events covers all basics. ;)
    Timer though, is a little tricky, even for me. I had to understand what was going on with the program to build it right, so here is the solution.Thanks goes to @Andar for that solution:
    http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/51-event-system-support-expert-users-only/?p=365266

More Tutorials pl0x:
    Check my signature, pressing the spoiler button there, to find a picture that links on @Andar's tutorials.
    Who is @Andar? He is a Global Moderator here who helps us out when we don't know how to do stuff. And he is an awesome guy. ;)

Even MORE Tutorials pl0x:
    Well check @GrandmaDeb's list on my signature too. She is a fantastic list maker and a very beloved member of the community.

IT SEEMS I CAN'T DO SOMETHING USING EVENTS. OR MAYBE USING EVENTS WILL BE TOO MUCH WORK TO DO. IS THERE ANOTHER WAY?
    Yes. Scripts. Some general scripts are given for free by Yanfly, Yami, Galv and Fomar. If you need a script that will do CERTAIN stuff, not so common, for your own game only, you can always hire a coder to make this for you for a reasonable price. I am not sure if they accept requests at the moment but I know one who does and he is also a fantatic person. I personally consider him trustworthy, so his nickname is CP also known as NeonBlack. You can find a link to his workshop inside my signature.

The sequel is for RPG Maker MV:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...v-full-tutorial-game-for-rpg-maker-mv.101319/

Edits:
    Latest edit: Making the Thread more... readable :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Thanks. I love game-tutorials. Is it really four hours long! Wow. What an effort!

Did you cover every event command? (I am seriously asking!)

Maybe list a category or two of what you covered. Thanks for posting this!

Shinma and Dreadshadow like this.
  3. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Parallax mapping and scripts were left out. EVERY other thing is covered.

As you can undertstand, explaining everything from a GUI to all event commands, and then the database, takes time, so yes it has a 4 hours playtime. I am serious. The GUI, the Event Commands, The Database. 100%

Just exclude the Parallax mapping commands, and the scripting part

Some lame jokes keep the fun factor up and the final boss is Failure.

No need to open a project, play, then close the game and see the project then relaunch te game etc etc.

EVERYTHING is in a form of pictures inside the game.

It aims for the beginners while it can teach a few things to more experienced users.

Enjoy! :D

Edit reason: Correcting a few typos while creating new I guess :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  4. Zede_

Zede_ Huge Nerd Member

First Language:
    English
    I'll check this out. I already know a lot about the engine, but maybe you covered something I didn't know. Either way, it seems like a pretty cool project to check out. I'll try downloading it now, but if it takes too long I'll probably wait until I can access my PC. Looking forward to playing it.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  5. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    NO RTP version is 18.5 MB

The RTP version is more than 200MB though,

So if you got the RTP, just get the small version for your convenience.

Thank you for your interest.

6. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is a really great idea! More people should play this. It's like a long, fun tutorial game on RPG Maker. :D

7. Cmdr Haggis

Cmdr Haggis Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Dreadshadow, I just had to come and post a big "thank you" for your work here.  I've been cruising along with the various web, print, and video tutorials RPG Maker VX Ace for about a week now and learnng quite a bit of information.  However, your tutorial game is boring and fun, ho-hum and exciting, dumb and funny, lame and brilliant --- and it is AMAZING how easy you've made it to LEARN the program!  What could easily be dry, dusty material you've magically transformed into a solid tool with which a complete newcomer to RMVX Ace can use to truly become proficient.  It demonstrated just how all the myriad components of the program glue together to create a finished product.  I can't think of a time when I had more fun learning something.  Using the tool to teach the tool itself was simply clever.  But turning the learning process into a role-playing game was a master stroke, in my opinion.

Kudos!

To anyone else who, like me, is a complete newbie to RPG Maker VX Ace:  get this game and give it a run.  I think you'll be amazed at how much you learn with it.

cmdr haggis

Marquise* and Dreadshadow like this.
  8. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much Cmdr Haggis.

Really.

It's comments like this that drive me do more and better stuff.

I am really glad you liked it and I am really happy you enjoyed and learned stuff.

I really appreciate your support.

I am planning to fix some typos and spelling stuff left behind and also some minor bugs.

There will be a newer version even more polished. No big difference though.

Cheers mate!

9. maoyurui

maoyurui Villager Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Since I'm a curious type of person I will try this. I'll be back to post again and say my thoughts on this one :)

Really getting excited for some reason >.<

Dreadshadow likes this.
  10. Krishna Siva

Krishna Siva Extremely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great, man, Great! really helpful for newbies.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  11. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    maoyurui

Thanks for trying it. I will be expecting your feedback.  :)   :thumbsup-right:

Krish GM

Thank you. Hope you enjoyed it.  :)   :thumbsup-right:

12. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A very, nicely made tutorial for events.

I can see a lot of work went into making this.

There are excellent use of pictures to introduce the interface and commands.

A bit of storyline and a lot of humour present in the tutorial helps to break the monotony from just sitting and reading walls of texts.

Great use of Celianna's Rural Farm Tiles to make the game look more attractive.

Even I learned a few things from this tutorial.

Advice to users:

- Play this tutorial expecting to learn about the interface and events in general.

- As this is a tutorial, expect to see a lot of texts in-games.

- Have an open project file handy side-by-side this tutorial so that you can review and test rightaway what the tutorial is talking about.

- Save often. Plenty of monsters abound, hoping for you to fail.

- Post here or PM the creator of this tutorial if you have questions or if there anything you want to suggest for him to change. Or you can just post to show him some love for his efforts. ^^

Bugs? :

There are no real bugs to speak off, except for the ones intentionally placed there by the maker, and they are harmless. ^^
    Overall, a very good effort and solid tutorial, Dreadshadow. I'll be sending you a PM (or email if that's what you want) with some suggestions later.

Marsigne, Dalph and Dreadshadow like this.
  13. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please do. 

I really welcome suggestions and I would love to have an email!

Just to use this email i set up for it at last.

Used it only once when a person sent me a bug report I managed to fix on time.

His nickname was added in credits! :p

Edit:

I used it more than once, just forgot about it.

There was  one person who already sent me.

And I just entered to find a second one with feedback.  :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  14. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Guess what I got you on my Steam Profile and credits and all?

15. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  16. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There's a reason I keep posting this game as an answer when someone asks me about events. It's a pretty dayum good tutorial! Also Dread, deadlines rule!!!

Dreadshadow likes this.
  17. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Deadlines can also turn your hair into a nice gray color.

Trust me on this. :p

But yes, putting a goal into a timeframe, is almost guaranteed that you will have better progress that taking your time doing everything.

Marquise* and Dimitris like this.
  18. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Nice tutorial! I already knew a fair bit about VX Ace, but I still learnt a lot. Cheers!

Also, if this came 108th/750 then i'm curious, what won, because if 108th is that good, then what on earth could first be like?! :o

Really good tutorial, thanks! ;)

Dreadshadow and Dimitris like this.
  19. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for your kind words @Jakus789.

I am glad you enjoyed it!

There were FANTASTIC games in the competition. This is more tutorial than game, thus the judges were correct.

I would do the same. But I enjoyed making it and participating anyway.

Next time, I will participate making an actual game! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
    Seriel, Dimitris and Susan like this.
  20. crazycatgames

crazycatgames Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    So theres this problem im having where my character is in the center of commands or whatever its called. Then Wise Old Cliche Guide talks about making my character invisible. He does but now my character is stuck invisible! I can't see where im going and i keep getting into random fights trying to find me way around. So frustrating!