Freebies Suggestions

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So after updating my website I realized that the freebies I have on my website are horribly outdated, and I want to make a new set of freebies in the newer style.

So please, if you have suggestions of the sort of things you would like, list them here! What I am thinking is mostly focusing on character creation items that can be included free with the character creator software. Something along the lines of 1 or 2 base templates for both males and females, along with 1-3 of each top, bottom, footwear, accessory, and hair/facial hair, and maybe (maybe) some other stuff depending on suggestions/feedback.

So let me know what your suggestions are! And if you want to suggest a freebie that is not related to the character creator pieces, feel free to put it forward as well.

Thanks!

The007who

Call me double 0s
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is this only MV?
If you can could you make a cigarette pack with a lighter(VX Ace style)?
Would be awesome :)
Thanks

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2 words:
Chainmail Bikini (like the awesome Dragon Slayer chick)

Also, an armor similar to the Archangel freebie and the Paladin's freebie armor, and oversized weapons.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Elven ears

Demon horns

Backlash404

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Definitely stuff like mardin mentioned like ears, horns, animal ears, tails, wings (Im thinking laguz from fire emblem). Because those would be a single item that you can throw on any character to get it an entire new race/personality. Im not sure how well it would work with the templates but maybe different eyes so you can have demon eyes or cat eyes. Other than that maybe some really cool 'legendary' weapons or armor.
Oh and I am not sure if this is in any packs yet but glasses.

HasdrubalBarca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more a armor options. Maybe things like gambesons, hauberks, brigandines, breastplates stuff like that. More realistic armor options. You have a few quilted jacket options in the Warfare pack but they lack sleeves. I think full length gambeson pieces could be very versatile. Or maybe more plate armor styles.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
NPC folks with different builds than of the characters. A fat guy with bartender/blacksmith/buffon outfits. A fat lady. A hunched old man/woman. Children. No need for dozens of outfits, just the most archetypical ones, 3 to 5 at max for each.

This avoids the "ugly face / hot body" female and "everyone is fit" because everything must follow the base template.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe like what Pine said. Would sure be niece to get extra clothing pieces, but what about making characters that we actually can't produce with PV character pieces? The previous freebies were of great quality and variety and even shape.

ekhartpl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thirding the "unusual" characters. Hunched elders, dirty workers, fat barkeeps. Maybe a chubby noble kid, or a soldier with an arm cut at an elbow?

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is this only MV?
If you can could you make a cigarette pack with a lighter(VX Ace style)?
Would be awesome :)
Thanks
Only doing the MV style for now!

2 words:
Chainmail Bikini (like the awesome Dragon Slayer chick)

Also, an armor similar to the Archangel freebie and the Paladin's freebie armor, and oversized weapons.
The paladin style armor (the exact set) I am working into the Plague Bringer pack - I thought it would be cool to add something for the folk that want a military order to come in and burn the plagued village down :)

Generally regarding fancier/more armor; I was going to be putting these into a small add-on pack already focused around Tourneys (plus some additional tilesets for things like lists, rafters, colorful tents, other tourney grounds items). This is also where horses and horse barding will be.

As for unusual-shaped characters, I can do that. I can throw in a handful of fat/skinny/bent/etc generic type characters.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Updated icons to better match the MV stuff.

examples: a generic icon for each weapon class (sword, bow, greatsword), armor piece icons for individual positions (like chest), accessories like rings, one for each magic type (my choices: fire, water, ice, Earth, air, lightning, dark, light, healing, toxic), things like runes, hilts, gems (weapon augmentation, and some things for key items (books, keys, orbs, jewels).

You could even make a more modular icon set (different backgrounds, small Roman numerals to indicate skill levels, symbols to indicate fire enchanted, etc)

Edit: for pieces: mage robes, enchanted armor (glowy and magical), magical weapons, thief leather outfuts, and the one I really want...

...A hoodie cape for armor and robes.

Last edited:

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A rapier! RAPIER! I can't have a class named Duelist without a rapier! : D

Also, I know it isn't character creator related, and likely not good as a freebie, but perhaps a low stone wall, like you'd see running along the sides of country roads in England? Maybe as an update in the future? We could make our roads fancy!

Something kinda like this, although that is a bit more modern looking https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8a/5b/f2/8a5bf229e661434acc7a6f14e5e684b4.jpg

JackCL

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I would like more different faces, so that people in the game did not look like twins. And the ability to generate children's chars.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Maybe some shorter, earthier cliff tiles? Best reference I can give really is in Celianna's tiles, there are rounded, brownish, one tile high cliffs one could use as hills/smaller, less steep inclines. I tried to use the trench pieces in the Warfare pack but it doesn't work too well.

Edit i am in the wrong thread lol. Not meant to suggest as freebie.

Last edited:

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Haha, no worries @PsychicToaster, I will see what I can whip up in general for this (I too would like some of these!) - as for a rapier, there shall be one in the pirate/sea set :) If you mean more like a fencing foil type rapier, I will look into it!

@JackCL - I will not be making items to make children ever. I will, once in a great while, make pre-made child characters to use, but that will be it.
As for faces, each template has a different face (similar body though, which is necessary otherwise it would never work to make your own characters), so the more templates you get, the more varieties there are (further modified by adjusting skin tone, adding different facial hair, scars, etc).

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm thinking that to save you some work but also expand on reducing what some may call "sameface" syndrome for amateurs would be simple accessories that aren't exactly/barely visible on sprites but can be seen on portraits should work. Thinking along the lines of piercings and eyewear. The little details to make a character stand out. Not that you'd see them on the spritesheets.

Last edited:

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Whips

Flails

Javelin throw

Floating elemental orbs for mages (like fire orbs circling the caster.

Hovering poses (mages and perhaps wings).

Dual wielding (perhaps with separate left and right hand to mix n match)

Fire, lightning, ice, light, dark enchanted weapons.

Bows made of completely of lightning, fire, ice (or other weapons) (perhaps only appear in attack animation).

Enchanted shields.

Skeleton army as a weapon

Twig weapon.

Some random ideas

Phantasie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Just thought of something (I own all the packs and hope I didnt miss them)

What about some free treasure: Gold piles, gems, animated treasure chests, etc.

The goal of your freebies should be to promote the paid for product and make people want to buy the packs. Any what do people want more than good loot?

Another example might be a mountain of gold that works around the black dragon you made. People see the gold and like it, then want the black dragon to go with it! Include a special animation for the black dragon Smaug-ing it up on his pile :)

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Treasure Chests as character sprites would indeed be great. I've taken to using slightly darkened versions of the original assets for it, but PV styled treasure chests would be fantastic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ytviews123