Freeze Player Movement?

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is there a way to make it so that a player absolutely can't move at all? I want to have a scene where a button must be mashed in order to get away from something, but I can't see a way to make it so that the player can't just keep moving on.  The wait command wouldn't work, because it wouldn't register the button presses until afterwards. Any ideas?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try changing the event that checks for button mashing to an autorun event. I'm not actually sure if this will work. Autorun stops the player controlling the character.

Don't put your check into a loop, as autorun events loop by default.

Loke

Hyperactive Art Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty sure autorunning an event stops the player in his tracks. But you should ask someone who's better at eventing, such as... someone who isn't me, haha.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I will third their suggestions... use an autorun for the checking (maybe with a few frames wait or none)... since autorun stops player movement and it loops by default, it will solve your problem... :)

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, the event that would cause such button mashing is supposed to be a trigger, not an autorun. Basically, if said thing is chasing you and catches up with you. Let me try and sum this up in a simple manner:

A dude is chasing you. I want it to be so that if he catches up with you, you're unable to move until you hit spacebar enough times.

I've already got the thing for the button mash taken care of. But what I need is to freeze the player until certain amount of button input has been made, and of course, make a condition for failure of the player to do so. An autorun event..i'm having trouble seeing how this would work.

I also searched the RPG Maker VX Ace scripts list and found nothing helpful. I think I would compare what i'm looking to similar button mash scenes like in Paranoiac. Like when the monster grabs your foot at the piano scene. Except it's set to a button input rather than a choice selection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N0mbnaURIPM#t=828

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
self-switches and event pages... the first page which follows you is a trigger based event, then once it triggers, you use self switches to switch to the autorun page... then in the autorun page, you simply check if the button is pressed, increase a variable, then check if the variable equals some amount, if it is then either erase event or switch pages again depending on what you need to do... then you can also count frames in another variable so that if the button mash variable don't get to the certain amount once the frame count variable reaches a certain amount, you can do consequences

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Started trying to use autoruns for it, and once the first autorun event page starts, lockup. *sigh*

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
what lock up? oh wait... you might just wanna loop a text box that shows nothing and uses transparent window... though that means you will be checking for accept button and not space bar...

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm lost. If someone could produce an example and either make pictures or zip up a demo for me, that would help. Because i'm quite le stuck. I always did do better with visual aids D:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
if you're fine with using accept button instead of spacebar

right after you get touched by the event (without switching event pages really)

loop

Show text: (no text, transparent background)

Control Variables: [001] += 1

Conditional branch: Variable [001] == 10

Go to label: pressed

else

end

end loop

label: pressed

though if you want to have consequences if he didn't manage to do it on time, you'd need to have probably another event that runs on parallel process and is activated (switches) before the loop, which waits for the time limit, then does something else (and maybe disable the button masher (switches + another event page on the mash event)... then if he managed to press, just disable the switch to disable the timer event...

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Say, for putting consequence for failure in, wouldn't changing the textbox and putting in some text wait code and a no input code into the textbox work? I.E:

Text: \|\|\^

EDIT: I have something that almost works, but it's not button mash, and the player can't move afterward, win or lose.

EDIT 2: Alright, I think I got it. There's just one more problem. Letting the event catch up with the player doesn't trigger it. It's more like the player has to use the directional buttons to move into the triggering event. And yes, the trigger is event touch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am feeling better about my update schedule, I feel like I am actually getting consistent work done even if it isn’t big updates.
It's a joy to work on a well-made map. I am not regretting this commission in the least!
I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thunderwarp