Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya everyone!
In my game there's going to be a friendhip system (not so subtly) inspired by the persona series
Thing is,i don't really wanna use Arcana,cause that would be too blatant as an inspiration,and possibly stepping in plagiarism
So,ideas about what i can use?

Things i've consideredusing by now are:
- The zodiac: considering how at least 3 of them are going to be fully story driven,12 is kinda too little
-chinese zodiac: see above

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, how you define your friendship system? How to improve the friendship or it is just like the faith of zodiac when your birthmark is determined before the game of who the characters likes or dislike?
Well do worry about copy anyone because when you make the system in the game you will revise your vision what will not be the same Persona 5.
Persona series are base on Maslow's hierarchy of needs anyway. I hope that help you want the questions you should answer to build a good foundation.

Carmifele

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well the "sign" is assigned to each character and can't be changed in any way. What can be changed is how much that character likes you,trough various events,which is going to give you some buffs/debuffs.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Carmifele, I get of what you said now. That sounds like a great and good luck with your project.

Carmifele

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...that doesn't really answer my question,but thank you nontheless!

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thing is,i don't really wanna use Arcana,cause that would be too blatant as an inspiration,and possibly stepping in plagiarism
sorry, you ask about the tarot cards, correct?
I think you can use the tarot cards because everyone use it not only Persona. Or you can use any free license trading card games. As long as you do not the system as the social link even that word is not protected by the copyright.

@Carmifele, please clarify the questions and explain in more detail. Some members do not play Persona. So they might be able to help you with the execution of that system if they have little understand of your intent system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Maybe create your own "sign" system, then? And make it a relevant part of your story?

Like "long ago a group of ancient warriors/mages/amigos/whatever existed because reasons, and they had this mark in their bodies/souls/nokia mobiles that represented them. There were X number of them because more reasons..." and so?

Carmifele

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is something i'm considering,mostly as a last resort...i think i-ll keep the thread open for a little longer to see if anything interesting comes up,and if not, then do just that,so thank you!

Edit>
sorry, you ask about the tarot cards, correct?
yes i am...and i think i see your point there... well there isn't much more to say. The arcana/sign in this case is just a small detail with no influence on the gameplay,but the social link system is pretty similar,considering i'm implementing time systems as well. You meet a person=>you befriend them by talking to each other when they're free=> they give you skills and bonuses

Last edited:

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.
If your friendship system is open, you don't even need that.
Just have people get along and unlock stuff, I don't see why you're implementing "arcana" (that's just a way to have Persona character stay in the Megami Tensei universe).

Carmifele

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.
If your friendship system is open, you don't even need that.
Just have people get along and unlock stuff, I don't see why you're implementing "arcana" (that's just a way to have Persona character stay in the Megami Tensei universe).
I'm doing it cause i like the concept.
Think of it like the name box in dialogue: it's just a little aesthetic detail. Could i make the whole game without? Yes. Would it change something gameplay wise? No. Do i think it's a nice addition to the game? Yes. For me this is enough reason to do it

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya everyone!
In my game there's going to be a friendhip system (not so subtly) inspired by the persona series

Things i've consideredusing by now are:
- The zodiac: considering how at least 3 of them are going to be fully story driven,12 is kinda too little
-chinese zodiac: see above
So, I am working on my game with a friendship system too and I think like this:

Persona uses the Arcana cards because there is a connection with the meaning of the arcana and the story of that character. If you study the meaning of each card and what can represents, you will see that this cards represents exactly the character or the meaning of the character. What I wanna say is.... The social system you are creating is really the focus of the story? What does characters have in commom? Because it's a little meaningless if you bring something like the zodiac and don't use it in a good way you know?
You can see that in animes like Juni Taisen, that they use the chinese zodiac in a good way, it's not the best but it's a good way to see what I am meaning.

In my game the reason that the friendship happens it's because this NPCs will help the main character in the story, here is a little trailer:

I hope this helps you ^^

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Zodiacs/Constellations and the tarots/Arcana are generally used because they are the most famous ways of fortune telling methods depending on the concept and is seen widespread use when it comes to giving a symbol to characters since almost everyone knows about them, and it's not limited to Persona games.

Anything else will require extensive research into extremely niche occultic knowledge that are unlikely to apply to different people's games, much less your audience - you will have better luck coming up with your original "sign" for situations like this.

And btw, you can't plagiarise a concept or a game mechanic - so it's perfectly fine to use the Major Arcana to symbolize your characters if you think that fits your game most.

Carmifele

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I wanna say is.... The social system you are creating is really the focus of the story?
No it isn't the Focus,but it's still pretty important

Persona uses the Arcana cards because there is a connection with the meaning of the arcana and the story of that character. If you study the meaning of each card and what can represents, you will see that this cards represents exactly the character or the meaning of the character.
Yeah. I know. that's Why i Like it enough to take it for my game. And that's also the se i want to make for it

And btw, you can't plagiarise a concept or a game mechanic - so it's perfectly fine to use the Major Arcana to symbolize your characters if you think that fits your game most.
Wait really? I...didn't know! thank you so much for telling me!

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

I'll close this at your request this time, but since ideas and discussion of this sort can also be useful to other people, it's generally better to leave discussion threads open in the "Maker General" area even after you're satisfied with the responses you've gotten. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woke up on an awful nightmare of being banned here because some mod didn't liked me in a super-heroes freeform round robin RP where I used throwing normal hammer as power and it was qualified being too OP. XD Nice to read you all guys. Will not wait next nightmares.
Staring at all the RPG Maker versions I have and realizing that my project has been a long time coming. But, I finally feel like I have the knowledge and experience to make it into something good.
We're almost done with the jam game! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewshetty123