[FROG] Health - Additional Custom HP, Hunger, Thirst and more!

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Frogboy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Frog Health v1.0.0
    by Frogboy

Introduction

RPG Maker MV gives you a lot of fine-grained control over your game, but it’s primarily geared towards the creation of the JRPGs. This means that certain aspects of some of the classic WRPGs that I grew up with, like Ultima and Dungeons & Dragons, aren’t supported by default. Well, I’d like to fix that!

Adventuring is dangerous business. Imagine your party climbing the tallest mountain in the world. The icy wind howls as you all attempt to stave off the cold. Nights are treacherous and not just because monsters are about. The temperature drops to an unmanageable degree. You must find shelter and build a fire in order to avoid freezing to death. You packed as much food and water as you could but reaching the top of the mountain is taking a lot longer than any of you expected. The monsters roaming this rarely traveled location are fierce and relentless. Exhaustion is setting in as sleep is hard to come by. Will you live to reach the peak? Will you have enough strength left to fight the White Dragon who lives at the top and guards an ancient artifact that you so desperately need to fulfill your quest?

This plugin requires FROG Core to be installed.

cold2.png
    Or, you know, there’s always this.

One element that used to be very common in classic WRPGs is extra parameters for health beyond the physical which is typically designated as HP or Life. These extra parameters are things that a real, living human being, or whatever race they may be, couldn’t survive or function without: Food, Water, Oxygen, Normal Body Temperature, their Mind/Psyche/Sanity and so on. Some games even divided a character’s overall HP into different body parts with varying side-effects attributed to low health in each. A busted leg would slow you down. A mangled arm would make it impossible to carry a shield. A serious head wound might knock you out for while.

That’s where FROG_Health comes into play. Instead of taking the easy route and just making some extra variables that you can manipulate, I've gone and done something a little crazy. I've added full-blown extra HP stats to RPG Maker MV that are completely customizable. Better yet, I've provided a way to set environmental conditions that change the way your custom Health HP operates. For instance, you can define an Oxygen HP stat for your actors which normally would rise every few steps and be full most of the time. Go underwater, though, and the plugin can set a Condition which will start depleting your Oxygen HP. You also have the ability to tie States to different levels of HP (normal or Health HP) so that if your character's Oxygen completely runs out, they die. Even better, you can create Skills and Items that apply to your new Health HP stats the same exact way they would apply to normal HP. Want to give an enemy a Choke attack or have your Wizard casting a suffocation spell? No problem. I've got you covered.

Features

• Add as many extra HP stats to your game: Food, Water, Rest, Oxygen, Psyche, Body Temperature or whatever else you can think of.
    • Automatically control how they function. You can set them up to increase, decrease or converge towards the middle at any rate you'd like based on steps taken.
    • Create and set Conditions that make your players fight harsh weather and environments that change how the auto-control works. Extreme heat or cold can kill you. A stale bog can inflict disease. Terror can wrack you mind.
    • Create Skills and Items that damage multiple forms of Health HP.
    • Customize your actor's battle status window and enemy visual Health gauges.
    • Customize the standard Status window to show each actor's Health HP.
    • Configure Health HP to deplete normal HP, MP or a different Health HP if it falls into the negative.
    snap03.png

How to Use

This plugin supports a ridiculous number of parameters and customizable options (even by my standards). You can find the full documentation by clicking the link for this plugin and viewing the Read Me file.

snap02.png

Changelog

Version 1.0.0 - Initial Release

Download (Demo Available)

My Plugins Page - https://frogboymv.github.io/
    FROG Core - https://github.com/FrogboyMV/FROG_Core
    Health - https://github.com/FrogboyMV/Health
    Race Core Plugin - https://github.com/FrogboyMV/RaceCore

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is awesome! :LZSooo: You did a wonderful job on this! :LZSexcite: Keep making amazing new plugins! :LZSgrin:

Sauteed_Onion and Frogboy like this.
  3. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! I will do my best.

Sauteed_Onion and Nightblade50 like this.
  4. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And your best is clearly amazing :LZSwink:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. Alexander Hawksmoor

Alexander Hawksmoor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now then, given what I was talking about yesterday, this plugin would be an absolute treasure!

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What were you talking about yesterday? And which parts of this plugin are you looking to utilize?

Just curious.

7. Alexander Hawksmoor

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was talking about a resident evil/silent hill/the thing survival horror game in which you find yourself in a remote area filled with people who could potentially be a parasitic creature that when it attacks an organism perfectly replicates it and repeats the process and so forth. The twist with this game is that solving the issue will be optional, and survival is a must. So you'll need your basic needs such as hunger, warmth, stamina, sanity, warmth which can all drain slowly or more quickly based on your overall health.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  8. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cool! It sounds like I'll have most, if not all, of the things you need when I'm done with this plugin. The only thing I see in your description that I hadn't planned for was binding conditions to current HP level. I'll look into that although that might not scale well to a 4 character party (which would need to be handled). I'll see what I can do, though.

9. Alexander Hawksmoor

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well it would be a single party game. I couldnt handle the stress of multiple party members.

10. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I get that. But from a plugin development perspective, I have to handle a situation where someone wanted to use this feature with more than one party member. I'd have to figure out how to handle that.

11. Drifter92

Drifter92 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frogboy You're actually making me want to make a different game than what Im making now with all these cool plugins you're working on :D
    Keep up the awesome work :)

12. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the support!

13. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this is intriguing Frogboy.
    I'll try not to tell anybody about your wind weakne.. I mean, that you are not weak to fire. Yes.
    Also, can we rename some of these parameters?

Frogboy likes this.
  14. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are just examples. You'll get to actually create whatever parameters you want for your game. It's all customizable. The names, whether the parameters increase, decrease or fall towards the midpoint, the health HP range, when States apply etc. You get to create whatever Conditions you want which will alter how the default Health parameters function. While I'm theming this towards hunger/thirst and so on, it's basically a system of automated state management. You configure the plugin how you want and the system will adjust the values and add and remove States based on those values.

15. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The style and colors aren't final. I'm sure I'll do a good amount of trial and error to get this to look better but this image should give you a good idea. I haven't posted for a week now so I wanted to give you all an update. Turning these Health stats into full-blown extra HP stats that behave in the same way as normal HP has been the most challenging part of this so far. The engine isn't really set up to handle multiple HP stats, especially when you need to have attacks that damage more than one which is why I tossed the kind of crappy way RPG Maker displays damage and made these gauges to show on the battle screen. I've got a lot of other stuff done too but still have a decent amount to work on. I hope to have a beta out before too long.

healthGauge.PNG

16. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, that's a lot of information like right there. Great!
    That third bar there, the one that says FOOD, it's my favorite one. Meow.

Frogboy likes this.
  17. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just wanted to let you all know that I haven't forgot about this plugin or anything. I took some time away to work on an update to my Talents plugin which I'll be releasing an update for soon. I've made a lot of progress and some nice changes to the Health plugin which I think you'll all like.

The biggest change is that these Health HP are now treated like full-blown extra HP stats. Instead of using plugin commands or script calls to adjust the values, they can now be used in the editor's formula box and utilize all of the "damage" section's parameters like elemental type, variance, critical and so on. It's now also fully integrated with the battle system which should bring an exciting new dynamic to RPG Maker battles.

With this plugin, RNG status ailments can be a thing of the past. Now a Sleep spell can damage your Rest HP and if it takes it all the way down to a certain level, can put you to sleep. Confusion or Fascination can attack your Psyche HP. A Suffocation spell can deplete your Oxygen and possibly kill you or a monster by depriving them of air.

This plugin will also have the ability to set environmental conditions that can change the weather and even create a simple day/night cycle. Poison swamps that have a chance to infect your characters with a disease that requires a skilled healer to cure? Got that too.

Lots of exciting stuff coming with this one. Stay tuned.

The only major hurtle left is figuring out how to implement enemies with these new attributes. I don't really like how I have it set up at the moment. I'm thinking of making a Monster Type plugin that allows you to define D&D type monster types like Abberation, Undead, Ooze, Outsider, Elemental etc to make it a lot easier to apply Traits, Health HP and whatever else I think of based on type as opposed to individually for each enemy. I think this would speed up dev time quite a bit.

Anyway, just wanted to give you all an update and let you know how things were coming along.

18. zerobeat032

zerobeat032 Directional NPC Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah I found it. I'm definitely going to try this plugin out as you mentioned it in my thread. I'm curious to see what it can do in general actually.

Frogboy likes this.
  19. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't get too invested in the current version which is an early alpha. You can check it out, though, if you want. I'm estimating that I'll have a full beta version ready in about a week. That will have pretty much all of the bells and whistles.

zerobeat032 likes this.
  20. Teddy97

Teddy97 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This plugin is absolutely amazing. Can´t wait to use the final version once it is out ;)

Frogboy likes this.