Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Race Core v2.0
by Frogboy

Introduction

RPG Maker MV doesn’t have official support for races like other games such as Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder RPG. Well, I’m here to fix that. Races have been a part of RPGs since the beginning and a good solid core is needed to not only create this feature but to extend its capabilities in the future. Version 2.0 adds some nice functionality to the plugin that allows it to be useful on its own while still working with the other plugins I made to extend functionality. A Class template can be assigned to each race to customize your actors with stat adjustments, Traits and bonus Skills.

How to Use

Just install the plugin and fill in the plugin parameters. If you also install Yanfly’s Core Engine and Status Menu Core, you’ll more easily be able to see the adjustments to stats, elemental resistances and weaknesses and all of the extra attributes each character has.

This plugin is designed to be the core of various extension plugins that enable extra functionality for your game's races. Those extensions will ask for a Race ID to identify the race you are adding parameters for. The Race ID is the index of the entry in this plugin associated with the race in question. You can find it here.

raceId.png

Parameters

This is a plugin for races so, of course, you’ll need a parameter to define them for your game. At the moment, the name is really all you need to define. I have plans to incorporate the rest of the information in one or more other plugins but I can’t say for sure when those will be completed.

Races
  • Name - The name of a race.
  • Class Id - Class template this race inherits. These work a lot like assigning a second Class to an Actor. They gain all of the Traits assigned and gain Skills at the indicated level. Parameters like Attack, Defense etc can also add to the Actor but you have to define a baseline number to represent a zero adjustment. This was done so that you can define penalties as well as bonuses to your racial stats.
  • General - General description about this race. This will be used as sort of an intro blurb.
  • Physical Description - Physical description about this race. This should describe the physical characteristics of a typical member of this race.
  • Society - Information about how this race typically interacts with other races.
  • Alignment and Religion - Moral and religious information of the typical member of this race. This describes which gods or religions this race typically follows and what they general alignment usually is. Individual members of this race obviously can vary from the norm.
  • Adventurers - Information about how and why members of this race become adventurers.

Actor Config
  • Description - Description so you know what this entry is. Recommended but not required.
  • Actor Id - Actor that these properties apply to.
  • Initial Race - Name of the race that this actor starts as.

Param Baseline - Baseline value that equals zero change to stats. Some races are stronger than others. Some are weaker. Some are faster. The default value is set to 100. What this means is that any param value that equals 100 will make no racial adjustment for that stat. A value of 120 defined from levels 1-99 would always grant a static +20 bonus to the corresponding stat. A value of 80 defined from levels 1-99 would always grant a static -20 penalty to the corresponding stat. You can also define a curve that slopes up or down for a gradually increasing bonus or penalty as the Actor advances in level. The plugin code is just subtracting the number you provide here from the race’s Class template’s defined params to generate a bonus or penalty.

Adjust Parameters - This is just a quick on/off switch for racial parameter adjustments. Working with RPG Maker’s Class parameter curves can be annoying and cumbersome. Often times, it’s just much easier to grant races Traits that work in percentages. Assigning a Half-Giant a racial Trait to Attack of 125% and a racial Trait to Speed of 75% is just plain easier and might be exactly what you want. I wanted to give you an easy way to just shut this off if you aren’t using it so that you don’t have to mess with the params if you’re not using this feature.

Save Races Object - Setting this to true allows you to modify the $dataRaces object, which contains all of the information within the plugin parameters, when the player saves the game. By default, this object is built from the plugin parameters when a new game is started or a saved game is loaded. This is usually what you’ll want. If, for some reason, you need need to alter this data in-game and have those changes persist until the end of the game, you’ll need to turn this option on.

Script and Plugin Commands

These commands will allow you to assign races to actors and to retrieve information about the actor’s race.

Script Commands to get and set a race:
  • FROG.Races.getRace(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.getId(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.getName(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.getGeneral(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.getSociety(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.getReligion(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.getAdventurers(actorId);
  • FROG.Races.setRace(actorId, raceId);

Plugin Commands to get and set a race (Don't include the brackets)

The Type is piece of information that you want to retrieve. This can be ID, NAME, GENERAL, SOCIETY, RELIGION or ADVENTURERS
  • GETRACE [type] [actorId] [variableId]
  • SETRACE [actorId] [race]
Examples

Get the Race ID of Actor 1 and store it in variable 5
  • GETRACE ID 1 5

Get the Race name of Actor 4 and store it in variable 12
  • GETRACE NAME 4 12

Store the Actor’s ID in variable 6 and then store the race name in variable 7. All parameters can utilize the v[x] variable reference notation.
  • GETRACE NAME v[6] 7

Terms of Use

This plugin can be used in commercial or non-commercial projects. You also have my permission to write and share extension plugins that add to the functionality of this plugin.

Credit Frogboy in your work.

Changelog

Version 1.0.0 - Initial release
Version 2.0.0 - Added Class templates and allow Actors to start with a race.

Download
My Plugins Page - https://frogboymv.github.io/
Race Core Plugin - https://github.com/FrogboyMV/RaceCore
Level-based Traits for Races - https://github.com/FrogboyMV/LevelBasedTraits
Talent Core - https://github.com/FrogboyMV/TalentCore

Last edited:

BlueVikingr

The Dragonbirb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will... Will there ever be functionality added, through either this plugin or the Level-Based Traits for Races plugin, to give some races unique battle skills? Like... If you have a Centaur race, to give them all a Trample skill regardless of their class, or to give Medusae a petrifying stare?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BlueVikingr
You could do this with the Level-based Talents for Races plugin. There's the Add Skill option which could give your centaur race Trample or your gorgon Stone Gaze. Or did you have something else in mind?

BlueVikingr

The Dragonbirb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, no, thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking of. I just missed it somehow when I was looking at the plugins. Oops. *rubs back of own head sheepishly* That was embarrassing. Thanks!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, no problem. There's a lot of Trait possibilities there so it's easy to miss.

kwanzaabot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey @Frogboy , whenever I try to run my project after installing this plugin, I get the error "Unexpected token u in JSON at position 1".
It seems to be looking for a json file not mentioned in the readme, that doesn't exist in the github.

BlueVikingr

The Dragonbirb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got that message at one point too, kwanzaabot. In my case, it turned out to be a conflict with another plugin. If you have Mjishi's match card lottery plugin in your project, try turning that off and see if it fixes the problem; that's what it was for me. If you don't have that plugin... Eh, just try any non-Frogboy, non-Yanfly plugins one by one to see.

Unfortunately, if it's not a plugin conflict, I don't have any other ideas. Sorry.

kwanzaabot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I got that message at one point too, kwanzaabot. In my case, it turned out to be a conflict with another plugin. If you have Mjishi's match card lottery plugin in your project, try turning that off and see if it fixes the problem; that's what it was for me. If you don't have that plugin... Eh, just try any non-Frogboy, non-Yanfly plugins one by one to see.

Unfortunately, if it's not a plugin conflict, I don't have any other ideas. Sorry.
Oh, lame.

mazzy-elf

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings Frogboy (I really like that username btw) I'm just wondering if its possible to add a feature that means you can define an actors race by using their note tags? Thank you n_n

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kwanzaabot @BlueVikingr
I'll take a look at the plugin and see if I made any dumb mistakes that could cause compatibility issues.

@mazzy-elf
I didn't really consider this because there's really not a lot of reasons to use this plugin when you characters have specific races already assigned. You can just assign whatever "racial" Traits and abilities you want directly to the Actor. My ultimate plan is to create a FF1 style character picker that allows you to choose the class, race and maybe gender for each of your party members. Right now, you have to assign run a plugin or script command to assign a race to an actor but I might be able to slip something like this in if you have a good use case for statically assigned races.

mazzy-elf

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted it for the reason that I have a breeding/cloning system and it would just be easier for me if the race was assigned when the actor was created, there might be another way to do it though n_n

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mazzy-elf
Well, I've been looking to get back to working on my plugins and this should be a good way to dip my toes back in the water. I should be able to add this in pretty quickly.

mazzy-elf

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome sauce thank you very much, you seem to have a lot of interesting looking plugins :3

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mazzy-elf
No problem. Thanks!

@seaotter
Not yet as this plugin doesn't really do much on it's own. It's more utilized by my other plugins to add in extras based on the Race you assign a character. I am updating this plugin right now, though, and am adding a couple new features that will make it stand on it's own a little more. Because of that, it'll probably have a small demo to accompany it.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*** Update ***

I just release Version 2.0.0 of my Race Core plugin.

Assign default races to actors so that you don't have to do it manually.

Assign a class template to a race. This template grants additional Traits, Skills and stat adjustments. While most of this was possible with the Level-based Traits plugin, it's just plain easier to configure and get going this way. You can just create a new class to represent your race and enter in Traits and Skills right in the editor. The Traits aren't level-based, though. You'll still need my other plugin for this functionality. The Skills are level-based as normal for classes. Static Param adjustments are something new. Traits only allow you to adjust Params by a percentage. By assigning a baseline number to represent a zero adjustment (default set to 100), you can grant static bonuses and penalties such as +20 or -10. See documentation for more details.

A demo file is now available as well.

This will hopefully fix the compatibility issues that you may have encountered as well. Let me know if you encounter any further issues with this plugin and happy game-making everyone!

ClassTemplate.PNG

@kwanzaabot @BlueVikingr @mazzy-elf @seaotter

mazzy-elf

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much for your hard work I can't wait to look into this in the morning so many possibilities!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mazzy-elf
No problem!

@seaotter
The demo files are in the /demo folder of the repository. It's pretty basic but should give you a good idea of how this plugin works.

seaotter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see your another plugin ( Trigger Distance )
but this plugin just can ( player and event trigger )
can you let it to do event and event trigger ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Managed to find a way to hang a bed cover over my window. So no more being toasted alive in the afternoon!:kaoswt2:
So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelevra069