[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

CalebW

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CalebW
That's kind of a tall order. It's time-consuming enough making demos and documenting all of the features I bake into my plugins. Making Yanfly-like videos to also go along with them would likely have me spending far more time not making plugins than I'd be spending making them.
Fair enough, if I learn the system well enough so I have your permission to post a demo video here?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CalebW
Yeah, go for it. My plugins don't get third-party tutorials like some of Yanfly's. They're pretty complex, though, so I welcome it. They could definitely use it. I just don't have the resources.

If you have any questions or need clarification on anything regarding the plugin, let me know. I can help you make sure you have a solid understanding of whatever you'd be making a video of.

CalebW

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CalebW
Yeah, go for it. My plugins don't get third-party tutorials like some of Yanfly's. They're pretty complex, though, so I welcome it. They could definitely use it. I just don't have the resources.

If you have any questions or need clarification on anything regarding the plugin, let me know. I can help you make sure you have a solid understanding of whatever you'd be making a video of.
Thank you, I suppose my only question at the moment is how I can incorporate an animation after the check or during.

So for instance I thought about running a conditional branch such as If: Script: var x = Frog.Talents.talentCheck({ abbr:'perc', target: 14, view: 'show'});
Show animation Player, (example animation)

I tried that and the script ran fine for exuting the talent check and the draw feature... but no animation after.

Edit* I can show an animation prior to the script running though...lol I suppose what would be fun is being able to have a random number thrown and then have a small list of animations to choose from based on what number is passed. So

If rnd = 3 show animation dice roll 3

if rnd = 17 show animation dice roll 17

Edit* 2 I'm also stumped on if a check is made how I can determine a switch or variable to change based on pass / fail. That way if a check is made I can switch it over to new event pages.

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CalebW
Here's the lock pick event in the demo project with the plugin command changed to a script call. I added in an animation after success as well and it seems to work correctly. Now, I'm not sure exactly what would happen if you tried to do everything in a single script call which might be what you're trying to do. Because the Talent Check window needs to open and run the animated gauges before showing pass/fail, this may not be possible if it's not working for you. You might need to run the talent check in its own script call and then run the following code in a different script box.

snap.PNG

You did help me catch a weird issue, though. When I copied the script command from my Github documentation, the single-quotes copied over as an unrecognized character and crashed the game when I tried to run it. When I deleted and replaced them, it started working for me. I updated the docs with double-quotes which seem to copy over correctly.

adamspecial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Frogboy! Huge fan of your plugins. I'm doing something similar to an Elder Scrolls game for my project. That is, the more you use a skill, the more it increases. It would be perfect if there was a way to use your plugin so that by using skills, items, or with events (especially talent-relevant events), I could add "xps" to a talent, and when enough of this xps are gained, the talent increases by one point. Maybe even with a current/needed value in the menu. Do you think it would be feasible? If so, any idea on where to start? I'm studying a bunch of other plugins, but I don't really know how to make them interact with yours.

My idea (which is clearly overcomplicated) was to have two sets of paired talents: one set for the actual talent, and one set to match each actual talent to represent its xps. When you gain xps, the xps talent goes up, and the actual talent is calculated by a simple formula (something like, x = y * (y +1)/200

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@adamspecial
I like this idea. I think somebody might have asked for this one before. Adding an XP variable attached to each Talent should be trivial. I did this with my Magic plugin. Determining how the XP is utilized might be left to the game's dev. I'll look into possibly setting up a formula field that auto-distributes points according to XP amount. That's a little trickier since some Talents are just naturally used more than others.

Last edited:

adamspecial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@adamspecial
I like this idea. I think somebody might have asked for this one before. Adding an XP variable attached to each Talent should be trivial. I did this with my Magic plugin. Determining how the XP is utilized might be left to the game's dev. I'll look into possibly setting up a formula field that auto-distributes points according to XP amount. That's a little trickier since some Talents are just naturally used more than others.
@Frogboy
Wonderful! I'll take a closer look to your magic plugin then. I guess talent xps/levels will need fine tuning and balancing from the dev's part. More over, it would be ideal to have xps gained being formulas more complex than just 1 use = 1 xp. For example, setting xps gained for an attack related talent to be relative to the damage dealt. This seems awfully complicated though!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@adamspecial
I think that there's probably too many possibilities that would go into what you're suggesting there. I'd likely get a neverending string of requests asking me to add other options to make it work in different ways. That's just something that a dev is just going to have to figure out how to hack in themselves if they need it. 1XP per use will have to suffice. This plugin, like a few of my others, is already massively complex to begin with and has a ridiculously large amount of possibilities for customization compared to most other ones. If I make it too complex, no one besides myself would probably ever use it. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Always willing to hear them even if they all don't make it in.

Holyhalo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy
Is it possible to have a Talent Synergy Requirement require either one of two Talents at a certain level? Or a combination of AND, OR (and NOT?) to unlock a Talent?
e.g. Talent Balance requires (speed rank 3 and) either acrobatics at rank 5 OR parkour at rank 3 to unlock.
e.g.2. Magic rank 5 unlocks both the fire and ice talents but putting one or more ranks into fire locks the ice talent again.

edit: Is it possible to have ranks in talent A lower the ranks in talent B?
e.g. Having 5 ranks in the Strength talent lowers your speed talent by 1.

Last edited:

Banjo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just discovered this plugin and absolutely *loving* it. I'll echo the sentiments that it allows you to make a very different "PC" style RPG instead of the usual console-style ones the makers do by default. I also thought of Quest for Glory, too!

One quick question: I went through your other plugins and couldn't find anything, but do you make a crafting plugin that works well with this (that is, that can use a Trait to determine crafting recipes and/or crafting success rate)? If not, is there another crafting plugin by someone else that you'd recommend as "most compatible"?

EDIT: I am trying to combine this with YR_Itemcrafting but I need a way to have it use one of your Talents for levels instead of the included "Disciplines". I figure the easiest way is just to use both "under the hood" but have the appropriate Disciplines that plugin uses just automatically get set to match the value of the Talent from your plugin I want.

What is the plugin command (or javascript) to read a party member's specific Talent score, and/or set it absolutely rather than via the player GUI? Do you think my approach is the best way to do this?

Last edited:

raeson

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi! Currently using this plugin and I absolutely love it.

I do have a question, however. Is it possible to have talents that have different max ranks?
For example, Sword Mastery only has ten ranks, while something like Fire Mastery has twenty?

Unless of course I'm blind and I didn't see a configuration for it.

Holyhalo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is the plugin command (or javascript) to read a party member's specific Talent score, and/or set it absolutely rather than via the player GUI? Do you think my approach is the best way to do this?
@Banjo In the Readme, around 3/4 down, you'll find a list of plugin commands and Javascript for this. You're looking for:
Get the current Talent Ranks for an actor. [abbr] is the Talent Abbreviation (and has to be within "", also Case Sensitive).
TALENT GETRANKS [actorId] [abbr] [variableId]
FROG.Talents.getTalentRanks(actorId, abbr);

and
Set the Talent Ranks for an actor’s talent.
TALENT SETRANKS [actorId] [abbr] [ranks]
FROG.Talents.setTalentRanks(actorId, abbr, ranks);

I do have a question, however. Is it possible to have talents that have different max ranks?
For example, Sword Mastery only has ten ranks, while something like Fire Mastery has twenty?

Unless of course I'm blind and I didn't see a configuration for it.
@raeson As far as I know, the Ranks are a global value. You can choose between two settings (depending on character levels (LEVEL) or on a maximum number (STRICT)) but these values are for all your talents. You can set these in the plugin Parameters under Max Type and Max Ranks.

@Frogboy Now that RaceCore has a way of increasing parameters by an absolute value, rather than a percentage, will you be adding this to the TalentCore as well?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Holyhalo
There isn't a way to do complex requirements like in D&D where you have a mix of AND, OR and NOT logic. The code part wouldn't be difficult, computers are good at this, but it would definitely add complexity to the plugin configuration/setup. I chose the safer route that would lead to less crashes and frustration for most devs. If I think of a good way to pull this off, I'll most likely add it.

@Banjo
I do not have a Crafting plugin. There are quite a few out there already so I focused my efforts where there were gaps to fill. I don't know of any to recommend but it sounds like you found one you like. It's still on my list of ideas mostly because I could combine it with crafting Talents for a more D&D feel (rolling checks for progress, possibly ruining your item, etc). I've got several plugins that are higher on my to do list, though.

@Holyhalo
Thanks for answering some questions for me. As for your question, technically no but also kinda yes. I'm assuming that you're referring to the Talent Core + Talent-based Traits. My next plugin is going to Frog Feats. I used the Talent Traits extension as a stop-gap because it was super easy to just clone my Traits plugin and base it off of Talent rank instead of character level. The combo effect was too cool to pass up. Feats was always the way I wanted to go with this (for obvious reasons) but I knew it was going to be a challenge. It took me a long time to figure out how I was going to design it so that it would really feel like D&D Feats. The puzzle finally pieced together in my mind. It should cover the same ground as the Talent Traits but be more encompassing. It'll cover static bonuses like +1 Attack, Talent bonuses (+2 climb, +2 Jump), as well as everything Traits are capable of doing and more.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@zx2kk I have deleted your post as this is an English language site and only English can be used in a public post or Update. Please use something like Google Translate if you are not able to write in English yourself.

zx2kk

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy
Is there a way to change the actor's face when the check fails or succeeds? For example, happy and sad?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@zx2kk
No, there isn't. But I really like the idea. I'll see if I can add that next time I'm working on this plugin.

ArkhamVI

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I have a question. Is it possible to use the talents created in this plugin to be used for Yanfly's Class Base Parameters?

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, I have a question. Is it possible to use the talents created in this plugin to be used for Yanfly's Class Base Parameters?
As far as I'm aware, they can be referenced like any actor parameter. It works in notetags for Yanfly's various state and skill plugins, as well as in the damage formulas.

I'd suggest trying it for yourself to make sure, though.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ArkhamVI
I don't really know but as @malonkey1 said, as long as Add to Formulas is turned on, you can reference them just like any other stat. It's worth trying out to see of it works.

XPComrade

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Out of curiosity could these work in RPG Maker XP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol
There's a new born faction in my country called "Sunda Empire" claiming they have right to rule over the earth and sun... I don't know what to feel...
Quon is watching you
Quon blessed your good efforts
I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porkipon