[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

nekatu

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Loving the power and simplicity of the plugin... Amazing work, @Frogboy!

I'm currently working on a Fate Core implementation in RMMV and very much seeing this as the heart of my skills systems.

Just wondering if there's scope within my meagre javascript knowledge to adapt this to a skills pyramid; essentially capping the max you can apply to any one skill based on the values of the others.

So essentially every skill would be 0 and you can level up according to a scale, starting with 20 points that can apply in the order of-
1x 4 point skill
2x 3 point skill
3x 2 point skill
4x 1 point skill

You'd only be able to level up a skill if there a supporting level beneath it, so your next upgrade would be either a 5th 1 point skill, a 4th 2 point skill, a third 3 point skill, or a 2nd 5 point skill, provided you had adequate points.

Has anyone else looked at doing something along these lines?

YankBS

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello Frog, I'm trying to add Icons with \i[x] before talent names, but it isn't working. Can you give me a hand?

LilKnockerOut

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Quick question, what is the difference between adding points and getting points?

AcoBaco

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Exactly what I was looking for, without even knowing xD Yesterday I talked about building a game with this features as core features... And today I found out about this plugin by accident! :) Good work. I will use that, because since I'm playing Pathfinder just battling and looting is not enough anymore xD

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Love it!

I only have 5 talents, is there a way to create more space between each row in the talent menu?

katyga

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aren’t they good at anything besides killing monsters?

Almightypebble

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do I disable the plugin automatically putting the command in the main menu?
I'm using a different plugin that adds icons to commands, but it doesn't work for this one since it's listed twice.

Argentdragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much for this plugin! It's exactly what I was looking for and is super versatile which makes this awesome! Thanks so much!

Almightypebble

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can see in the plugin there is a command for canceling the talent point changes, but I don't see it in the actual menu with the talent list? Is there a way to add it as a command instead of having only finish when I'm done with the points?

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can see in the plugin there is a command for canceling the talent point changes, but I don't see it in the actual menu with the talent list? Is there a way to add it as a command instead of having only finish when I'm done with the points?
I think that command might actually be triggered by the "cancel" button (as in, the one bound in the controls).

Almightypebble

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think that command might actually be triggered by the "cancel" button (as in, the one bound in the controls).
Yes, I know but I would like to have it as a command next to finish as I'm trying to make my game mobile friendly. Guess it's not a part of the plugin. If not that I wish there was at least a Revert option like in every other stat allocation plugin.

Last edited:

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, quick question. Is there any way to give a static stat boost? Something like +20 MP, or +5 MAT?

berock

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question. If I have a talent called strength and I wanted my attack to increase 1 when my talent arrive the levels 12, 14,16,18... It's possible to do that?

Jaysterbaby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love to try the demo sometime!

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Frogboy If you're still around, I must say 1) This is amazing.. hell ALL of your plugins are amazing!
2) Would there be any chance to make this into a DnD5e version? Something like:

Class config: [available skills], points to assign would = being proficient in them
Roll d20 + relative modifier and += prof bonus if proficient
---

Basically I converted a D&D Next plugin from VX Ace and while I was working on races, classes, and skills I noticed your plugins and thought they would make the perfect addition! I already have most functions at the ready to roll a die + modifier, attack bonuses are based on HIT, Armor Class based on EVA, etc.

I'll be honest when I say you're like... on another level, nay another plane of existence lol but I wouldn't mind sharing what I got so far if you have the time and energy. Battle system is still a WIP though (think D&D Tactics from the PSP).

Anyways, superb work, lemme know what you think though :)

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Frogboy If you're still around, I must say 1) This is amazing.. hell ALL of your plugins are amazing!
2) Would there be any chance to make this into a DnD5e version? Something like:

Class config: [available skills], points to assign would = being proficient in them
Roll d20 + relative modifier and += prof bonus if proficient
---

Basically I converted a D&D Next plugin from VX Ace and while I was working on races, classes, and skills I noticed your plugins and thought they would make the perfect addition! I already have most functions at the ready to roll a die + modifier, attack bonuses are based on HIT, Armor Class based on EVA, etc.

I'll be honest when I say you're like... on another level, nay another plane of existence lol but I wouldn't mind sharing what I got so far if you have the time and energy. Battle system is still a WIP though (think D&D Tactics from the PSP).

Anyways, superb work, lemme know what you think though :)
Well, the proficient skills of classes aren't mutable in the plugin as it stands, it would seem. But you could always have the individual character's proficiencies represented by Skills and passive States, then using Yanfly's Passive States plugins to swap out the states based on the character's level.

So for example, you could have a Rogue with proficiency in Deception (dec), represented as a skill "Proficiency: Deception" with <Passive State: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5> where 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are the ids of a Deception Proficiency state.

Then in the notes of the 1st state, include:
Code:
<TalentBonus: +2 dec>
and in the notes of the rest, include:
Code:
<Custom Passive Condition>
  if (user.level >= {whatever level}) {
    condition = true;
  } else {
    condition = false;
  }
</Custom Passive Condition>
<TalentBonus: +2 dec>
Replacing {whatever level} with the appropriate level for that stage of the proficiency bonus.

then finally, use whatever system you prefer for skill selection (you could probably use a Skill Shop plugin or even just a common event) to let your player actually choose the skills they want their character to be proficient in.

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not exactly what I was going for. So basically as of my current build, I made a function to get the necessary data at any given time:
JavaScript:
Game_BattlerBase.prototype.getSkillDataByID = function(id) {
    switch (id) {//      id, Name, Mod, ClassIDs with these starting skills
        case 1: return  [id,'Acrobatics','dex',[2,5,6,9]];
        case 2: return  [id,'Animal Handling','wis',[1,2,4,5,8]];
        case 3: return  [id,'Arcana','int',[2,4,10,11,12]];
        case 4: return  [id,'Athletics','str',[1,2,5,6,7,8,9]];
        case 5: return  [id,'Deception','cha',[2,9,10,11]];
        case 6: return  [id,'History','int',[2,3,5,6,11,12]];
        case 7: return  [id,'Insight','wis',[2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12]];
        case 8: return  [id,'Intimidation','cha',[1,2,5,7,9,10,11]];
        case 9: return  [id,'Investigation','int',[2,8,9,11,12]];
        case 10: return [id,'Medicine','wis',[2,3,4,7,12]];
        case 11: return [id,'Nature','int',[1,2,4,8,11]];
        case 12: return [id,'Perception','wis',[1,2,4,5,8,9]];
        case 13: return [id,'Performance','cha',[2,9]];
        case 14: return [id,'Persuasion','cha',[2,3,7,9,10]];
        case 15: return [id,'Religion','int',[2,3,4,6,7,10,11,12]];
        case 16: return [id,'Sleight of Hand','dex',[2,9]];
        case 17: return [id,'Stealth','dex',[2,6,8,9]];
        case 18: return [id,'Survival','wis',[1,2,4,5,8]];
        default: return null; // invalid
    }
};
NOTE: There is also another function that gets the skill data by name as well.

-> And assigns an array to the actor: "this._profSkills = []"
-> On character creation, based on which class they choose they can select 2 (3 if bard, 4 if rogue) skills from the list. These skill IDs are then pushed into profSkills[].
-> When a skill check is made = rolls a d20 (I have another function for that already) + relative mod (listed in the skill data above) + Prof if the actor has that data in their profSkills array.

Of course I would love to make the little success/failure window... but I'm still a bit of a novice and haven't messed with windows yet. And I still have a lot more work to do on it, taking into account certain status effects (Exhaustion = disadvantage on ability checks, etc).

Which is why I got excited when I saw Frogboy's plugins and how they were mostly tailored to cRPGs like D&D and PF :)

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not exactly what I was going for. So basically as of my current build, I made a function to get the necessary data at any given time:
JavaScript:
Game_BattlerBase.prototype.getSkillDataByID = function(id) {
    switch (id) {//      id, Name, Mod, ClassIDs with these starting skills
        case 1: return  [id,'Acrobatics','dex',[2,5,6,9]];
        case 2: return  [id,'Animal Handling','wis',[1,2,4,5,8]];
        case 3: return  [id,'Arcana','int',[2,4,10,11,12]];
        case 4: return  [id,'Athletics','str',[1,2,5,6,7,8,9]];
        case 5: return  [id,'Deception','cha',[2,9,10,11]];
        case 6: return  [id,'History','int',[2,3,5,6,11,12]];
        case 7: return  [id,'Insight','wis',[2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12]];
        case 8: return  [id,'Intimidation','cha',[1,2,5,7,9,10,11]];
        case 9: return  [id,'Investigation','int',[2,8,9,11,12]];
        case 10: return [id,'Medicine','wis',[2,3,4,7,12]];
        case 11: return [id,'Nature','int',[1,2,4,8,11]];
        case 12: return [id,'Perception','wis',[1,2,4,5,8,9]];
        case 13: return [id,'Performance','cha',[2,9]];
        case 14: return [id,'Persuasion','cha',[2,3,7,9,10]];
        case 15: return [id,'Religion','int',[2,3,4,6,7,10,11,12]];
        case 16: return [id,'Sleight of Hand','dex',[2,9]];
        case 17: return [id,'Stealth','dex',[2,6,8,9]];
        case 18: return [id,'Survival','wis',[1,2,4,5,8]];
        default: return null; // invalid
    }
};
NOTE: There is also another function that gets the skill data by name as well.

-> And assigns an array to the actor: "this._profSkills = []"
-> On character creation, based on which class they choose they can select 2 (3 if bard, 4 if rogue) skills from the list. These skill IDs are then pushed into profSkills[].
-> When a skill check is made = rolls a d20 (I have another function for that already) + relative mod (listed in the skill data above) + Prof if the actor has that data in their profSkills array.

Of course I would love to make the little success/failure window... but I'm still a bit of a novice and haven't messed with windows yet. And I still have a lot more work to do on it, taking into account certain status effects (Exhaustion = disadvantage on ability checks, etc).

Which is why I got excited when I saw Frogboy's plugins and how they were mostly tailored to cRPGs like D&D and PF :)
Sounds like what you have could probably be adapted to work with this plugin without too much extra work if you wanted. You can already use script calls to make rolls, and you can pass just about any values you deem appropriate that way.

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Maybe. I don't know, I've looked at FROG's scripts and they make my head spin lol. I think I understand them, but they seem very tightly woven with each other. Will take some experimentation to see if I can get them to work with my idea.

I might end up using his core script + those advanced plugin parameter setup he got and re-configure my plugin to use that for the skills even. Very convenient for the user end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ive got a long lost half uncle. Thats real cool.
I forget what is bumping rule in this forum. Is anyone know? Thank you.
BCj
Ew, why does my blogpost on the rpgmaker.net site look like a garbled mess? Are html codes disabled or something?
I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Babiboo