[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

Richard John S

Rpg Maker Music Pack Contributor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this is an excellent plugin, but I can't seem to make it work properly. I tried a few of the plugin commands listed in the documentation, and they don't do anything. Setting ranks, getting rank data, etc.

I put in TALENT GETSCORE [3] [swords] [1] in the plugin command, but it didn't store the data to the variable. I also only have Frog Core and Talent Core enabled in the plugins.

Icenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had the same problem try without []
Code:
TALENT GETSCORE 3 swords 1

EmeraldDemnia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just stumbled upon this plugin and figured it was exactly what I needed without even knowing it. I ran a tabletop RPG which I created myself in the past on an online forum. I have been figuring for a few years what to do with that huge rulebook I created and all the great stories we played there with all our members. Then my eyes locked on this marvelous plugin. This puzzle just laid itself.
Outstanding, brilliant, genius.... no there are no words for this in human language :kaoluv:

It seems @Frogboy hasn't been responding to this for a while. But maybe anyone else could help.
I've been reading through the plugin helpfile and this thread for a few hours now but it seems nobody else asked this question.

If I were to have players pay more then 1 point to raise a rank, how would I do that?
Let's stay in de dnd vibe here, say I was playing 2nd edition and I would want a rogue to be able to learn the appraisal skill (which costs 2 points there). How would I go about that?

Also, I've seen some people asking how to hide talents until they are learned/bought. It may be a bit late by now for this answer, but how about this:

Create all such talents twice, hidden. Let's name them Lockpick and Lockpickshadow for now. In the Lockpick talent go to 'Synergy requirement' and set it to require 1 point in Lockpickshadow.
Now when the talent is learned in any way raise the Lockpickshadow talent by one and Lockpick should henceforth be visible to that actor, while lockpickshadow remains to be hidden to the player.

To have the lockpick talent have default settings, but no working ranking before learning it (meaning it has class and maybe race ranks while being invissible). Let the game check lockpickshadow to be 1 before allowing a lockpick check.

Last edited:

kwanzaabot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I cannot for the life of me get these skill checks to work.
I have:

TALENT CHECK aid:v[6] abbr:perc target:10 <--- this is my plugin command, variable 6 is the party leader, perc is my "perception" talent

If Last Check Variable >= 10
(success dialogue goes here)

Else
(failure dialogue goes here)

....but no matter how I arrange the conditions, the result seems totally unrelated to the condition. I get failure dialogue even when I get a 16 or 18, and if I try to add MORE conditions within that (eg a Natural 20, a critical failure at 0 etc), it doesn't trigger at all.

kwanzaabot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I cannot for the life of me get these skill checks to work.
I have:

TALENT CHECK aid:v[6] abbr:perc target:10 <--- this is my plugin command, variable 6 is the party leader, perc is my "perception" talent

If Last Check Variable >= 10
(success dialogue goes here)

Else
(failure dialogue goes here)

....but no matter how I arrange the conditions, the result seems totally unrelated to the condition. I get failure dialogue even when I get a 16 or 18, and if I try to add MORE conditions within that (eg a Natural 20, a critical failure at 0 etc), it doesn't trigger at all.
Bumping this

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Any chance to get this to MZ?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any chance to get this to MZ?
Yes, although, it's not planned to be a single standalone plugin. I may have to make an exception for this one, though, due to its popularity and the fact that my next endeavor may not be of interest to everyone.

levolden

Hobbyist fella.
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I absolutely love this, and am using it on my project. But given some technical issues I had to move from MV to MZ, which means trouble for many of my plugins. When I attempt to open the "Talent" menu from the main menu (in game) I get an error named "Argument must be a Rectangle". Do you happen to either know how this can be solved or are you working on an MZ conversion of this plugin by chance? I really love what you've done here, and would absolutely want to keep it around!

Either way, thanks for the awesome stuff.

EDIT:
I just now spotted your comment (which I loved), so that is great news.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@levolden
Thanks!

Yeah, MZ changed the way Windows within Scenes are constructed. Instead of passing individual dimensions like x, y, height and width, it now grabs a Rectangle object and passes that as it's only parameter. If you look at how MZ is doing it in the base code, you should be able to mimic that if you want to try to get it functional. I can't say exactly if and when I'll have a standalone version of this ready. The project I'm working on now will incorporate this plugin but is on a much larger scale and also probably won't be ready for a while.

levolden

Hobbyist fella.
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@levolden
Thanks!

Yeah, MZ changed the way Windows within Scenes are constructed. Instead of passing individual dimensions like x, y, height and width, it now grabs a Rectangle object and passes that as it's only parameter. If you look at how MZ is doing it in the base code, you should be able to mimic that if you want to try to get it functional. I can't say exactly if and when I'll have a standalone version of this ready. The project I'm working on now will incorporate this plugin but is on a much larger scale and also probably won't be ready for a while.
Thank you for getting back to me!
Solving this on my own sounds a bit outside my current level of competency. Which means I will feel really cool if I can do it, so that's a positive. Either way, best of luck on your current project!

Anthony Xue

Ancient Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Frogboy any problems with me asking for an MZ transfer in plugin requests? Same with the Races plugin. I have all the tools together for my Might & Magic / Wizardry game, except for these which have no alternatives ;-)

Anthony Xue

Ancient Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Frogboy Going to. By the way, I'm not sure whether you were aware of this:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuraudo123