[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You may not have the Default Talent Check variable set or it's set to the wrong variable. You didn't specify a var: parameter so it's falling back to the default.

Last edited:

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frogboy
This set of plugins is pretty damn impressive. I am looking over the code and don't see any obvious issues regarding potential compatibility with other plugins. But after scanning the topic I figured I'd ask, just in case.

Are these Talent Core Plugins (Inc. Traits, Race, Etc...) written to be compatible with Yanfly's plugin library? Are there any known issues therein?

Thanks for your time!

Skurge

" (GASP) What's going on!? "
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Got the skill check working, but there is one little detail I think MV has forgotten and that's to have text display variables assigned to items.
Before the choice to roll a skill chance I want to display how much items are in the party for that skill, for example lockpicks are required for the lock skill but I want the amount of items displayed.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roguedeus
I strive for compatibility. Yanfly has over 150 plugins and a dev may have anywhere between zero and all of plugins installed so there no good way of knowing if any issues exist unless someone happens upon them. I design my plugins with the base engine first in my mind but I typically make sure that everything seems to work with Yanfly's main plugins.

@Skurge
I'm not entirely sure that I understand your request. Are you asking if I can add the actor's Talent Score to the Talent Check window? If so, can you create a mock up of what you envision? If not, can you explain in better detail?

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'll try to explain a little better.
Aside from the party member's talent level in the lock catagory I have a conditional branch that checks whether the party has a lockpick item in there inventory, if none is present they cannot perform the task but if they posses at least 1 they will be able to run the lock picking talent check.

In the show text command in the MV event window hovering over the text space shows you a display of text display/control characters such as showing gold amount, colour text and pauses etc.
There is the option to bring up a window showing icons, but no commands to display an item amount i.e lock picks.
This is basically just to show how many the party has without having to check there inventory all the time.

For example a display of an item ID and it's quantity in the window or one like the bottom right which is a mockup of the gold display using \$ in text

Attachments

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no option to show an item amount but there is an option to show a variable. You should be able to store the item amount in a variable and then show the player that. If there's no built in way of grabbing this value in the editor, you can use the script box. You might have to look up the script call but I think it looks something like the following where itemId is the database id of the item you want to count.

$gameParty.numItems($dataItems[itemId]);

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Roguedeus
I strive for compatibility. Yanfly has over 150 plugins and a dev may have anywhere between zero and all of plugins installed so there no good way of knowing if any issues exist unless someone happens upon them. I design my plugins with the base engine first in my mind but I typically make sure that everything seems to work with Yanfly's main plugins.
Much appreciated.
I am using the lions share of the entire library and intend to make use of this set of plugins, so I'll be sure to report what I find.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tried using that scipt call, refering to item 7- but nothing shows. Perhaps it is because it is called before the plugin command of the talent check and that it immediately skips to open that window instead? I am not sure.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roguedeus Cool

@Skurge
Sorry, I thought you were doing something with the standard message box outside of the Talent Check scene. I'll take a look at it and see if I can come up with way to customize this a little more so you can do what you're trying to do.

SuperMasterSword

That Guy You Dont Know
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Skurge I believe there is an option in the control variables event command to set a variable equal to the amount of an item. It's in the game data section if I remember correctly.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ahh now that I know how to do it with MV I can in text messages display an icon and variable matching the item quantity- however it displays itself awkwardly before the plugin command for talent checks are run, if there is a way to display it within the same window as the talent attempt or outside of it at the same time that will be very helpful for identifying item required talents such as lock picking.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Skurge
How did you implement requiring items in order to perform Talent Checks?

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Before activating the talent check plugin command simply run a conditional branch to see if you have 1 or more of the item, if not (else) you will not be able to proceed.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Skurge
I guess I just don't see why you'd want this middle ground then. By running a check up front (outside of the Talent Check scene), you would also inform the player what they'd need up front when you stopped them from performing the check.

The alternative would be to build requirements into the Talent plugin itself and define these in the plugin parameters. Then the Talent Check scene would inform them if they didn't meet the prerequisites. I don't think it would make sense to show the player what they need afterwards.

I do like this idea, though. I think it would be a useful addition to the Talents plugin.

zarasrage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you use the Talents and Talent-based Traits plugins to make a D&D multi-class system, the actors gain Traits by applying their points to raise talents that act as classes/specialties and will be locked into place. If you use the Class-based Traits plugin, their Traits are determined by class so changing class will change the traits. Actor-based Traits will stick as you can't change the actor.

RPG Maker MV doesn't store traits on the actors themselves. It just grabs them whenever it needs them based on the actor, class, states and equipment. I might play around with a system of permanent trait acquisition sometime but for now, that's what you have to work with.

Edit: It think that this plugin returns all of the points when an actor physically changes class. There's no really good way to know if the talent list for one class has the same talents as the list for another class. I'm pretty sure that the plugin just resets all of the points and talents. I might be able to put in an toggle to that let's you choose whether the points stay or get reset if need be. You need a consistent list between all actors if you wanted them to stay.
Heeeello, oh master, I just came here to ask if you finally made a way of keeping the points on place during Class Change. :D
(This is the most beautiful plugin I have ever found for a D&D lover like me!!!!!)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@zarasrage
I don't believe I got around to implementing this but since you mentioned it, it puts it back on my radar. I'll see what I can do about getting an update out to allow this functionality. Thanks for the reminder and kind words.

zarasrage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@zarasrage
I don't believe I got around to implementing this but since you mentioned it, it puts it back on my radar. I'll see what I can do about getting an update out to allow this functionality. Thanks for the reminder and kind words.
Naaah thanks to you man, this is the best!! :D

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Skurge
I guess I just don't see why you'd want this middle ground then. By running a check up front (outside of the Talent Check scene), you would also inform the player what they'd need up front when you stopped them from performing the check.

The alternative would be to build requirements into the Talent plugin itself and define these in the plugin parameters. Then the Talent Check scene would inform them if they didn't meet the prerequisites. I don't think it would make sense to show the player what they need afterwards.

I do like this idea, though. I think it would be a useful addition to the Talents plugin.
Eh To me it just makes sense to have a check first dependent on a required item before rolling a check to see how skillful you are in that area, otherwise you're characters would be able to pick locks with there fingernails or some other obscure method.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Skurge
I'll try to get this functionality in too.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi Frogboy, I've hit a problem where this plugin seems to be incompatible with Khas lighting plugin, well more to the point his core engine.

If I have both plugins on and yours below Khas (any of the 2, your core and talents) they don't even show in the menu, if I then put them above Khas in the plugin order, I can click talents from the menu (as it appears) but I get this error.

Capture.PNG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Spending the day reworking my maps, especially the first "biome". This time it's not even in the dark. :LZSwink:
Activity on the forums has increased lately, probably because of people staying home. The amount of work for moderators has increased lol.
At this point I've gotten so tired of April Fools on the internet that last year I just refused to even post anything on the RMW Social Media on April Fools in protest. Considering doing it again.
I posted a funny gag reel of Drifty's video's here, but realized it was probably too riskay, so I deleted it, oops, lol.
Another room (actually other half of previous room)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vashx