[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@padr81
I can take a look at it.

Edit:
@padr81
Take a look at your Synergy Bonuses. The error that you are getting from my plugin appears to be the result of trying to reference a Talent Abbreviation that doesn't exist in a Synergy Bonus. I didn't properly verify that this abbreviation matches an existing Talent before applying the bonus so it currently crashes in this case.

Last edited:

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frogboy - My synergy bonuses are all empty, I haven't added or done anything to them. They just show [] in the text box to fill them out.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@padr81
Must be a coincidence that it crashed on that line. I did find the issue, though. I used a bad technique that I thought that I had fixed all of the instances but apparently I didn't. I got it fixed and implemented a basic Required Item to perform a Talent Check functionality. I want to create a way to keep your distributed points when changing class and then I'll push out an update (probably tomorrow). I think that will cover all of the current requests for this plugin.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
You're a legend buddy.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TalentCore 1.3 Update

I completed a set of requested updates to the TalentCore plugin.
  1. First off, I somehow still had some code in here that didn't play nice with some other plugins. That's been fixed.
  2. Item Requirement has been added. Under Talent Config, you can now specify an item requirement, a number of this item that is required and whether or not the required item or items are consumed when the talent check is made. This will allow you to force the party to have the proper items in order to perform certain talents. Examples would be Lockpicks in order to use a Lockpick talent or Engine Parts in order to use a Repair Warp Engine talent. The Style property has Show Required Item setting that allows you to configure how this is displayed in the Talent Check window.
  3. There is now a Class Change Reset property that lets you set how changing an actor's class functions. The default behavior, when this is false, will be to restore their points when their class changes when the Save Level option is left unchecked but keep the distributed points when Save Level is checked. When this property is set to true, the points will always be reset on class change. Setting this to true is how the plugin worked up until this point. If you made a Talent system where each class has unique talents, you'll need to turn this on as their points could get lost on talents that they no longer have access to.

@padr81 @Skurge @zarasrage
Let me know if you run into any issues.

v1-3.PNG

zarasrage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TalentCore 1.3 Update

I completed a set of requested updates to the TalentCore plugin.
  1. First off, I somehow still had some code in here that didn't play nice with some other plugins. That's been fixed.
  2. Item Requirement has been added. Under Talent Config, you can now specify an item requirement, a number of this item that is required and whether or not the required item or items are consumed when the talent check is made. This will allow you to force the party to have the proper items in order to perform certain talents. Examples would be Lockpicks in order to use a Lockpick talent or Engine Parts in order to use a Repair Warp Engine talent. The Style property has Show Required Item setting that allows you to configure how this is displayed in the Talent Check window.
  3. There is now a Class Change Reset property that lets you set how changing an actor's class functions. The default behavior, when this is false, will be to restore their points when their class changes when the Save Level option is left unchecked but keep the distributed points when Save Level is checked. When this property is set to true, the points will always be reset on class change. Setting this to true is how the plugin worked up until this point. If you made a Talent system where each class has unique talents, you'll need to turn this on as their points could get lost on talents that they no longer have access to.

@padr81 @Skurge @zarasrage
Let me know if you run into any issues.

Thank you very much Frogy that was so fast!
I will try it as soon as possible! :LZYcheeze::LZYcheeze::LZYcheeze:

*EDIT
Oh I believe I was thinking the other way around.... like maintaining the Actor point on talents when you change classes :LZYsmile:

(Maybe it interferes too much with the fact that two classes can have different talent lists..... ??)

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@zarasrage
No problem. The new Class Change Reset enables you to choose now. To keep the distributed points, you'll want to set this to false and make sure you check the Save Level box when you change class. I have to reset the points when a character is reverted back to their initial level as that completely changes their max points and talent levels. It makes the numbers go wonky as they could have 30 ranks in a talent and then go back to level 1 where where the max might be 4. When you preserve their experience, though, keeping their current talent levels can work just fine as long your talent system gives all actors the same talents.

So yeah, just set this property to false and you should be good.

zarasrage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhhh I get it now! It will work just perfect in my project.
Thank you very for everything man you are the best! :D

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're excellent, @Frogboy . Is there a way to add a bonus from a custom parameter to the talent window or only when using the talent? I think I can add a custom Strength bonus when checking the talent, but it would be nice to visualize this in the talent window (so a dexterous actor could add to acrobatics, for example, and the player could see how much the custom parameter contributes to the roll).

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Pine Towers
I'm not exactly sure I know what you're asking for here. My best guess is something like the Attribute bonus that you get in d20 that adds to your Skills. For example, a 16 in Dexterity would add +3 to all Dex-based Skills. Is this what you're looking for? If not, I'll need you to elaborate a little more on your request.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy , that's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm using a plugin (ICF-Soft Params) that allow for custom parameters and would love to make it integrate easier with your plugin by showing to the player that his 16 in Dexterity is giving him +3 to Dex-skills. Thank you for the quick answer.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll see what I can do. I've thought about this from the beginning but since RPG Maker stats tend to differ quite a bit from d20 stats, I haven't tackled it yet. It should be doable.

I've also been thinking about making a plugin that can emulate the rest of the d20 stat system (BAB, Saves, attributes, rolls, bonuses etc). I didn't originally plan to craft an entire d20 suite but that appears to be where the demand is. There's a lot of devs looking for this and no one else seems to be actively pursuing these ideas.

eXalted

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy I'm currently using the plugin for my game and it's great. It has so many options!

I discovered that pressing ESC (canceling) during the Talent Check pop up checks the variable of the last roll and sometimes this leads to the success of the current check.

I found that changing this in Scene_TalentCheckResults.prototype.createCommandWindow() :

this._commandWindow.setHandler('cancel', this.popScene.bind(this));
to
this._commandWindow.setHandler('cancel', this.commandPass.bind(this));
...fixes it.

I've also been thinking about making a plugin that can emulate the rest of the d20 stat system (BAB, Saves, attributes, rolls, bonuses etc). I didn't originally plan to craft an entire d20 suite but that appears to be where the demand is. There's a lot of devs looking for this and no one else seems to be actively pursuing these ideas.
This would be a w e s o m e!

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@eXalted
Wow, thanks for the debugging work there! I'll push a fix as soon as I can.

And thanks for the complements. Versatility/configurability are two things I strive pretty heavily for. Well, in all honesty, I usually just start thinking of a bunch of stuff and can't help myself from adding it in. I also get lots of good ideas from the community.

I have a couple/few other plugins to get to before tackling one that'll rewrite base mechanics of the engine but if you like d20 enough that even want this, you'll like those too.

eXalted

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@eXalted
Wow, thanks for the debugging work there! I'll push a fix as soon as I can.
No problem, I'm glad it was so easy to find the culprit.

I have a couple/few other plugins to get to before tackling one that'll rewrite base mechanics of the engine but if you like d20 enough that even want this, you'll like those too.
Really like the direction of all your plugin and appreciate what you give to the community!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TalentCore 1.3.2 Update

Bug fix: Escaping out of a talent check registered as an attempt instead of a pass.

eXalted

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, Frogboy, I found something that would be nice if it is added to this plugin.

I think it will be a good idea to add actor.refresh(); to the bottom of the Scene_Talents.prototype.refreshActor() and Scene_TalentCheckResults.prototype.refreshActor() methods. This way, if the talent points are in a formula of some kind in the actor, it will refresh them. For example, all the actor ex-parameters will be refreshed if the plugin is used together with Yanfly Ex-Parameters and you want an ex-parameter value to depend on a Talent.

Blue001

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any chance for the Spell list setup to get a "Spells Allowed Per Slot" function, so I can limit a character to say, 3 spells of each level? So once they have 3, it sets all other spells in that slot level to "unlearnable"?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Blue001
I think you accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. :)

But yeah, this shouldn't be difficult to add.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I spent the whole day creating and finishing around 12 skills and fixing 2 others... and 3 of them are still buggy... *sigh* only like 20 more skills to go!
I don't know why you should be reading this, but I doubt you're going to find anything useful here.
so, ive been gone for too long when i log in and see that everything is where is shouldn't be. XD
Steam killing my eyes.. I forgot why I use it only when I have no other choice
Making a map, my brain went "Look, Mjölnir!" as I plotted out a sacrificial entrance.

Actually, it went, "Look, hammer. Wait, Thor's hammer!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apolos