[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

SirCumferance

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Frogboy, thanks for the help on the other post.... I dont forum well.
Loving your script, very useful.

ADD: My bizzle, seems this IS the right place for this.
I am adding a skill "Leadership" and at certain ranks, trying to increase Party Size. How would one go aboot that?

@Frogboy

Last edited:

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frogboy
Time permitting, would you entertain adding a few options to your already amazing plugin? :biggrin:

First, an option limiting actors and classes to being able to manually allocate points only to a list of Talents? (actor and class limits combine?)
Note: Class Visibility can still be used to allow only a certain Class to see a talent, but must be on the manual allocation list to change it.

Second, a hybrid mode for Talent Point assignment? Where both an automatic assignment is possible along with manual allocation when points are available? Example: A Class might auto-gain talents as it levels, but occasionally earn bonus points the player can allocate as wanted. Presumably, from a list of class limited talents (hence the first option).

Third, perhaps a similar option to the horizontal advancement of talents, only for bonus talent points. Example: [0,0,1] would have the class gain +1 manual talent point at level 3 and every 3rd level after.

Fourth, would you allow more than one item to be required for a talent to be used? (I haven't needed it, but I can think of possible uses)

BTW, there is a typo in the desc of a Talents 'Require Item' parameter. It confused me when I first saw it. ;)
Code:
 * @param Synergy Bonuses
 * @type struct<synergyBonusStruct>[]
 * @desc This talent gets a bonus if it's synergy requirements are met.
 * @default []
 * @param Required Item
 * @type struct<requiredItemStruct>
 * @desc This talent gets a bonus if it's synergy requirements are met.
 * @default {}
There is no hurry really. I am still in early prototyping at the moment.
If you can't get to it, I'll do my best too and share it here when complete.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roguedeus
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I will look into these, see if I can come up with a good design to add them in and all that jazz. Not sure exactly when I'll be able to get to it as I have a lot going on and requested changes for a few of my plugins are starting to pile up. The good news is that I haven't started work on another plugin yet so I'll be looking into the requests before doing so.

Holyhalo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy
Is there a way to set certain skills' Max type to Strict while others remain set to level? For example, have Light Armor Skill limited to 5 ranks but at rank five unlock L-Armor Master: Dodge and L-Armor Master: Crit, both of which can be leveled up to the characters current level.

Also, is it possible to change the proficiency bonus based on level or a different stat? For example, have the proficiency for Perception be +1/5 of your level and/or the proficiency for Swords be your atk value.

Lastly, is it possible to have someone affected by a certain state take the higher/lower of two rolls when doing a skill check? For example, Actor 2 is affected with Blind so he has trouble opening locks and perceiving things now so instead of just continuing with his skill checks like nothing happened, have him take the lower of two rolls for his skills.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frogboy
I've been wondering.
Is there a reason you didn't just make many of the variables (such as progressions, bonuses, caps, etc...) formulas? If there isn't any reason why they can't be made formulas, wouldn't that provide a rather large space for the customization those like @Holyhalo are requesting?
(As well as at least one of my suggestions above)

edit:
Holyhalo, is there a reason you don't just assign a talent adjustment to the state? Using the
Code:
<TalentBonus: [bonus_1] [abbr_1]>
note tags?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to set certain skills' Max type to Strict while others remain set to level?
No, this isn't possible right now. I'd have to redesign this portion of the plugin in order to change it from a global value to a local one so it wouldn't be a quick or easy change to make. I'll keep it in mind but I can't make any promises here.

Also, is it possible to change the proficiency bonus based on level or a different stat?
This one should be doable. As @Roguedeus said, I could make this a formula as opposed to a static value.

Lastly, is it possible to have someone affected by a certain state take the higher/lower of two rolls when doing a skill check?
Ah, I'm assuming that this a 5th Edition mechanic. I can look into this. I think I could do a note tag or something that marks a talent as having Advantage or Disadvantage and tossing in an extra roll. This doesn't sound too difficult.

@Roguedeus
This was my first big plugin and I was still finding my style when working on it. I mostly just wanted to keep it simple to use so there's likely a few things I can still do to improve it.

Holyhalo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roguedeus
It's mostly just that I'm a 5e player, which means pluses and minuses is not something I'm familiar with. Things just have advantage or disadvantage so you roll twice and take the higher or lower roll, depending. I'm also not sure what a good modifier would be. Is -5 to perception enough to convey the fact that you've suddenly been blinded by magic because you stepped in some arch-wizards trapped treasure room. At level 1, -5 seems like a solid hit but at level 20, do you still notice the difference between a +0 and a -5 to a skill?

@Frogboy
Is it possible to have a local one, on top of the global one, where the local one overrides the global one if it has a value in it? It sounds like it would be less work...
And yes, that last mechanic is the 5e advantage/disadvantage mechanic. As I said to Roguedeus, I don't have a grasp on + or -X to a skill so this system would work great for me. Thanks for the help so far.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Holyhalo
This is likely how I'd implement it if for no other reason, to ensure backwards compatibility. It still requires that that I look for this value locally which has has further implications for the plugin's design. This value is used for other things like figuring out the max value in the Talents window to show how large the gauges can possibly grow to. This has to set just right or the gauges will extend beyond the view or have extra space that can't be reached. There is likely other ramifications to changing this so I need to dig into the code to see if this is going to cause more issues than I can take on at the moment.

Holyhalo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy
That just goes to show how little I know about all of this programming stuff. Maybe some day I'll be able to code with the big boys but until then I'll just enjoy your plugins while I make my own games.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Holyhalo
Eh, it's just like anything else. There's no way of knowing these kinds of particulars unless it's something you do. But if it's something you're ever interested in, RPG Maker is a pretty decent way to learn pure JavaScript and there's a ton of YouTubers and websites that make it a lot easier to pick up than it was in the old days. Lots of help here on the forums too.

And thanks for the complement. I hope to keep creating cool new plugins for everyone.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frogboy
Another possible option for consideration.
Allowing a defined talent, to include a conditional formula to appear in the Talent list of an actor.
Code:
 * @param Visibility Check
 * @type note
 * @desc A multi line formula that must evaluate true/false to enable this talent in the menu.
 * @default true
This may also imply a new Visibility Option, 'Check' to be added.

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy Wow! I've been looking for something like this for like...forever! Can't believe you made one. Thanks so much! Can't wait to try it out.

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy This plugin is looking awesome! Got a question: How do I use a talent in a damage formula?
For example:

Mage can level up her "Fire Mastery" and "Ice Mastery" talents. Her spells damage will change depending on her Talent rank: the damage formula for the Fireball spell might be "a.mtk + a.fire *10", while damage formula for Blizzard spell might be "a.mtk + a.ice * 10".

Or having the damage formula for an intelligent sword be based on not only attack but also a character's persuasion talent rank, etc.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@watermark
Thanks! To use a Talent in a damage formula, make sure that the Save Talent Object Add to Formulas plugin parameter is set to true. That'll make your talent abbreviations accessible within the formulas. So if you have Fire as the abbreviation for a talent, a.fire will reference that actor's talent score just as it would a attribute like Attack or Defense.

Edit: Stated the wrong parameter

Rebella

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I have to thank you so much for this its gonna help me so much! I have waited years for someone to make a script like this for MV! <3

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I hope this isn't necroposting. But I have an aestetic question.

I'm digging through the code trying to figure out how to remove the header from the Talent slot window, move the talent slots up a line and make the cursor default on the first line. But I'm having no luck. I can comment out the text but that's about it with my limited knowledge. If anyone have any pointers I'd be grateful.

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there any way to attach proficiency, rank limits, etc. to having a specific skill in addition to classes? For example, like the "Class Skill" feats in Knights of the Old Republic and the system it was based on.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Weremole
Unfortunately, customizing the UI is kind of tricky. It's not like HTML where drawn elements render depending on what's already been drawn to the window. Everything has to be drawn at specific x, y coordinates so removing an element just frees up the space it took up. Nothing else changes, though. You have to alter all of the other element's x, y, height and width to fill in that extra space.

@malonkey1
I'm not sure. You'd have to go into more detail as I'm not familiar with the system used in KotOR.

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
@Weremole
Unfortunately, customizing the UI is kind of tricky. It's not like HTML where drawn elements render depending on what's already been drawn to the window. Everything has to be drawn at specific x, y coordinates so removing an element just frees up the space it took up. Nothing else changes, though. You have to alter all of the other element's x, y, height and width to fill in that extra space.
I managed it in the end so all's good. =)

skillpointscreen.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Broke: Dont move. -boring. -passive. -uncreative. Woke: Bewegen Sie Nicht! +authoritative. +foreign. +reminds your son that he's a garden gnome now.
My girlfriend left a note on the fridge saying 'This isn't working, goodbye.' I opened the refrigerator and it works just fine. Weird.
BCj
Could someone translate something from Japanese to English for me?
You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertykillme