[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@malonkey1
I'm not sure. You'd have to go into more detail as I'm not familiar with the system used in KotOR.
It's basically a d20-based system like 3rd Edition D&D. When a character picks a "Class Skill" feat, like "Class Skill: Demolitions" they just add it to their class skill list.

In this case, what I would want is to be able to define a Talent such that a character can have proficiency in it based on either class, or whether they have a specific Skill (or maybe even a State, then I could just use Yanfly's Passive States).

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Weremole
Looks awesome!

@malonkey1
I don't have anything exactly like that yet. There are ways to kind of work around it like granting a State the same bonus and making it a passive state. The color coding wouldn't show as being a class skill, though (if you use that option).

The main reason why I don't have anything like this is because it falls best in the category of Feats. I don't yet have a plugin for this but plans to make one someday.

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Weremole
Looks awesome!

@malonkey1
I don't have anything exactly like that yet. There are ways to kind of work around it like granting a State the same bonus and making it a passive state. The color coding wouldn't show as being a class skill, though (if you use that option).

The main reason why I don't have anything like this is because it falls best in the category of Feats. I don't yet have a plugin for this but plans to make one someday.
Well, if you do make that plugin, I look forward to it!

Protagonist7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very cool! A few questions:

#1: Is there a way to make "Average Party Checks"? IE, averaging out a party's talent score to make a check for the whole party?

#2: Is there a way to make contested checks with another creature (such as an enemy)?

#3: Is there a way to make it so that random encounters are less common if you have either a high stealth or perception score? I'm trying to think of ways to make stealth and perception generally useful.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Protagonist7
1. No average option, just highest score (or perhaps a hidden check for each actor). It's an intriguing idea, though. I'll need to think about this one.

2. Not really. Enemies don't really exist in the same way that actor's do. It was something I tried to work in but the way the game engine itself works didn't really work well in this way. In D&D, enemies are essentially NPCs so it works fine but in RPG Maker, they are at best, events on a map that represent an enemy. What I did to remedy this the best I could was to easily define named modifiers that can adjust checks to be easier or harder. You can use these modifiers to simulate enemies of varying talent by making checks easier or harder based on the opposing enemy.

3. Again, no. Sorry. I like the idea, though, and I'll see what I can do to add this functionality. I think it would be useful.

Protagonist7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Protagonist7
1. No average option, just highest score (or perhaps a hidden check for each actor). It's an intriguing idea, though. I'll need to think about this one.

2. Not really. Enemies don't really exist in the same way that actor's do. It was something I tried to work in but the way the game engine itself works didn't really work well in this way. In D&D, enemies are essentially NPCs so it works fine but in RPG Maker, they are at best, events on a map that represent an enemy. What I did to remedy this the best I could was to easily define named modifiers that can adjust checks to be easier or harder. You can use these modifiers to simulate enemies of varying talent by making checks easier or harder based on the opposing enemy.

3. Again, no. Sorry. I like the idea, though, and I'll see what I can do to add this functionality. I think it would be useful.
Thanks. I'm wanting my game to have four 'primary' classes, and have those be fighter, rogue, mage, cleric. There's also six 'hybrid' classes (IE, a ranger is a fighter/rogue, a superhero is a mage/fighter, etc). I'm wanting rogues to be the skill-based class.

However, I want enemies to typically use classes similar to what the player has available, but I'm not sure how to translate rogue abilities into something that can be used against the player. I'm contemplating including some form of stealth-based gameplay surrounding encounters. IE, having it so random encounters are events appearing on the map, and your perception is required to make certain ones visible; and similarly your stealth skill might do something like make it harder for enemy events to spot you.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Protagonist7
Yeah, I'm not really aware of a good way to make enemies with classes in the same way that D&D enables. It's been on my list of plugin ideas from the beginning but I've found that RPG Maker enemies pretty much don't exist until a battle starts so it's kind of limiting. Haven't come up with a good way to do this yet.

I designed my Talent system as an extension of non-combat or out-of-battle abilities. If I ever develop a FROG Battle plugin, I will almost certainly integrate Talents so that so things like Pickpocket, Feint and Tumble may be implemented in some way to somewhat simulate that experience. Basically, it would be a way to attach a Talent Check to a Skill that actually fires off one of two other Skills depending on if the check passes or fails. Just ideas at this stage, though.

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Protagonist7
Yeah, I'm not really aware of a good way to make enemies with classes in the same way that D&D enables. It's been on my list of plugin ideas from the beginning but I've found that RPG Maker enemies pretty much don't exist until a battle starts so it's kind of limiting. Haven't come up with a good way to do this yet.

I designed my Talent system as an extension of non-combat or out-of-battle abilities. If I ever develop a FROG Battle plugin, I will almost certainly integrate Talents so that so things like Pickpocket, Feint and Tumble may be implemented in some way to somewhat simulate that experience. Basically, it would be a way to attach a Talent Check to a Skill that actually fires off one of two other Skills depending on if the check passes or fails. Just ideas at this stage, though.
On a related note, would there be any way to use a Talent check to determine if a skill hits (like making an attack roll in D&D)? So my Fighter whose Attack Talent is maxed out is much more likely to hit an opponent than my Wizard, who has a pitiful Attack talent? Because it seems like that should be possible, but I'm not sure if it's doable.

If not, I can probably hack something together.

Protagonist7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, I figured out how to do what I'm wanting to do with Stealth:

Upon getting a random encounter, it will roll each party member's stealth. Depending on their stealth check, it will apply various levels of 'stealth' states to the PC in question that gives them bonuses for the entire battle.

Similarly, the PCs must make perception checks against the enemies, and if they fail them they get the 'ambushed' state which makes them unable to move for a while. Or alternatively I might have it give the 'stealthy' state above to the enemies or give a bonus 'you saw the enemy coming' state to the team.

Protagonist7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hm, well mostly. I'm having an odd 'glitch' of some sort. I got it so that, during an encounter, an enemy can sneak up on the player or vice-versa. However, for some reason the two contradict each other. Once it rolls the main actor's stealth, it takes away the enemy's stealth.

Here's what I have on Page 1:
◆If:Lewis is in the party

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:5 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:perc target:4 view:show

◆If:L5 ≤ 0

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:6 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:perc target:4 view:show

◆If:L6 ≤ 0

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:7 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:perc target:4 view:show

◆If:L7 ≤ 0

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:8 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:perc target:4 view:show

◆If:L8 ≤ 0

◆Change Enemy State:#1 Dark Elf Rogue, + Stealth IV

:Else

◆Change Enemy State:#1 Dark Elf Rogue, + Stealth III

:End

◆Change Enemy State:#1 Dark Elf Rogue, + Stealth II

◆Change Enemy State:#1 Dark Elf Rogue, + Stealth I

And here's page 2:

◆If:Lewis is in the party

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:1 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:stealth target:4 view:show

◆If:L1 ≥ 0

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:2 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:stealth target:4 view:show

◆If:L2 ≥ 0

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:3 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:stealth target:4 view:show

◆If:L3 ≥ 0

◆Plugin Command:TALENT CHECK var:4 type:rnd aid:5 abbr:stealth target:4 view:show

◆If:L4 ≥ 0

◆Change State:Lewis, + Stealth IV

◆Change State:Lewis, + Stealth III

◆Change State:Lewis, + Stealth II

◆Change State:Lewis, + Stealth I

Do you know why the game can't handle both?
(For the record, I'm going to change the 'show' to 'none' view by the finished product-while I'm testing the proof of concept I wanna see how it works).

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
On a related note, would there be any way to use a Talent check to determine if a skill hits (like making an attack roll in D&D)? So my Fighter whose Attack Talent is maxed out is much more likely to hit an opponent than my Wizard, who has a pitiful Attack talent? Because it seems like that should be possible, but I'm not sure if it's doable.

If not, I can probably hack something together.
Okay, so I've found something that may work on this. I have Victor Sant's Hit Formula plugin, and in the hit formula, make a check against the target's Talent with the user's Talent using the script calls, and if the result is 0 or greater, give it 100% hit chance, otherwise, give it 0% hit chance.

I'll work on it and try and get it working.

Protagonist7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, so here's another question: Is there a way to make it so states effect your talents?

C.W. Plainview

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just want to echo the request from a couple pages back about adding attribute/parameter (STR, DEX, etc.) bonuses to talent checks. This is an amazing plugin. I am amazed there hasn't been more D&D inspired plugins before this.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Protagonist7
At the bottom of the documentation, there's a small section on Note Tags. Pretty sure you can use these on States.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm not sure what I have done wrong with this script. I have turned every other plugin off except for this one and the Core script, and whenever I launch my game, I get a typeerror, cannot read property "length" of undefined. There is no other information it is giving me, not even a line where the error occurred.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RedFoxGaming
If you press F12 after you get the error, you'll get a more detailed error message with the line number.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, I'm not sure what happened honestly. I redownloaded the scripts and now they all work fine. I can only assume first go around Ubuntu decided to not download the entire file, so maybe something in the script was missing. The line it gave me referred to an array in a for loop and it wasn't reading data in the array. Not sure why, but I redownloaded all the files and now they work fine.

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, so this plugin works great with Victor Sant's Custom Hit Formula plugin, I was just making it harder for myself by not noticing the "add to formulas" feature.

All you need to do is reference the Talent in the hit formula, just like the damage formula. Below is an example, rolling d20, adding the user's "perc," and comparing it to the opponent's "perc" plus 10, to emulate 3rd edition D&D attack rolls.

Code:
<hit formula>
  let roll = Math.floor(Math.random() * (20 - 1)) + 1;
  if (roll + a.perc >= 10 + b.perc){
    result = 100;
  } else {
    result = 0;
  }
</hit formula>

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@malonkey1
That's slick! Victor's Custom Hit Formula looks like a perfect match to accomplish a ton 3E+ D&D mechanics in an RPG Maker game. I'm glad you found that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?
Halloween, a day where kids are encouraged to take candy from strangers.
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakshitkaneki