[FROG] Talent Core - A D&D like Skill system and/or character building system!

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Frogboy, Mar 6, 2018.

1. malonkey1

malonkey1 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Pair that with Himeworks's Weapon Damage formula plugin and you can pretty handily replicate how attack damage works in D&D.

I'm really glad I found this plugin. It works great with so many others, and it's so flexible. It's a bangup job, @Frogboy. If you have a Ko-fi or something I could donate to, I'd love to.

Frogboy likes this.
  2. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @malonkey1
    I'm going to guess that the Hime plugin allows you to do things like 1d8+4 and such. That's awesome!

Thanks for the complement! I don't have a Ko-fi or Patreon. I'm not really committed to being a being a consistent creator at this time and just make these plugins for fun. Maybe if I decide to get really serious with this one day I will but for now, I'm just kind of hoping that someone makes a cool game with my plugins and sends me a copy to play. I think that would be pretty rad.

3. blade911

blade911 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, awesome looking plugin, opens so many doors for some types of games. good job.

Frogboy likes this.
  4. KaitoKuroba

KaitoKuroba Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey,

cool plugin, would like to use it. But...

upload_2019-1-6_16-26-13.png
    I discovered this error when clicking on a charakter under the tab "Talents". Can you please help me?

Frogs Core is installed of course.

Bests
    Kaito

5. malonkey1

First Language:
    English
    Any other plugins?

If you press "F12" while the game is running, it pulls up the console, which will have more details that you could provide.

6. KaitoKuroba

KaitoKuroba Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yep, LNM lights. Nothing more since my project is fresh.

Bests
    Kaito

7. C.W. Plainview

C.W. Plainview Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Frogboy, I've been utilizing your plugin and it's been great. I have a couple of questions.

Is there a way to show the roll like in the SHOW view mode, but hide the target number and gauge? That way, the player knows they are making a roll, but can't see the target number. The difference between the NONE view mode and SHOW view mode seems like all or nothing, when it would be nice to also have one somewhere in between. I could go into the JavaScript file myself and comment out where it draws the target number and gauge, but I'd like to be able to have the option to switch between showing the target number and hiding it between various rolls.

Also, is there an ETA on when we might also see the ability to have stats (like ATK and AGI) provide bonuses to talent checks?

Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work!

8. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KaitoKuroba
    I'd need more detail to help you out. Maybe some steps to reproduce the error.

@C.W. Plainview
    You can turn off the numbers but not the gauges (Style -> Show Check Numbers). I didn't anticipate that window being of much use without the gauges showing the player whether they succeeded or failed.

I don't have an eta right now on any upgrades. I haven't had a lot of free time for the last few months to work on my plugins. I want to get back at it as soon as I can but can't say for certain when that'll be.

9. Rasllen

Rasllen Villager Member

First Language:
    português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    About the Race Core Plugin Is there a possibility for the player to choose his race at the start of the game?

10. BlueVikingr

BlueVikingr The Dragonbirb Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would think that you could probably event something like that fairly easily, Rasllen. Make an event with a Show Choices option asking what race you are, then depending on the choice use the appropriate plugin command to set the character's race. If I did that, I'd also change the character's appearance based on which race was selected, so that there was a slightly different graphic if you chose to set your race as an elf than there was if you set it as a dwarf, for example.

11. GreenDude

GreenDude Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For some reason TraitbasedTalents isn't working. Talent Core works perfectly, better than expected. But when I try to add a talent, nothing happens. No help text, no application of the bonus... nothing.

12. RPL

RPL Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi !

First of all : what an incredible work you've done with it, thank you so much for sharing !

I'd like being able to specify die type and count for each talent separately. I've been looking into the js file but I still don't really see how to do that. I'm almost sure it wouldn't be so hard to do, any advice ?

13. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rasllen
    As @BlueVikingr noted, that functionality would need to be evented and set manually with the script or plugin commands. I do plan on making a character creator plugin similar to Final Fantasy 1 where you can choose your party make-up by choosing each character's name, class, race etc. No ETA on when that will be released, though.

@GreenDude
    I'll take a look at that and see if I find any problems.

@RPL
    The plugin uses one die-roll formula for all Talents. I probably figured that it would be a little too tedious and hard to manage if every Talent could have it's own formula and associated target numbering system to go along with it. It probably wouldn't be super difficult to add. Could cause a lot of confusion for the player, though. Why are you looking for this feature?

SoftCloud likes this.
  14. malonkey1

First Language:
    English
    I assume they want replicate a different style of check (e.g. GURPS 3d6 roll under skill or World of darkness count dice at or over target).

As far as just changing die size/number, I would think that would be relatively easy, but specific types of rolls might require basically their own mini sub-plugins.

15. Skurge

Skurge " (GASP) What's going on!? " Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I haven't touched this plugin in a while but i've just made some break throughs on my first island development, i'll be moving onto expanding the skills usable on the island so far I've been experimenting with lock picking on parked cars which failing checks can result in car alarms going off.

Frogboy likes this.
  16. RPL

RPL Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frogboy @malonkey1

Thanks for your answers.

Actually I'm trying to build a game mechanic inspired by the Burning Wheel rules book. It is a system that I could finally emulate through random so it's ok. It will be a CRPG focused on social skills and dialogue-based conflicts so I will need a high level of management for skills, traits and more. I've been looking for a way to add categories to talents (a bit like the native skill types). I could use the skill menu and then link skills to talents through scripted common events, it is not very effective but I would probably go this way for now. Also it means that I won't be able to show the talents by type in the menu.

Ps: To store a talent score in a variable using its script box should I use something like $gameVariables.setValue(8, FROG.Talents.getActorTalentScore(1, clim)); ?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    Frogboy likes this.
  17. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Excited to give this a run. :)

Frogboy likes this.
  18. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @RPL
    Looks like that should work except for the Talent abbreviation needs to have quotes around it.

19. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My only wish is that there was a video demonstration of script call / plugin call from the plugin. But loving it so far :)

Frogboy likes this.
  20. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @CalebW
    That's kind of a tall order. It's time-consuming enough making demos and documenting all of the features I bake into my plugins. Making Yanfly-like videos to also go along with them would likely have me spending far more time not making plugins than I'd be spending making them.

CalebW likes this.