TheOddFellow

Overactive Artisan Story Crafter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've searched around the net and have found nothing slightly related to my question phrased in the topic title above. I realize I can drag save files from one game (if it is unencrypted) to another game file (also not encrypted) and load up just fine (while all the items exist, map ID is within range, etc, etc... And I've thoroughly tested this by creating two dummy games and passing the file back and forth.)

Now, I realize that VX Ace must have some code stashed somewhere to tell it where to find the save files. I assume a little bit of code tweaking will allow me to search more broadly than that, but I am ununsed to ruby.

So my question is, has anyone found such a bit of code, or know anything about it?

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One question that rises from your question is... why?

What do you wanna do with saves of other games?

Look, I can understand that porting characters in one way or another from one game to its sequel makes sense, like what Mass Effect did.

But seriously, why port exact saves with places and stuff from unrelated games?  :dizzy:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately it doesn't really work this way in a folder structure.

Most programs work with a relative structure, which means they give only the names to subfolders from their current position. This has been more or less enforced because it is needed to allow the programs to be installed wherever the user wants.

To enable a load from a different project, a program would need to be able to go up in the folder structure and then guess the other project's path - because your players can have the other games stored in different locations.

Yes, that is possible - but usually the other program needs to store its path into a registry setting where the second program can check and load the absolute path, and even that is usually done during installation, not during runtime.

So basically trying to do that will require a lot of work in coding - and the question is "why?".

Usually the chapters of a story are combined in a single project, no need for a save transfer and easier on the handling.

If there are a lot of differences between your game chapters (so that it's worth making them into different projects), then you don't want to transfer the save files because the save files will contain data that is no longer needed and might even be conflicting. If that is the case, you're better off with writing a new file containing only the limited data you want to transfer, and have your other project open that transfer file instead of a save file.

That also requires a bit of work, but since you write and set that file you can make sure it's in a position that can be read by the later project.

One question however: How many games have you already completed? Completing a game is a lot of work, and you shouldn't start thinking about how to transfer data between projects if you haven't completed even a single game project yet. You'll need the experience of completing a game (including bughunt) to correctly understand the problems of transfering data between games.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can do this by simply copy pasting the save files, if the data from the two games are mostly the same...

Now, I realize that VX Ace must have some code stashed somewhere to tell it where to find the save files. I assume a little bit of code tweaking will allow me to search more broadly than that, but I am ununsed to ruby.
Ever tried of looking into DataManager? that's where saving and loading is handled

TheOddFellow

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One question however: How many games have you already completed? Completing a game is a lot of work, and you shouldn't start thinking about how to transfer data between projects if you haven't completed even a single game project yet. You'll need the experience of completing a game (including bughunt) to correctly understand the problems of transfering data between games.

One question that rises from your question is... why?

What do you wanna do with saves of other games?

Look, I can understand that porting characters in one way or another from one game to its sequel makes sense, like what Mass Effect did.

But seriously, why port exact saves with places and stuff from unrelated games?  :dizzy:
Because I completed the prologue to my game, and wish to move it to ANOTHER game which will be a little bit more organized (with variable naming conventions, common events, etc.) so I can better complete it.

And, I just had a thought. Would I be able to update a game once it is uploaded to steam? Add a little more content to it such as story, monsters, etc?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if it uses the encrypted archive, all you need is to simply upload the new encrypted archive... if it doesn't then you just upload the updated Data files and any additional images/audio

TheOddFellow

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it uses the encrypted archive, all you need is to simply upload the new encrypted archive... if it doesn't then you just upload the updated Data files and any additional images/audio
So, I can continuously update my game until I've finished in chapter parts? (If i've understood your answer correctly.)

Then, sweet!

Now, I just need some artists, a paralax mapper, and do some messing around with the Luna engine.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Beware though as some scripts when added causes errors when you load a save file made before adding that script... I think most of Yanfly's scripts for example does that.

Also, it will only work as long as the list of data saved into the save file doesn't change. Like if in chapter 1 you only save actors, then on chapter 2 you should still only save actors, else you won't be able to load the older save.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOddFellow

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beware though as some scripts when added causes errors when you load a save file made before adding that script... I think most of Yanfly's scripts for example does that.

Also, it will only work as long as the list of data saved into the save file doesn't change. Like if in chapter 1 you only save actors, then on chapter 2 you should still only save actors, else you won't be able to load the older save.
Thanks for the warning. But, I'm a little confused.

Let's say I upload a game, but only 1 chapter is completed. Then, I update the game, lengthening it, and only add more content. Will the only errors I receive from doing this be if I add scripts later on? I would not be removing battlers, states, etc...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's why I said you need some experience before you can handle updating.

If you add anything that changes the basic gamedata structure, then the player will need to start a new game, defeating your purpose.

Because I completed the prologue to my game, and wish to move it to ANOTHER game which will be a little bit more organized (with variable naming conventions, common events, etc.) so I can better complete it.
If you changed the function of the switches, any loading of the old game data will set the new switches to the position of the old. The only thing you're allowed to change is the name of the switches used, NOT their usage.
And if the only thing you changed are the names, it would be easier to rename the switches in the old project, continuing there.

If you add a script that requires setup initialisation, the player will be required to start a new game and all old savefile will be invalidated.

This will make your idea even more critical, because you would need to add the script to both the new and the old chapter game and the player would have to start the new game from chapter 1 then.

You now are experiencing the reason why I suggest in my starting point to begin with a learning project and then scrap it - reorganizing a game while keeping the old saves is effectively impossible, if you try to do that you'll have more work than redoing the original story in a new project is.

My suggestion: forget about keeping the chapter one data, start anew - it's a lot easier that way.

EDIT:

To answer your last question, as long as you only add to the database and to the maps, your saves will be compatible.

Changing the database (that includes changing switches and variables) will cause logical problems in the game, because the engine works on the IDs, not on names or other data.

Changing the maps might cause problems if the player is currently on the changed map - for example if he is in an area that has an exit on the old but not on the new map version.

Changing scripts will have a good chance that it will require starting a new game - most scripts that need to initialize their data will require a new gamestart, only small scripts might work without one.

TheOddFellow

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT:

To answer your last question, as long as you only add to the database and to the maps, your saves will be compatible.

Changing the database (that includes changing switches and variables) will cause logical problems in the game, because the engine works on the IDs, not on names or other data.

Changing the maps might cause problems if the player is currently on the changed map - for example if he is in an area that has an exit on the old but not on the new map version.

Changing scripts will have a good chance that it will require starting a new game - most scripts that need to initialize their data will require a new gamestart, only small scripts might work without one.
Alright then. That's all I'll do. Once it's published, I'll strictly only change database stuff. No variable moves or anything. If I find a good script, I'll just save it for my next game when I release THAT in chapters.

I think that answers all my questions. Thank you community for being ever so helpful! Now! I'm off to find some artists!

If no one has any other nuggets of wisdom, this topic can be closed.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
With Ace, if the version on the saved file is different than the current version of the game (the engine does this automatically), it simply reloads the current map... That will normally avoid errors or problems, but it can also bring about new problems like a previous autorun that was erased on that map running again since the map was reloaded.

TheOddFellow

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With Ace, if the version on the saved file is different than the current version of the game (the engine does this automatically), it simply reloads the current map... That will normally avoid errors or problems, but it can also bring about new problems like a previous autorun that was erased on that map running again since the map was reloaded.
Thanks for the warning, but I had noticed this functionality before and use the event's self switches to end repetition.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sometimes (or maybe a lot of times) you need an event that repeats whenever you go back to the map, which is why you use erase event instead of self-switches + pages... That's where the problem comes in... If the player saves on that map, then you upload a new version of the game and the player downloads that first then loads the older save file, the erased autorun events on that map would re-run...

TheOddFellow

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sometimes (or maybe a lot of times) you need an event that repeats whenever you go back to the map, which is why you use erase event instead of self-switches + pages... That's where the problem comes in... If the player saves on that map, then you upload a new version of the game and the player downloads that first then loads the older save file, the erased autorun events on that map would re-run...
First. Dang, you have a quick response time. Do you ever sleep?

Second, I'll find a way around that. It should be just like if the player was to do something and save, then quit, and then load his save. (You have experienced that before, right?)

Third, will changing the tile sets affect the gameplay? Not the collision part of it, just the actual pictures, same for same.eaning it wouldn't be any bigger or longer.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The game would load the new images...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Whenever I start on a new chapter, it doesn't feel like the next episodes, but more like sequels :)
It can be frustrating that so many commercial games have used up titles that might otherwise be great for a project.
Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epitaph78