How do you (yes, YOU) feel about front view battle systems in JRPGs?

• They're the best, why make any other kind?

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Visual perspective honestly doesn't matter that much to me.

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • I prefer side-view, but I could enjoy a front view game that stands out in other aspects.

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Why would anyone ever do this? Sideview is inherently superior. Stop it!

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you (yes, YOU) feel about front view battle systems in JRPGs? Personally, having never played any of the Dragon Quest series, to me there's something very uniquely "RPG Maker" about front view systems, even more specifically (and here I'm gonna date myself!) very uniquely "RM2K". Having internalized a lot of self-loathing regarding the engine I've been using my entire let's-laughingly-call-it-a-"career"-I-mean-why-not-right? to me front view battles feel less like something you'd encounter in a """"real" (impossible to put enough scare quotes around this) "game"""" they are a kind of mark of shame, almost. I remember being mystified when RMXP went back to front view after (a somewhat buggy and broken) sideview (ATB) was the default in RM2k3 and absolutely baffled that we didn't get back to a built in side-view battle system until I think MV? I don't think VXA had one but I'd be lying if I said I remembered for sure one way or another.

And in truth, I can't think of many games outside of the RM sphere that use this battle system/perspective! Might And Magic/Eye of the Beholder type games (I think I've heard this subgenre of RPG referred to as "first person labyrinth; Legend of Grimrock is a modern-ish example) do something very similar, but not the same, as the battle perspective is the same as the map screen, and there is no Final Fantasy style "dissolve" between "map scene" and "battle scene", this distinction does not exist.

I'm getting a weird feeling of deja vu as I post this so forgive me if idk, I posted this exact thread before in a past life or something??

This is a 30 day poll.

zerobeat032

Oh, it's that Zerobeat kid...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can do frontview depending on how it looks. I was going to do it myself until I figured out a way to streamline assets for sideview. But yeah, front can work as long as there's a bit to it. it's hard to explain what, but yeah... I can do frontview.

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it really depends on how the front view is presented. All Mother games are front-view RPGs. My favourite RPGMaker game (one of my favourite games ever) never looks like an RM game both in and out of battle, and is also front view. And now that sideview is offered by default, I don't think sideview is any less RPGMaker than front-view now.

Honestly, it's just how you handle the HUD and the art. Custom enemy art (especially if pixel), and a HUD that deviates from the default RM will do enough.

If Space Funeral taught me anything- it's that customizing even just the HUD, terms, enemy sprites, character sprites, tiles, etc... will go a long way to keep your game from seeming default.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can play games with front view or side view. It's not that which makes a battle system interesting/engaging/absorbing/whatever. It's all the other stuff.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of the Shin Megami Tensei games use front view. I think it works best on a small screen--the old handheld systems or today's smart phones.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think side-view is easier to make "interesting" to look at without that much extra effort beyond what RPG Maker offers by default. While frontview at default settings looks pretty boring, but I think it could work out fine if some extra effort is put into it. But for my own games, I've always gone with side-view, because I like seeing my characters in action and side-view works way better for that.
Of course, with a lot more effort, you could go for something in-between the two like what Golden Sun did, where you view your characters from the back, but they're more put to the side of the screen to give more depth to the field. That'd be pretty awesome, but also difficult to get working in RPG Maker while also making it look nice.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
It's weird; from an aesthetic perspective, I really enjoy the feel of the monsters facing me, like they're gazing at me in all their glory. But from a functional perspective, I *HATE* not having my party members be visible and move up and attack and cast with animation. I also don't want to read a log to know how much damage everyone took and what happened, I just want to see the numbers pop up over each battler's head as the action is performed. Thus, the only front-view battle systems I've enjoyed are modeled after the "Mystic Quest" style.

StoopidNook

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Visual perspective probably doesn't matter that much to me as long as something about the game hooks me. That said, I have a preference toward side-view battles, or at least those happens to be the games I played more of.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I actually really like front view. But I heavily dislike how RPG Maker does it because so little happens when something happens to your party, visually. However, I love how XP does it with the party members on screen.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe because this gets asked frequently?

Use whichever system you prefer and make the most of it. There's no reason for this to be even a remotely controversial subject.
I never said it was, also I'm not courting controversy by making a little poll on an RPG Maker website? (Now I do court controversy almost every day on a wide variety of completely and entirely unrelated fronts, but that's neither here nor there.)

Incidentally, poll results so far reveal an extreme probably-not-strictly rational hatred of frontview to be a real thing, less an equivalent extreme probably-not-strictly rational love for frontview.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not a fan of front view at all in most cases. The only things that really get free passes from me are vintage games, such as the dragon quest series. That's generally the nostalgia speaking though, and has nothing to do with front view actually being decent. Hell, the most recent dragon quest game (11) has pretty much abandoned classic front view outside its past-world-revisit minigame system.

It's just a lot more fun to see the characters move around the battlefield as opposed to "screen blinks, animation plays on foe, number pops out, repeat until enemies are dead."

Just don't use generator chibis in your side view, please. :D

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not that picky, since I grew up with front-view and still enjoy it just fine even though a more cinematic camera can be very pretty to look at. But showing the actors on-screen does require a lot of art assets or else it can look stiff and cheap. It might be easier to make flashy particle effects for front-view unless you are a good animator or have one commissioned.

I definitely care more about how readable your UI is and what kinds of mechanics the battle system has. I'll take a tactical front-view combat with special mechanics over a side-view combat with just default mechanics any day. Just make sure to include quality of life touches like letting me see what buffs/debuffs/status effects are on the actors (and preferably enemies too) and I'll be pretty happy.

nankada

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For front-view battles, I need a minimum of party portraits/faces displayed to get into them. Just the actor names to identify who's who is not enough. Then if you can create tension/flow/narrative immersion through the battle mechanics, it's all good.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've always had a fondness for front view (big Dragon Quest fan), but I believe Phantasy Star 4 has been the best iteration of the front view system. It has just as much visual information as sideview (while potentially using WAY less frames)

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on the game. Some I have planned for front view others side or isometric.

tiabuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Banana
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like them. The only reason I chose side view for my game is that it already is a side scroller game, so the transition from exploration to battle is rather smooth. Plus, why not? I am an artist, making the art will not be a problem, might as well go for the most popular. I am entirely dependent on people making cool, useful scripts, but at least I can flex with my art ^_^

Some games I find particularly beautiful that use front view battles: Phantasy Star IV, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei I, II and If (IV not so much, the art style is very inconsistent in that game), Persona Q and Q2, Mother 3 and Omori. She Dreams Elsewhere is yet to be released, but looks super cool-looking battles, too.

Now, I prefer when you can at least see the characters' portraits. I don't care about pretending to be in the game, so the "immersion" argument falls flat on me. I want to believe those characters are actually the foes I am looking at.

kelarly

Villager
Reaction score
I believe if your story is heavily character focused, then you will want to see your characters on the battle screen. If your characters are more blank states like the old pokemon or Dragon Quest games, then front view could work pretty well.
There's pros and cons to both styles. Side view obviously shows more action, while front view can show more detail on the enemy.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Apparently Amazon Prime users get free Genshin Impact stuff like primogems and whatnot every month, but I'm not sure I ever want to fall into the abyss of F2P ever again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th Nov to 2nd Dec (2021)

"Yeah. It's been a rough road lately. But that's the thing about the Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard it gets, or how many of them fall. They never stop fighting. The Rangers NEVER stop fighting".

Angela Deth, you are a hero of mine. Sorry for my first run of Wasteland 3.
We must press on. For all those we couldn't save. For all those we might yet save.
FirestormNeos wrote on DarkPlasmaBall's profile.
asking this here instead of the thread in question to avoid derailing it, but I'm curious; is there a particular reason you'd include a "Terms of Use" for an RPG Maker game? Like, are there multiplayer features for the game you're working on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Necrozys