RMMV Frontal battle system (Phantasy star like)

Xntraxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, i was wondering if you know some plugin or a way to make something like this but on RPG MAKER MV

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No one has made a plugin specifically for this, primarily because the hardest part of it isn't the plugin/coding/eventing, but all of the artwork involved.

If you can draw everything, it's just a matter of displaying the animation of the attacking character in front of the appropriate enemy, and the back-busts (butts?) when the characters are being attacked or using ranged/technique commands.

Anything that's not doable with the base MV engine (the back-busts) you can probably do with Yanfly Action Sequences, or some other plugin that lets you use Show Picture in a battle.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
:kaohi: You can fake it by repositioning the sideview battlers~
I have a plugin that lets you fake a back view system using the side view system, basically it just overrides the step directions and allows you to reposition the actors. Should be compatible with Yanfly's Battle Engine Core, too. You'll still need your own animated sprites to suit the new perspective. Link in case you're interested: view/download Cae_BattleStepY (Google Drive).

In case it helps, this post has a couple of suggestions for position formulae:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/caethyrils-plugins.106255/#post-976172
Note that YEP Battle Engine Core offers action sequences, which let you customise how battlers move when they use skills/items.

Edit: ninja'd.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So with that one, you would...draw tall sprites for your characters, then does it allow you to position them with negative Y values so they'd be visible from the waist up?

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ATT_Turan: my BattleStepY plugin just lets you reposition the battlers (also possible via BattleEngineCore) and automatically changes the step directions to go up/down rather than left/right. I just found the original request thread here in case you're interested.

Note that negative Y would be off the top of the screen, I'm guessing you meant some kind of cropping effect...? If so: no, my plugin doesn't change the size or assignment of battler sprite frames.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I forgot RPG Maker does Y backwards - I meant positive Y greater than the scene's height so that the battlers would display from their waists up as in the reference video in the first post.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ATT_Turan: oh right, that's definitely possible. RMMV doesn't have any problems with (or safeguards against) positioning sprite anchors outside of the viewport, and the sprites in the linked video look like they're anchored to the top of the status window anyway, which is within visible bounds. :kaothx:

I think most of the motions could be drawn as upper-body sprites, no need for cropping. Some "active" motions (e.g. swing, thrust) could be drawn full-body for use as skill motions if desired. Action sequences or other plugins could further customise how motions are used.

Xntraxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for being interested in my topic, I have been developing the idea and I have managed to mount a bust from behind attacking an enemy using SRD HUDMAKER plugin, I leave an image below:

imagen_2021-04-13_185436.png

Now the thing that challenge me is, how i can make the Back bust of my character (The guy with the gun) dissapear when Attacking, casting a skill, or using a item; i want this because i will do every action and move via "animations", so i only need the character's bust to show when his turn is active...

I know that SRD hudmaker plugin let you show some pictures with certain conditions or commands, i was wondering if there is a way to make the picture dissapear when attacking,etc.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I know that SRD hudmaker plugin let you show some pictures with certain conditions or commands, i was wondering if there is a way to make the picture dissapear when attacking,etc.
Try this as a condition:
JavaScript:
BattleManager._phase === 'action';
This should be true during the action phase...I think that's when battlers show their motions etc. If you want to invert the condition, you can use !== ("not equal") instead.

Xntraxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try this as a condition:
JavaScript:
BattleManager._phase === 'action';
This should be true during the action phase...I think that's when battlers show their motions etc. If you want to invert the condition, you can use !== ("not equal") instead.
I tryed both, In the first case (===) , The condition shows in red like it went wrong, and the picture completly dissappear in whole fight.

In the case of (!===) the image shows all the time from begin to the end of battle.

I need the image to dissappear only when Attacking, Using skill, or using item, to let me show an animation instead... but after that, i need the picture to show again during the command selection.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, I checked the code of Yanfly's Battle Engine Core plugin and it looks like that adds some new phases, actionList and actionTargetList. Maybe try this condition instead:
JavaScript:
!String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action')
This should return false iff the current phase contains the word action. The ! at the start means "not": remove it if you want to invert the condition.

I'm guessing SRD's HUD Maker just shows conditions in red if they're currently false.

Xntraxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I checked the code of Yanfly's Battle Engine Core plugin and it looks like that adds some new phases, actionList and actionTargetList. Maybe try this condition instead:
JavaScript:
!String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action')
Thanks!, it worked fine, i added:

JavaScript:
!String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action');
JavaScript:
!String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('actionList');
JavaScript:
!String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('actionTargetList')

As conditions in the hudmaker, and the picture dissppear when executing actions and return in player's turn. Now i have a new issue: The picture dissapear too when enemies attack (enemy turn) , maybe it recognizes the enemy turn and player turn like a whole phase... Anyway is a great improve!

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oof, yes, actors and enemies follow the same action phases. To differentiate between actor and enemy turns, you can check whether the current subject is an actor:
JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action') && BattleManager._subject.isActor())
I.e. "false if the current phase contains the text action AND the current subject is an actor, otherwise true". Alternatively you could check whether the subject is a specific actor, e.g.
JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action') && BattleManager._subject === $gameParty.members()[0])
"false iff action phase and subject is party member 0 (i.e. the leader)". Hopefully that'll cover all necessary cases! :kaoslp:

Also, there should be no need for three separate conditions: all three of the action phases contain the text action, that's the whole point of using contains here rather than "equals".

Xntraxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oof, yes, actors and enemies follow the same action phases. To differentiate between actor and enemy turns, you can check whether the current subject is an actor:
JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action') && BattleManager._subject.isActor())
I.e. "false if the current phase contains the text action AND the current subject is an actor, otherwise true". Alternatively you could check whether the subject is a specific actor, e.g.
JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action') && BattleManager._subject === $gameParty.members()[0])
"false iff action phase and subject is party member 0 (i.e. the leader)". Hopefully that'll cover all necessary cases! :kaoslp:

Also, there should be no need for three separate conditions: all three of the action phases contain the text action, that's the whole point of using contains here rather than "equals".
Now is completly done, with this new condition i can make the picture Shows during your turn and to disappear when doing actions and return again during the enemy turn.

I also have to make the same condition with a ";" in the case of "actionList" and "actionTargetList" too, because if i only make the condition for "action", the picture make a buggy tilt at the end of the action animation and during the enemy turn, but this has been sloved by putting the condition for the three cases:

JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('action') && BattleManager._subject === $gameParty.members()[0]);

JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('actionList') && BattleManager._subject === $gameParty.members()[0]);

JavaScript:
!(String(BattleManager._phase || '').contains('actionTargetList') && BattleManager._subject === $gameParty.members()[0])

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Only 9 things left on the to-do list before my game's next big update. Minus the soul-crushing playtesting session, of course! So close...
Retired from RPG Maker.
Anyone else who initially created a character to be a villain only to end up liking them so much that you made them a hero? :)
Today i'll start creating monster sounds for my enemies :D I was looking forward to that
//Decides to cut his caffeine to a 3rd of the normal amount...
//Spends all weekend in a daze playing dress-up with dolls in Daz3D
:kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deamsrs