Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I personally prefer making frontview battlers - it's easier and I like it more (personal preference I know lol) but I'm wondering if ppl still even use them.

Every request I see on these forums is for SV battlers so that makes me think there is no use in making my battlers public anyway but here's a post to find out (just in case I'm wrong).

As to the style of battlers you can check out my latest profile updates and here is a small sample (WIP) :

Goblin.pngMerrow.png

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Those are cute! Love your style and the color palette!

Meike

||Telling Stories Through Games||
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great battlers!
Honestly it all depends on the game. I will do frontview and sideview games. I like the original Phantasy Star games and games 2-4 had sprites for the party that you saw from the back and then would have attack animations for the players: Seeing your guy appear at the monster and slash, but it was frontview. I eventually want to imitate that.

I do see the appeal of SV as well, so it all depends on how I want the game to feel.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did not know @Meike before; however, I agree with her statement. Nice to meet you. Whenever effect prefers to impress the player. Frontview Battle system try to make you as the first person. So the weapons fight back and forth between the player and the opponent.

The SV battler system is less indirect to players. The player plays the role of an observer. Sometimes, it is too much like mass effect sorry [Dead Space], the eye scanning. No, thank you for me.

@Finnuval, just pun, I vote for hay is for horses.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not so sure that people don't want frontview sytems. I think part of the problem stems from pre-MV times when devs who were not able/couldn't be bothered to change the defaults had front view. This resulted in FV often being accused of being the lazy option.

tbh, I'd rather have a well thought out FV system than a bog standard default SV system. One of my all time favourite games is Phantasy Star IV which was front view, but you could see the backs of the actors. In RM 3 games with the same perspective (though aesthetically very different from PF4) that come to mind are Skyborn, Deadly Sin I and Deadly Sin 2. Recent games from Indinera/Aldorlea also are FV.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The default frontview gets old after the 10th game, so I'll appreciate some added flavour such as being able to see the actors move and attack, and you don't really need a sideview to accomplish that anyways, just dedication and abit of hard work.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I voted against front-view battle systems, but not because I prefer side view. I actually dislike both, though they can be done well, don't get me wrong. I would actually prefer a front-view if it's like a 3rd person camera angle where you can see your battlers over the default side-view system. If I had the option, I would do a Golden Sun style hybrid front/side view, but that's not very feasible in MV. My game is a tactical RPG so I use a god's eye view. I like your art btw, I'm sure there are people out there that'd appreciate em.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For gaming in general I would rather have side-view in games, because I think it's nice to see my character's faces as well as to see them moving around and "acting" rather than just having animations splash onto enemies. (My favorite view is 3/4 Isometric, which accomplishes this in a really satisfying way that feels a lot less boxy and awkward than sideview!)

However, in modern RPG Maker programs I generally go with front-view, because the dissonance between tiny, animated chibi-based actors and usually-large, static RTP-style monsters feels terrible to me. As much as I like being able to see my party on the battlefield, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I think more people should do the Mystic Quest approach.

Funnily enough, Mystic Quest takes the player-enemy size dissonance and cranks it up to eleven. It's so charming, I adore it!

Dororo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it's good for Atlus can't be wrong for me.

"You can't flee"
"Why not! Look! There's an entire wood in the background!"
"You can't flee"
"Ok, why show me that entire horizontal space?!"
"They did in FinalFantasy to show cute sprites. But if you look well, they were framed in another window. So they weren't exactly there, facing the monsters. How they can face a river fish?!"
"You cheated me!"
"You can't flee anyway..."
"I wanna perspective combat like Breath of F-"
"Don't say that name."
"Breath o-"
"Don't say that name!! The goblin attack you, Critical."
"Whaaa T_T"

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I prefer Sideview, but Frontview is also enjoyable.
Dragon Quest was still always popular in Snes ans PS1 era, even when so many great games with SV battles were released.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great battlers @Finnuval !!

I like FV if the maker can get even a sprite near the bottom of the screen. For me it's where can the maker put some heart into the battles. I certainly can't take away from some of the fantastic action sequences, but there is something about having a camera view of what the character sees too.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very cool battlers @Finnuval

I love front view and use it for my game. One of the reasons I love Shin Megami Tensei games is the front view battle system and the beautiful art.

Phantasy Star 4 also had a front view battle system and I love that game!

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rue669 thanks. Yeah SMT is in a legeau of its own though. Those enemy designs are to die for :)

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They're cute, and at a glance, could work for side view also. That said, yeah. Side view or go home, as I find front view less immersive in most cases.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They're cute, and at a glance, could work for side view also. That said, yeah. Side view or go home, as I find front view less immersive in most cases.
Uhm okay... Ill be heading back home (to the 90's) then... :kaoswt:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uhm okay... Ill be heading back home (to the 90's) then... :kaoswt:
To be fair, it's entirely personal taste. I'm not completely against front view either--when I get around to making the sci-fi RPG I've had kicking around in my head for awhile now, I'll be using front view for the ship battles, as side view would be completely nonsensical: Ship walks forward, swings plasma cannon, then steps back? :D

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Got accepted into the architecture degree. Now I have all the doubting questions. Have to give them an answer in the next few days.
Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!

EDIT: Just an RPG Maker MV gift remaining! XP has been taken.
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*
Hi, I made a game for a competition. I need some players to help play and vote for the best game.

https://ekamu.itch.io/not4ever
don’t forget to rate the game here

Voting is open until 12 August.

Thanks.
Progresses. Tonight: refinemment, column, pitfall, bump and gutter (I'll leave doors for last, they are scary).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guhh