Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On a side note, the 90s was a great decade imo. I wouldn't know about anything before that since I was born in 1990 lol.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On a side note, the 90s was a great decade imo. I wouldn't know about anything before that since I was born in 1990 lol.
True and i was born 11years earlier lol

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was doing sideview but opted for front as it's just going to be much easier on me in the long run since I'm making all the battlers myself. But everything is animated a bit thanks to a program called JuiceFX so at least everything is moving lol.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wouldn't say no one wants frontview. I do! Sideview's too slow for me (and it reminds me of my enemy, MV, LOL. (I'm joking, of course)

Nice battlers, by the way.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't say no one wants frontview. I do! Sideview's too slow for me (and it reminds me of my enemy, MV, LOL. (I'm joking, of course)

Nice battlers, by the way.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sentient alien spacecraft with advanced A. I.? :p
Although there will certainly be stuff like that in it, having it step forward, attack, and step back...just won't work without looking corny AF.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
For me, though I have a slight preference for sideview in general due to the early Final Fantasy games, the issue is more largely connected to not having had an adequate frontview battle system.

What I mean by that is, I HATE not seeing the character sprites - and I also hate not having the characters (and enemies) actually moving up to and using an attack animation on its target. So for example, mystic quest style system I'd love, but usually the scripts/plugins that replicate this are not as polished as the ones I've found for sideview.

Incidentally, the mostly frontview style battlers from Ace are by far my favorite of all the RTP, but I also don't like the small amount of battle space the ace engine gives in comparison to MV - I usually have to end up reducing the size of ace battlers by half.

Last edited:

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some things can really be cool with a front view system that can drive home a narrative through combat. Take one scripted fight, add in a common event, and sprinkle with simply enlarging the built-in-to-MV slash effect animation to the size of the screen. That will grab the players attention! Yes, it can be done with SV, but it loses something in the translation.

@Finnuval got anymore sneak peeks for us :p

Rogue Milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I miss seeing the heroes in action.
Now, if you can pull a Phantasy Star style on your battles, I'm all in!

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I think it depends on the Game. If you are planning to make a Frontal View Battle system, Make sure you make other Mechanics to keep the Player interested, Don't count on just the Battle mechanics.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never liked front view. I like the team vs team look in side view battles. It's more epic, and visually pleasing, being able to see my characters in the action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my first big game since joining the forums! Please check out Petal Knights! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/petal-knights-playable-now.117898/
Back home now :cutesmile:

Many thanks to all my fellow game devs. for all the support during this crazy time.

Feeling a bit rough but much better then bein' hospitalized at least.

Now time to get back to the code :D
Added skill ranges, and very basic implementation of scope, with a rule called "empty tile" that simply returns true if the selected tile is empty (has a battler), and false otherwise

This means movement range and attack ranges are all automatically implemented.

More info: https://himeworks.itch.io/grid-battle-system/devlog/167442/devlog-3-basic-skill-range
Stone masons are hard at work creating beautiful sculptures for your games...
When you realize @Kupotepo is a champion among RM Web users, and it all makes sense now:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr