Frost...punk?

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by Korthulhu, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Korthulhu

Korthulhu Immortan Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, all!
    I'm new to the forums (though I have been playing around with RPG Maker since the early days of XP), so I hope I'm making this resource request correctly!
    Below is my form, as per the rules of this forum...

Resource Type:
    Tilesets (also possibly sprite maker parts and menu icons, TBD)

Maker Format: MV

Art Style: MV Standard

Description: This may be somewhat of a larger request, but I've been working on an idea for a game over the past several years and I think I've finally come to a point where I can realize it with RPG Maker! The only problem is that the story is set in a frozen post-apocalyptic world...and resource-wise, that seems even less common than a desert post-apocalyptic world! Think like the game Frostpunk or the movie Snowpiercer, maybe; icy forests, oceans frozen over, open plains of snowy dunes, small bastions of humanity in well-protected nooks atop the ruins of what may have once been buildings...that sort of thing. Cities have largely been leveled and buried beneath the ice. Electricity and technology still exist albeit in very limited capacity, and most places are both powered and heated by steam. Due to this, anything metal would almost certainly be rusty. Not sure what you'd call the style; it would have a similar aesthetic to steampunk...but worn and icy. So, I guess Frostpunk works?
    These would just be interior and exterior tilesets, nothing for a world map.
    I've been searching the forums for resources similar to what I need, but I haven't found anything yet. I'm also not opposed to using a tileset that already exits, if it could be properly "flocked."
    I've included reference images to evoke the setting as well as possible examples of an existing tileset that could be edited.

Reference Images:
    - Frostpunk game screenshot:
    https://indiefaq.com/uploads/posts/2018-04/1525024143_frostpunk.jpg

- Snowpiercer movie screenshot:
    https://snowpiercer-film.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cropped-SNOWPIERCER-OFFICIAL-MOVIE.jpg

- Existing Steampunk Tileset:
    http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-mv-tileset/steampunk-tiles-mv

- Setting Reference 1:
    https://www.deviantart.com/5ofnovember/art/Postapocalypse-snow-vechicle-497578608

- Setting Reference 2:
    https://www.deviantart.com/5ofnovember/art/Journey-North-495770660

- Setting Reference 3:
    https://www.ubackground.com/_ph/86/2/753648429.jpg

Thats it!
    If anyone is interested - or has any ideas on existing resources I could use - I'd be happy to discuss the details further or answer any questions!
    Regardless I appreciate you taking the time to read all of this, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I recently stumbled across Vexed's POP! Horror series of add-ons, and I thought those could work for what I need if only they were Winter-ized...when, low and behold, I did some digging and found the Member+ pack of his which featured a single screenshot of what appeared to be just that!
    My question now is: Has anyone used this Winter pack, and if so then could you show me some additional screenshots of what all is included? (In a PM please, as making such images publicly available is against the rules.) I have no problem buying it, I just don't want to do so until I know if it is what I need.

Collection:
    http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-mv-tileset/member-plus-collection-vexed

Screenshot:
    http://d289qh4hsbjjw7.cloudfront.net/rpgmaker-20130522223546811/files/left-member-plus-col-vexed.jpg

As a note: This isn't meant to be a bump. I'm posting this here even though it isn't a resource request, both to keep track of developments on my initial request and in case this lead doesn't pan out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As POP! Horror is a paid-for dlc, additional screenshots over and above those shown on the web store page are not permitted. Nor can anyone post edited versions of such dlc.

Korthulhu likes this.
  4. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right, I know no one can post the pictures publicly in this thread...
    But could they not send me pictures in a PM? (I could edit the message to ask for that.) Again, I’m not trying to steal anything. Just want to see more of what’s in that pack so I can tell if it’s what I need before I spend that much money on it. It’s a big investment for something that could turn out to not be right for me.
    Y’know?

5. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Cat Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Korthulhu
    No we cannot. That would be a breach of the EULA

Korthulhu likes this.
  6. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, I see.
    Well, that’s somewhat frustrating. I suppose I’ll have to find some other way of seeing what is included in that tileset. Maybe I can even get ahold of Vexed himself, although he has been away for some time as I understand it.

7. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE: I went ahead and bought all of the POP! tilesets by Vexed Enigma since it seemed like it was going to be difficult to get a good idea of what was in them otherwise and the style just seemed right. I do very much like the tilesets provided, however most of them aren't "frozen" like I need, and the Winter tileset provided only features some city options but nothing from nature.
    I'm thinking I could still use these tilesets, but they will need to be edited to reflect the colder setting. The good news here is that already having tilesets to start with means I don't need entirely custom ones. The bad news is that these tilesets will no doubt require a lot of editing to make them right, and while I'm not opposed to trying that myself...I've never done anything like that before.
    So my request still stands: I need someone to help me edit tilesets.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bump.

9. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

Korthulhu, please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Korthulhu likes this.
  10. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, sorry about that! I had posted a bump earlier in the week, but wanted to keep the bump at the end of the thread so I just edited the original to be the update and added a new one to reflect that I had already bumped it. My bad!

11. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I might be able to help out. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Korthulhu likes this.