Frozen Dream - A NES like game made in 5 days

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Rikifive, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Frozen Dream" is a simple NES-like 8-bit game. Your objective is to 'slide' to your destination point, while avoiding obstacles, collecting bonuses and defeating enemies at the end of the stages.

[​IMG]
    The action takes place on a mountain during Winter Holidays.

Generally, there's no story at the moment. It is a simple NES-like game.
    However, the story may be added in future.

[​IMG]
    > It is a game made only in 5 days! (+ few minutes making an update)
    > Unique gameplay (as for RPG Maker)
    > Tons of custom, silly content
    > Semi-Random Stage Generator - stages are generated randomly, but there are some pre-made parts.
    > Very simple and pointless battle system
    > Simple and user friendly menus
    > Permanent upgrades - each try will be easier than the last one
    > Game in 'Kinda Advanced 8-bit Style'
    > Convenient Autosave - game automatically saves your progress each time you'll enter the map screen

[​IMG]

Spoiler

TITLE SCREEN
    [​IMG]

MAP SCREEN
    [​IMG]

UPGRADE WINDOW
    [​IMG]

GAMEPLAY
    [​IMG]

BATTLE SCREEN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    > Arrow Keys or WSAD - move / navigate through menus
    > Z or SPACE - accept / attack enemy
    > ESC - pause game

[​IMG]
    > Each try will be easier than the previous one, so keep trying, upgrades are kept.
    > In battle, keep pressing both, 'Z' and 'SPACE'. It's easier and more effective.
    > The obstacles are semi-randomly generated- that means, that some items may be stuck in an obstacle. Also if you're really unlucky, you might get two logs near each other in very convenient positions, that may be impossible to dodge. However, I programmed some 'presets', so sometimes placement will be neat and recognizable. (I had no time for programming more, so I added randomness)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RTP Requirement - No
    Filesize - 29,7 MB

[​IMG]

Spoiler

Version 0.1.1
    - The game can be beaten in a first try now
    - Lowered costs of upgrades
    - Lowered damage dealt by enemies
    - Fixed bug, where you couldn't upgrade a stat if the cost was the same as your current amount of stars
    - Added version number to the Title Screen

Version 0.1
    - Initial Release

[​IMG]

Spoiler

PRODUCED BY
    RIKIFIVE

GRAPHICS
    RIKIFIVE

MUSIC
    ERIC SKIFF

SOUND
    RIKIFIVE

BACKGROUND SOUND
    ENTERBRAIN - "WIND"

SCRIPTING
    RIKIFIVE - GAMEPLAY
    MENUS
    SYSTEMS
    CONFIGURATION
    FENIXFYREX - FYXINPUT
    MITHRAN - TEXT CACHE

DEVELOPER TOOLS
    HIME - DATA BACKUP

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    RocketKnight and Nirwanda like this.
  2. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]
    The game has been updated to version 0.1.1!

Fixed a minor bug and lowered the game difficulty.

Changelog:
    - The game can be beaten in a first try now
    - Lowered costs of upgrades
    - Lowered damage dealt by enemies
    - Fixed bug, where you couldn't upgrade a stat if the cost was the same as your current amount of stars
    - Added version number to the Title Screen

3. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very fun game! It's very relaxing (except boss battles :p ), beat it on the first try. Good work!It's nice to see more non traditional stuff. :thumbsup-right:

If I could mention some minor nitpicks: Did you have to use a low health sound? (so exasperating!) At the end game it gets a little hard to distinguish things since everything is tinted blue. (mind you, it's still playable, like I said, it's just a MINOR nitpick)

Rikifive likes this.
  4. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thank you! I'm not hiding, that the battle system isn't very clever, because I had no time to write better, I wanted to put more action to this ~ like if it would be the enemy's turn, then instead of hitting him, you'd have to dodge stuff for a short period of time, then again hit him before his ATB fills up or something like this. (At the moment it's just a button-mashing)

I love making 'something else'. ^^ besides making Tetris next time, I was thinking of making minigame scripts for everybody to use, since I've got tons of ideas, but I'm afraid it is the last 'non traditional' thing I've released. I need to focus on my main project now. =P

I knew - I absolutely knew, that the low health sound will be pointed out someday. (Like similar thing from the another game) =P ~But don't get me wrong, that's good you're being honest ~ I was thinking of adding options to that game, where you could change the volume of that sound and some other thingies, but I was too lazy I guess. I'll consider that in future updates*. ^^

As for the tinting ~ On my monitor, due to high brightness I was able to see stuff perfectly, so that's good you're pointing this out ~ I was thinking it may be a problem for some players, so if that is really inconvenient, then I can change it too.

Thank you for your feedback and I'm really glad you liked it! ^^

* future updates - might be a 'developer joke' - Due to having lots of work here and there, I'm not sure when the update will happen or even if will happen. ^^

Also I wanted to thank to both communities (RMWeb and RMVXAce Community) for all the help I've received while being here. I was asking many stupid questions and the communities were bravely dealing with them. I'm not a professional scripter nor anything like this, but I'm proud of what I've learned and what I've did thanks to the others. (=

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
    Nirwanda likes this.
  5. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unless someone else complains about it, I wouldn't worry, I mean both the sound and the tinting. I have my monitor set pretty dark to begin with.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself man ;)

Rikifive likes this.
  6. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'm sure they will. I can only imagine how annoying that sound on headphones is. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thank you for stopping by and your feedback / kind words! ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

Nirwanda likes this.
  7. Fring Frang

Fring Frang Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, looks like you took the engine and really made it your own. Will try to remember to download this when I get home!

Rikifive likes this.
  8. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Why you don't make it a race game? Your graphic looks so cool.

Rikifive likes this.
  9. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I love customizing as much as possible. =3

Hope you'll like it! :D

A race game you say? Hmmm... Not a bad idea! ~ Perhaps in future? ^^

Why, thank you! (=

10. Fring Frang

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's super impressive. I can't program, so the fact that you barely use the default scripts or plugins is amazing!

Rikifive likes this.
  11. Fring Frang

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just played through the first course, nice game! I wouldn't have guessed it was made with RPG Maker. My forearms are sore from beating the boss! Let me know if you want feedback

Rikifive likes this.
  12. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thank you!

That's what I love to hear! It's not that I hate RM and the default stuff, but I always love to customize everything and make it look more unique.

Glad you liked it! ^^

As for feedback ~ I'll leave it to you, I'm not forcing my players to leave walls of text or something ~ it's a game for players, not a trap to hunt them for feedback. =3

If you want to throw love comments - Go ahead!

If you want to hate the game - Of course you can! Make this thread explode! I know my games aren't perfect. ^^

If you don't want to post anything - No problem! Taking a look is more than enough for me! (=

~ so if you want to say something, then of course you can, but you really don't have to. (=

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  13. Fring Frang

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha the choices you presented are like a text adventure or something. All I can think of is that a sprite of the skier moving sideways when you move left and right might look good. And maybe a button to speed up? I know the levels speed up at a certain point, and it's easier to get stars when going slower, but it would be fun to be able to dart down the hill faster if you so choose. P.S. how do you add my comments to your post like that? I clicked on the Quote button, but I can't figure it out. I'm a forum noob here

Rikifive likes this.
  14. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    That's a good point ~ I was thinking of making the skier more animated, but I didn't had enough time for all of this, because I was doing that game in hurry, for a small contest. ~ I mean you're right - it would look much better.

Now that is something, that I was wondering on during developing. If I'd implement controllable speed, then I think I'd have to implement 'Time' as well, because it would be really easy when moving slowly all the time. Though that's right, that being able to speed up/down would be a nice thing to have.

If you'll click the 'Quote' button located at the bottom-right corner of my post, then it automatically should copy its content to your reply box, where you can add your reply below it. What is exactly happening when you'll click that?

15. Fring Frang

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ohhh OK now I get it. I was clicking the Quote button in my new post. Thanks! And yeah that's what I figured for the speed thing, since there would be no strategic reason to speed up without a time limit. Cool little game though, and doubly impressive it was made in 5 days.

Rikifive likes this.
  16. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ah I might know what quote button you were pressing. ~ glad you got it work! (=

I can work really fast when there's a deadline ~ but I cannot force myself to work, when there isn't. :D (Procrastinating - Max Level)

Thank you for your opinion and feedback! =3

17. Noct

Noct coffee.empty? ? refill_coffee : drink_coffee Veteran

First Language:
    [US] English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey, I tried to download the game to try it out but google drive hit me with;
    Sorry, this file is infected with a virus
    Only the owner is allowed to download infected files.

Rikifive likes this.
  18. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hello there,
    Oh, yes, people were reporting, that most of my games are "infected".
    That's because of RPG Maker files - many antiviruses, including the ones, that Google Drive use don't trust that kind of files. I always had troubles with RM games - it didn't matter if that was somebody's game or my own - those antiviruses were blocking these from time to time. Literally, my antivirus was blocking my freshly compressed games. Now it seems to be 'fixed'.

I've downloaded the infected games - scanned and played them to the end - everything is fine.
    Uploading a fresh copy didn't work - they were 'infected' right at the beginning, it's just how Google sees these files. I even reported that to Google Staff and after weeks I still didn't receive any response from them.

I was googling for help and I've noticed, that I'm not the only one. People are reporting fake alerts and such.

Since Google has troubles, I've created a Dropbox account and moved games there.
    I've updated the download link, so if you're still interested, please give it another try. For your own safety I'd suggest scanning the file, just to be sure.

Thank you for reporting that issue and sorry for inconvenience.

ydoolb and Noct like this.
  19. ydoolb

ydoolb Veteran Veteran

Thank you for this)

Rikifive likes this.