FSM first seed material sample maps

nksx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can the sample maps be used in a commercial game? The wording on the dlc page seems to imply you can, any clarification?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You purchase a product as a single entity - I've never heard of anyone trying to control "You're licensed to use this part of what you bought but not this part."

If there were something so unusual, it would have very obvious labels in the EULA.

Of course, if your question were whether anyone thinks it's a good idea for you to include someone else's demo map in a product you want people to give you money for... :rolleyes:

nksx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Why not though they’re great maps and some of us suck at making maps and need to build off the sample maps or use some of them, plus we did buy the dlc..

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not though they’re great maps and some of us suck at making maps and need to build off the sample maps or use some of them
They are great maps, but you run into a couple of issues when using them:
  • Anyone who owns these tilesets also has these maps, and may have also used them in their own projects, so you'll have map(s) that exist in other projects that the player may have already played/seen.
  • These maps are pretty high quality, and if you yourself aren't good at mapping, the player entering one of these areas is going to see super great looking maps, and then contrast it with whatever garbage you ended up making yourself out of the tiles later, which helps to highlight just how bad your mapping skills are.
I'd look at the sample maps for ideas of how the tiles fit together, but I wouldn't recommend actually using them in a project.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. I think those maps are intended to be showcases of how to use the tiles, because sometimes it's easier to show how to use something in context rather than just the one thing in isolation.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
some use them, but like ramza said, everyone that bought it has it.
if each player use the same map, they think, "where saw I this map before?"

if 30 people release a demo, and all with those deo maps, it looks weird,
even those the story can be different.

use it as an example, not everyone is good at mapping (I am one of them).
just map what you think looks good (I redo my town map over 30x and still
making 1), but it is also good for the learn how to is.

here is what I did to create my ideal town map (still progress but not the best either)

1) play some games other made, that have promising map designs.
2) see how they use tilesets (RTP, bought tilesets, etc, doesn't matter)
3) make a mockup of how the scene should look around
4) make this transparant (20-40% opacity can work)
5) use tiles and draw over this one (if you use parallax), otherwise
use the editor and your mockup as reference.

parallax mockup of screensize will work as well, depends whats work for you.
dont worry if the map sucks or not, I have seen really nice ones and really worse
once, 1 game with worse map design had a nice adventure and great story.

but hey, you can always polish the demo or full release to be perfect when
the game develope further nicely :)

keep some things in mind, if you cannot map good but good at JS, you can make
designs of scenes better, if you suck at JS but great in mapping, they see nice
views to come back for. if you suck in both, well, do your best :)

im not good at either, mapping worse, but I take my time :) so can you.
so dont worry to much how maps looks like, play games from others and
see if it can bring some inspiration (which works for me) so if I see something
really nice, I can take it, so 10 games, 20 maps, 20 pieces, into 1 map :p

not the really best way, but if you do it nicely, why not, it's still unique in some
ways so you can extend it in a twist to make your own thing :p

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All of the above assumes that people actually finish and release their games. A large number of games never get finished.

In answer to your question, yes, the terms say you CAN use the sample maps in your own game, and that includes commercial games. But there are some resources that you can't use, because they were from other creators. Basically, if it's not using stuff in the materials folder, you can't use it. I know this includes some of the characters, but don't remember if there were tiles or other resources.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not though they’re great maps and some of us suck at making maps and need to build off the sample maps or use some of them, plus we did buy the dlc..
You've gotten good answers to this question, which basically boil down to: because it shows a lack of creativity and effort, and because as soon as one person buys your game and recognizes that stock map, your reviews will be tanked as "just another schmoe using pre-made RPG Maker stuff."

The same is true for the sample maps that come with RPG Maker - look at them, see how they were designed, use them for learning or inspiration, but it's a good idea to not use them in your game - especially since you're asking about commercial purposes (frankly, the fact that you're thinking of selling your games and you want to use someone else's demo is a little scary).

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All of the above assumes that people actually finish and release their games. A large number of games never get finished.
Ouch! XD

But yeah you can, except for what Shaz mentioned, tho using them as inspiration instead might be better as mentioned by others.

One thing ook often have Trouble with when making maps is scale...
I tend to look at 1 square as approx 3 feet wide and build from there to keep s better sense of scale.

also An old artsy trick used for drawings but also works for maps is to look at Them upside down - anything that proportionally is really off Will be easier to spot that way.

hope that helps xD

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are great maps, but you run into a couple of issues when using them:
  • Anyone who owns these tilesets also has these maps, and may have also used them in their own projects, so you'll have map(s) that exist in other projects that the player may have already played/seen.
I keep getting told by various folks that the overlap between people that make RM games and people that buy/play RM games is close to zero (all the people who've told me to not bother advertising my games here, for starters).

My old project used some of these maps a baseline. I wound up editing most of them to the point of near unrecognizability to suit the specific needs of the game, but still. And there are situations where you don't want "the perfect maps", you want maps that are available now(such as game jams which increasingly allow pre-made assets as long as you legally own them and which often involve making a game over a week or less) sometimes, for instance, if the maps are the least important or one of the least important things in your project.

Basically, I endorse using the sample maps as long as they're not supposed to be a substantial part of why people are going to buy and/or look at your game, because yes, that would be stupid. But if you have a killer story and/or great music and/or an awesome battle system and/or a tight central gameplay loop, my interest in your game is not diminished at all if I recognize the sample maps. (I've used RMMV sample maps in projects too although again, I usually wind up editing them to the point of unrecognizability w/o really meaning to.)

As an example, all of these screenshots show maps that started out as (and if fully and properly lit w/o lighting fx would still show recognizable signs of) the RMMV/FSM sample maps:
2020_2_23_14_30_21_239_4799.png

Dialogue - Made Of Fire 1.png

Spoiler.png
2020_1_5_20_32_14_735_296.png
I highly doubt that anyone's first thought on seeing any of these would be "look at this worthless sample map trash coming from this lazy non-mapping scum". Because each of these screens(IMHO) has one or more things going on in the screen that is more attention grabbing than the mapping.

You've gotten good answers to this question, which basically boil down to: because it shows a lack of creativity and effort, and because as soon as one person buys your game and recognizes that stock map, your reviews will be tanked as "just another schmoe using pre-made RPG Maker stuff."
You do know that close to 100% of the people that are going to say this are going to say the same if you painstakingly handcrafted awesome maps using the RTP and/or commonly available tile assets, right?

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep getting told by various folks that the overlap between people that make RM games and people that buy/play RM games is close to zero (all the people who've told me to not bother advertising my games here, for starters).
True, but many of the people who are going to buy an RPG Maker game will have played/bought others. Thus, the badly made games that use stock maps are recognizable to them.
You do know that close to 100% of the people that are going to say this are going to say the same if you painstakingly handcrafted awesome maps using the RTP and/or commonly available tile assets, right?
No, I don't. I know I've seen RPG Maker games that were well-designed and had positive reviews, where I could recognize the RTP map graphics. What's your dataset for that approximation?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
True story, but I once almost reported a commercial game for stealing maps from another game, until I realized they were both using sample maps. And the only reason I realized this was because I figured no one would steal such a terrible map. :guffaw:

Anyway, I'm also firmly in the "Don't use sample maps for your commercial game" camp.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm gonna echo your general sentiment. I have 8 commercial games, and while I know for sure some of my fans are aware of/use RPGMaker, the vast majority aren't, and as such aren't aware of sample maps. I don't particularly care whether my games appeal to RPGMaker users regardless because they're not my target audience.

I use sample maps for inspiration in one shape or another. I do sometimes use sample maps directly, but when I do, by the time I'm done editing it it's impossible to tell it's a sample map unless someone were to go really far out of their way to compare it.

As for the FSM sample maps, I'm 99% sure no one outside of the RPGMaker community is going to recognize those maps--that said, I still wouldn't recommend using them, but feel free to use them as inspiration and to give you an idea of how to build a nice-looking map with those tiles.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Work on Cat Quest: The Last Catmancer continues slowly but surely. :kaopride: Today I received the Game Over screen from @Finnuval!
GameOver.png
Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnarchyJas