Full Screen and Parallax Maps

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Yoraee, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

I'm trying to figure out how going full screen affects the quality of parallax maps. Right now I am using a parallax map that is 1162 x 576. My game resolution is 1024 x 576.

When in window mode all looks well and good, but when in full screen, everything is very blurry as shown below (most noticeable on the brown part of the wall and one the door tag)

capture.png

Are there any "rules" that need to  be followed with respect to map size vs screen size when viewing the game on full screen and using parallax maps?

Note: I have tried the KSU_Parallax Smoothing plugin, but it did not provide any noticeable change. 

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

Bumping this as I am still trying to figure this out and would appreciate some insight.

3. waynee95

waynee95 Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to know this as well, if you can do something to prevent the blur effect when you use fullscreen. But this happens with normal maps as well, so I think it's just normal when you have a lower resolution and then it gets scaled by using full screen mode. 

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    waynee95 summed it up best. What is going on is when you go to full screen, the image has to be stretched to show in the full screen (as the screen resolution is > the game resolution). The only real solution is to make a different map for each and every screen resolution out there, otherwise, some resolutions are just going to have blur due to how image stretching techniques work. That is also why most AAA+ games have a list of resolutions to pick from, as they did the art for those numbers, or know it can upscale (or downscale) nicely due to way the numbers work. 

You can easily see this for yourself by trying to run an old 320 x 240 dos game in full screen via dosbox. Unless your screen resolution just happens to be an integer multiple of the original (or half integer, as 1.5x and 2.5x tend to work pretty well too), blur will (usually) be introduced.

Yoraee likes this.
  5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    In my experience, 2D graphics only scale well when the scale multiplier is a multiple of 0.25 (x.25,x.5,x.75,x) and they get blurry when they're to be scaled by multipliers outside of those values... but since the screen of your players is outside of your control, the best you can do is to suggest an "optimum" screen size..

that or as bg said, make a different art set for different resolutions... though it's quite a lot of work and will bloat your game's filesize

Yoraee likes this.
  6. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

Thank you for the responses.