Fullscreen & High Resolution

Gab!

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Hi!

As I explained on this topic (relevant posts to this discussion selected on spoiler), I wrote a script that bypasses the maximum resolution of VX Ace.

Archeia suggested me to post on new topic, so I'm doing this.

If possible, I would like if you try the script and give me some feedback about performance and/or crashes.

Thanks!

Hi!

I wrote an script that have the same function of your DLL modification. 

Based on the anonymous scripter's snippet found here, I mapped some of the memory addrs of the RGSS300.dll & RGSS301.dll and modified them to increase the resolution limit.

From this I wrote an new Plane class which I think it's faster than other rewrites since it uses less blits. Putting it together with Esrever's map viewport/scroll fixes, works very fine!

The last issue I think it has is transitions with images, that I had to remove in favor of fadein/out.

Here's the script and an screenshot of the result:

Pastebin Script:

http://pastebin.com/q4Hr6FsW

Screenshot:

That script isn't working for me.

It crashes the game immediately at start-up (Error 103).

And that FPS counter you made, it does not show me the real FPS.

It shows me approx 5 times more FPS than my real FPS is.

But this can be due to me just cutting that part out from your script and using it separately, no idea.

I don't see any connection with the FPS counter and the rest of the script thou.

I tried it out as well and it is pretty bad performance wise and the FPS is very inaccurate. RM says 60 but it plays as 15 fps as such examples.
I didn't say it before, but it's beta version.

I think it has some hardware issues. On the PC that I developed and tested I have:

Intel I7 (first generation)

16GB RAM

2GB AMD Video

---

FPS counter helps you to measure it on Fullscreen mode, Sixth, since you can't see the window's title.

Try using Graphics.fullscreen // Uncommenting line 666 and commenting line 667.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow, such an advanced script. Let me try this out

Edit :

Found an issue

I use this in my battle system script where I changed the battlebacks into Plane

I have no problem with the default Plane class before.

Gab!

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Updated it on Pastebin. Can you copy new version and try again?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Worked ...

The only issue I have is when I zoom the Plane is it suddenly ate up my memory and it almost 1GB somehow. Yes, I do have Battle Camera where I need to zoom the Plane bigger. I use 1024 x 600 screen resolution and it took 150mb of memory.

Another note

I used this FPS display 

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3738-fps-display-isnt-very-accurate/?p=40350

It shown that the actual FPS was around 41 ~ 49 while yours was around 58 ~ 60

Not sure which one is accurate. But I trust the FPS display I linked above

EDIT :
Even in 544 x 416 screen resolution, it generates lag when I zoomed the Plane object

EDIT 2 :

I set the Graphics::planeSpeedUp to false and it solved the problem somehow :)

Gab!

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I tested Zeus81's FPS counter and, yes, it's *much* more accurate. Updated script on pastebin.

I think it has architecture issues, since most of people who tested didn't noticed any slowdown, even with not-too-good computers. As you can see, using my Plane rewrite (Graphics::planeSpeedUp = true) + 1632x832 resolution + lot's of processes using system resources, FPS measured by both Zeus81's and default's method stay 60:

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This thing had a lot of process. 

Especially, when I zoom the camera, it suddenly ate up my memory. It doesn't happen in regular Plane object

Anyway, I can not really blame you. It could be my script architecture fault

Gab!

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I mean processor architecture. What's yours?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is mine

Kaelan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Spent a while trying to figure out why this script would made my overlays disappear. Figured it out eventually, so I'm leaving this here for anyone that runs into this in the future: If you use any scripts that use the Plane class in their class definition (i.e. Victor's Fogs & Overlays script, which creates a Sprite_Fog < Plane), make sure you include this script before them. Otherwise un-defining the Plane class will cause other class definitions that depend on it to not work properly.

SpacemanFive

Meteor Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well holy crud, you did it. You broke the resolution limits.

Would this script be legal to use in a commercial game? (Since I'm not sure when it comes to the "hard set" stuff in RPG Maker like the resolution.)

EDIT: I'm testing this with a (relatively) new project file, and I'm getting an error on line 678. It gives it as a NameError: undefined local variable or method '__END__' for main:object

Gab!

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Here is mine

What about operational system's?

Spent a while trying to figure out why this script would made my overlays disappear. Figured it out eventually, so I'm leaving this here for anyone that runs into this in the future: If you use any scripts that use the Plane class in their class definition (i.e. Victor's Fogs & Overlays script, which creates a Sprite_Fog < Plane), make sure you include this script before them. Otherwise un-defining the Plane class will cause other class definitions that depend on it to not work properly.
Since I fully rewrite Plane Class, I think that I can remove the line which removes old class. Then it would be compatible with your project in any position.

Well holy crud, you did it. You broke the resolution limits.

Would this script be legal to use in a commercial game? (Since I'm not sure when it comes to the "hard set" stuff in RPG Maker like the resolution.)

EDIT: I'm testing this with a (relatively) new project file, and I'm getting an error on line 678. It gives it as a NameError: undefined local variable or method '__END__' for main:object
I can't affirm that it's legal or not because I don't know all legal implications of commercial games. But, I think that you can't modify the DLL file without permission. This script make similar process, but just in time, updating memory allocated by DLL. I've read some discussions here (couldn't find link) that says its allowed by the terms.

About the error, you can remove line 678 and all lines after it. They were test routines. I didn't removed before because it's still under development.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Window 7 - 64 Bit

SpacemanFive

Meteor Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can't affirm that it's legal or not because I don't know all legal implications of commercial games. But, I think that you can't modify the DLL file without permission. This script make similar process, but just in time, updating memory allocated by DLL. I've read some discussions here (couldn't find link) that says its allowed by the terms.

About the error, you can remove line 678 and all lines after it. They were test routines. I didn't removed before because it's still under development.
Yeah. I'd heard a bit about actually modifying the DLL file directly. Glad to know that since this appears to bypass direct modification, it seems to be okay when it comes to that.

Ah, okay. I think I see what's going on with that error. I'll try removing that section and see how it works. I'll let you know with the results.

Kaelan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
This script is essentially just a different implementation of this, which has already been approved as legal.

Since I fully rewrite Plane Class, I think that I can remove the line which removes old class. Then it would be compatible with your project in any position.
I tried just removing the undef line while I was testing and didn't notice any issues, so it should be fine. I tried to find a way to work with it anyway in case there was some part of your logic that was relying on that line existing - if you don't need it anymore, you should definitely get rid of it. You can probably also get rid of the Graphics::planeSpeedUp  flag, since there's no reason to ever turn it off.

SpacemanFive

Meteor Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I got back to the script and tested it again recently, with the testing section on lines 678+ removed. It works pretty well.

It's VERY much a relief to no longer be restricted to games having such a tiny resolution maximum. Thank you!

However, I tried testing it with Raizen's Lune Ultimate Anti-Lag script. It glitches, causing the player character to visually slide while moving, until the screen is reset by something like opening and closing the menu.

Since I think that's an issue on the end of Raizen's script, I'll let them know about it.

Mysthe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Hi!

As I explained on this topic (relevant posts to this discussion selected on spoiler), I wrote a script that bypasses the maximum resolution of VX Ace.

Archeia suggested me to post on new topic, so I'm doing this.

If possible, I would like if you try the script and give me some feedback about performance and/or crashes.

Thanks!

Hidden Content
Links broken :c
Can uploud again? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRMA