Status
Not open for further replies.

sitebender

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been using RPG Maker since maybe RPG Maker 95. The maker itself is pretty much the same with things added to game mechanics. But using it as extensively as I do, it feels very cumbersome to use, so I'd like to suggest some things.

Database search: You have find functions in the scripts, but not in the database itself. If I'm selecting a skill for an enemy to use, I have 600 skills. How will I find it? I sure can't type it in nor can I even find it with the first letter since everything is number coded. When I set actor skills, nothing is number coded. Where's the consistency there? Heck even being able to use the first (and second) letter to quickly find things would be so much easier.

Quick edit an entry: If I am editing an enemy skills, and stats, what about a quick jump to the skill I am opening instead of having to click skills, then find the skill or find the state.

Sort order entries: What about a sort order by alphabetic? You still have the IDs in the database, why not sort them? The IDs wouldn't change, but sorting them so a human can find things would be nice. In game there are ways to alphabetize things with scripts, but not in the actual maker itself.

Filters: Yep what about filters? If I want a skill that regenerates MP, I don't want to look through all 600 skills to find which 3 regenerate MP. Or how about finding enemies with over 1,000 HP?

Find in common events (or dialog): Some of my common events are excessively long. Dialog trees and such. How about a find feature to find things or even a jump to line feature?

Why haven't these things been implemented in almost 20 years of RPG maker?

Square and elliptical makers for battle regions: So I don't have to individually paint in areas. Heck why not even a fill function that will fill tilesetA that isn't water or lava? This can be done!

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I agree. I'm pretty new to RPGM, and started with Ace, so I thought the difficulties I had were just my noobiness.

I would love to be able search and sort skills, states, enemies, etc. I actually spent three or four days just rearranging skills so all the sword skills were separate from the fire spells, etc, and then doing the same for all the weapons, armors and so on.

Of course it fell apart when I made some new stuff.

And to create large blocks of field id's? That would be great. I'm honestly surprised you can't.

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As long as we're wishing here, I'd like to be able to open a particular project instantly. As it stands, every project file is named "game", so the program simply opens up the last file that was edited.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Those are some nice suggestions and features. However, none of them have personally bothered me over the years.

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of the "extra layer" when editing maps. I liked having 1 layer for the actual map, and the other layer for things like trees, bushes, etc. 

It's setup so you can add them, but not so you can erase them all or move them. (At least, this is without scripts that allow 2 maps to be "layered.")

I wouldn't mind having a search feature in the database.

sitebender

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I posted these requests on the Steam forum and the dev said they can't update it, they just handle bug fixes. So I might need to post this in the Japanese forum to the Japanese devs.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I posted these requests on the Steam forum and the dev said they can't update it, they just handle bug fixes. So I might need to post this in the Japanese forum to the Japanese devs.
I'm sure there has to be some sort of cross-cultural liaison that reads and manages these types of things. At least, I'd hope so... I'm not sure how it go on the English market without such an entity.

If someone manages to ever get the programmer's attention or finds a way for the program to be updated to allow for this, it would be great. 

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@icesage: yeah, or a layer which let's you manage lighting or weather effects. That would be cool.

sitebender

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm sure there has to be some sort of cross-cultural liaison that reads and manages these types of things. At least, I'd hope so... I'm not sure how it go on the English market without such an entity.

If someone manages to ever get the programmer's attention or finds a way for the program to be updated to allow for this, it would be great. 
It worries me why it wasn't done a decade ago.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm not sure why you would be worried why it wasn't done a decade ago.

The devs simply chose not to do it for any number of reasons. Maybe they never thought of it, or didn't think it was important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The ability to use RMXP mapping, tileset sizes, and other such now truncated things if we so wish to. I've switched to VX Ace now but still long for RMXP's mapping and other systems.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I guess they just wanted to keep the program as simple as possible, since the games made with it would end up being fairly big.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately compared to XP, mapping with VX Ace is anything but simple. Being able to simply switch between layer 1 and 2 would help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Where would you go if you're looking to hire someone on here? I'm in need of a writer to take my story concept and turn it into npcs/dialog in my game.
Evening humans! How goes the game make?
The anime characters we saw 20 years ago,
still have the same age when we see them now.
Somehow it's strange but also beautiful.
It's like no matter how much we change,
there's certain part of ourselves we can reconnect to when we see them again.
Took a long, long time, way longer than it should to be honest...but I've finally finished the big content update to my demo!
Lots of not good things happening IRL but I'm not gonna let this day end like this. Quote time:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

So, keep going, lads. Whatever you do keep going. Until next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpaerct