Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fyrebrand (Version 5.7)

SYNOPSIS
  • Fyrebrand is a short and sweet RPG about exploring a mysterious cave and fighting interesting enemies! A big focus on atmospheric background music.

There is also a small village nearby. Come and meet the locals! If you really like to check everything for flavor-text and hidden humor, this game is for you!

This is version 3 of the game. I am happy to accept any feedback from players like you! If enough changes get requested, I'll make a version 4.

SCREENSHOTS

CHARACTERS
  • The main characters are friendly and thoughtful with a sense of humor.
    The village residents are (usually) friendly as well but not all are super-extroverted.

STORYLINE/PLOT
  • The game is designed to be beaten in 2 hours or less with a focus on simple turn-based combat and background music. Therefor, the story is quite simple. Delve into a cave, fight mobs and bosses. You can interact with the villagers and the flavor-text in their homes tells a simple story. Just a game to have some casual fun so not a super-deep story.

SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
  • Very simple lore. A standard RPG fantasy world of magic and not really any technology. Just swords, shields, armor, etc...
    A bit of fun for those who don't want to need to learn a deep lore right now.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Last edited:

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The map design in this is pretty impressive and I do like the music. I thought this was a fun little dungeon crawler. My one suggestion would be that some of the objects in the cave aren't obvious what is passable and what isn't and could sometimes be a little tedious to navigate so perhaps make more tiles/objects passable or use different tiles/objects in their place or some combination of both.

I also have to praise you immensely for including multiple ports, although unfortunately the Linux version crashed after I got past the title screen, so I had to boot into Windows anyway. Not sure why. Did not test the Mac version but I can test it on my Macbook sometime if you would find that useful. Either way, if all your ports do work, I and a few others (who may not be vocal) would appreciate it immensely especially since I don't use Windows as my main OS anymore and it always makes me happy to see multi platform games.

Jami_DC

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much, ChampX! I really appreciate the feedback.

I often play using the Mouse and I did use a plugin that improves the auto-pathing. If you simply hold left click 'anywhere' the character will go there (or close to it, if you click outside the map of course that won't work lol). I suppose I could make things easier for Keyboard and Controller!

I really wish RMMV had more options when deploying in Linux and Mac. You literally just hit deploy, choose one and bam, done. No settings, no nothing. I am not sure if I can edit the deployed folder somehow to make it better.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Jami_DC The Mac version opened and played fine when normally if you just export from Windows itself to Mac, it wouldn't work. I am assuming you did all your deploys from Windows so it's interesting (and a blessing) the Mac port works! I tried your Linux build on a different Linux distro, same deal. I then tried to see if exporting from Windows was the issue and exported my own game (with encryption to be sure) and that worked fine so I'm wondering if maybe it just happened to spit out a bad build by chance for Linux? I would say try a Linux build again. Are you able to test your multi platform builds outside of Windows once exported or are you only just able to hit deploy and pray they work?

Jami_DC

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just released Version 5 of the game so hopefully the Linux version works this time. I did ask some Linux users to test it (I do so for basically every update) as well as Mac users. I do actually have the option to test Mac myself but never used Linux in my life... I kinda have to hit deploy and hope it works.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Unfortunately same thing with this one on Linux. You said other Linux users tried it and it worked? Then perhaps the issue is on my end somewhere.

I did run it while attached to a Linux terminal to see if I could catch the error and it did spit this out. I'm not sure how useful this is to you though.
Code:
#
# Fatal error in , line 0
# Failed to create ICU number format, are ICU data files missing?
#

==== C stack trace ===============================

1: ??
 2: v8::internal::NumberFormat::InitializeNumberFormat(v8::internal::Isolate*, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::String>, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::JSObject>, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::JSObject>)
 3: v8::internal::Runtime_CreateNumberFormat(int, v8::internal::Object**, v8::internal::Isolate*)
 4: ??

I am a programmer by trade, but unfortunately JS and node are not my strong suits. I did look into what plugins you were using thinking maybe there was a dependency somewhere on using specific number formats, but nothing in there looked like it would be a culprit. I may look into this further just so at the very least if I release a Linux port of my game I don't possibly have users running into the same issue. Again, if other Linux testers are reporting it works fine, then it is probably something on my end.

Jami_DC

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I do apologise... I just found out there is a Linux guide! Officially, the Windows and Mac versions are meant to simply open with a double-click of the Game.exe or Game.app file (Linux as well, but only after the below steps are followed).

LINUX GUIDE

To start playing used a deployed game, follow the steps below to change the permissions of the “Game” file.

1. Switch Users
Run the following command to switch to the root user.
su

2. Open the game folder
Run the following command to open the game folder.
cd (game folder path)

3. Change the permissions for the “Game” file
Run the following command to change the permissions of the “Game” file in the game folder.
chmod +x Game

4. Start the game
Run the following command to start the game.
./Game

The steps above are only required the first time. From then on, double click the “Game” file to start the game.

Last edited:

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
These are good steps to have anyway and Linux users should follow this for sure.

That said I looked into this some more, this bug seems to be much deeper than that and actually looks to be at the nwjs level, which there isn't much you as the developer can really do. I presume your game was exported using MV 1.6.1 or MV 1.6.2 which with some tinkering I learned both of those versions of MV in of itself don't work on Linux by default without some major tweaking. There are a few Google posts related to this. I have been using 1.5.2 this entire time for my project because the 1.6 versions didn't play nicely with a couple of the plugins I have, so I guess I have another reason to not upgrade. Kadokawa would have to patch these versions of MV to use a newer version of nwjs, but given that MZ launches later this month, it isn't gonna happen. I even actually tried exporting an empty project from Linux MV 1.6.2, no go.

The only solution you can do at this point is downgrade MV to 1.5.2 then re export for Linux. The game will definitely work then across all Linux platforms that are 64 bit, however this may not be ideal as you could have plugins which require 1.6.x to function properly or you don't want to hinder Windows and Mac players to an older version just to support a small Linux player base. It is unfortunate, but these are the choices sometimes we devs have to make. If you aren't sure, it is probably just best to leave MV at 1.6.x.

If you ever release to Steam one day however, a good piece of news is many Linux users can run the Windows version under Steam Proton without issue and has been a common answer for Linux users to handle running a good chunk of the AAA games normally only built for Windows.

Either way, I did enjoy my experience even while playing on Windows so I thank you again for that!

Jami_DC

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, thank you so much for the information! Glad it worked on Windows, at least.

So MV 1.5.2 works for Linux. I am happy to have both versions but not yet sure how to downgrade or actually 'how' to have both versions. I may need to wait for another 80% off sale and buy MV again on a secondary Steam account or something.

Jami_DC

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh! I found a Linux user who educated me on how to get it to work. I had to add a start.sh file to the Fyrebrand folder and change the instructions to...

LINUX GUIDE

To start playing a game, follow the steps below:

1. Open the game folder, Run the following command to open the game folder. 'cd <game folder path>'

2. Change the permissions for the “start.sh” file Run the following command to
change the permissions of the “start.sh” file in the game folder. 'chmod +x
./start.sh'

3. To launch the game run './start.sh' or double-click 'start.sh' file in file
manager.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah running the start.sh file actually managed to show even more the nwjs issue with 1.6.x in its output with its fontconfig. This reddit thread has posted a fix that you could also have some users try, I may try it later but I may also just leave it as is at this point. It is the same issue I am having though.

As for downgrading to 1.5.2, good news for you is your product key from the RPG Maker store doubles as a Steam key. Just enter it through Steam and you will have MV. You can manage versions in Steam by right clicking on an app in Steam and going to properties, then under the beta tab you can change versions. You can switch between any version of MV rather easily this way (just be sure MV isn't running when you do this). So while the above is a solution you can give your Linux players if needed, the 1.5.2 solution will mitigate any need to do all that.

Jami_DC

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got MV from Steam directly so no second copy for me. That is odd that the issue was not resolved for you. I have a Linux user who gave me the steps and the game works fine for them. They did mention these dependencies, though...

libasound2
libatk1.0-0
libatk-bridge2.0-0
libatspi2.0-0
libavahi-client3
libavahi-common3
libblkid1
libbrotli1
libbsd0
libc6
libcairo2
libcairo-gobject2
libcom-err2
libcups2
libdatrie1
libdbus-1-3
libelogind0
libepoxy0
libexpat1
libffi7
libfontconfig1
libfreetype6
libfribidi0
libgcc-s1
libgcrypt20
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-dev
libgmp10
libgnutls30
libgpg-error0
libgraphite2-3
libgssapi-krb5-2
libgtk-3-0
libharfbuzz0b
libhogweed6
libidn2-0
libk5crypto3
libkeyutils1
libkrb5-3
libkrb5support0
liblz4-1
liblzma5
libmount1
libnettle8
libnspr4
libnss3
libp11-kit0
libpango-1.0-0
libpangocairo-1.0-0
libpangoft2-1.0-0
libpcre2-8-0
libpcre3
libpixman-1-0
libpng16-16
libselinux1
libsystemd0
libtasn1-6
libthai0
libunistring2
libuuid1
libwayland-client0
libwayland-cursor0
libwayland-egl1
libx11-6
libx11-xcb1
libxau6
libxau6-dbg
libxcb1
libxcb-render0
libxcb-shm0
libxcomposite1
libxcursor1
libxdamage1
libxdmcp6
libxext6
libxext6-dbg
libxfixes3
libxi6
libxinerama1
libxkbcommon0
libxrandr2
libxrender1
libxss1
libxtst6
zlib1g

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Part of me is really missin' the good 'ol days of RM '95... goodness just seems like such simpler times
Just got two Switch E-Shop 20$ gift cards... Is 3D All-Stars worth it? Or should I get something like Celeste? I'd love to know your opinion!
I’m looking at the MZ full body images and I think Priscilla is taller than Reid...
Ami
--- Music Selection ---

M.Archer: It's Music Station,You can Change the Music as you like.
F.Healer: i want to hear the Romantic Music.
M.Fighter: Then,i want the Hard-Rock one!
(the Troll Song has played)
M.Archer: Hey,i hear this Music.
F.Healer: It's popular from Internet Music,i wonder who change it?
Hero: I change it.
Entire Party: YOU????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galm