Gabrelik's Let's Play!

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Gabrelik, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everybody!

Last year was my first IGMC, and I had such a blast with it. I had the opportunity to meet and work with some amazing people, but most importantly, I got to play some extremely creative and wonderful games. My favorite part, however, was that really surreal feeling of watching someone play through our project in real time. I'm looking forward to that again with Fading Remnants, as the Let's Plays of Dear Edwin were some of the best moments of my time doing dev work, and I couldn't think of a better way to give back this year than to do Let's Plays, myself. In that spirit, I am starting this thread to showcase the projects that I get to play through this time around, and maybe have a little fun along the way.

Please bear in mind that I've never done anything like this before, and it'll likely be a bit of a cluster until I get the hang of the tech involved and the process.

I guess I'll kick this thing off with the project allocated to me in the Secret Santa Thread. The project is called, "Out School", by @kenjivn14 :

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Kato-A

Kato-A Artist and developer Veteran

Somewhere in your heart because you love me
    First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  3. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Kato-A likes this.
  4. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My latest Let's Play of Kyuukon's entry, "Sagrada". His entry of Yomotsu actually won the judges choice last year, and it looks like he's back at it. Definitely enjoyed this title, and I recommend it to anyone up for an oldschool feel. Check it out, and feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you'd like to see next!

Kyuukon likes this.
  5. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm enjoying your LP's a lot, Gabrelik.

For a first-time LP'er you are really doing a great job. I watched Out School and Sagrada so far, and particularly in the case of the latter, the hours flew by watching you play! That's something I can't say about most LPer's that I've watched in the past, and I like the tenor of your narration as well as the little extras you point out.

Don't be afraid to take a couple minutes every once in a while to go off the script and make it your own - especially where the current action of the game isn't compelling enough to hold a viewer's interest on its own. A game like Sagrada doesn't necessarily need this because it was constantly changing up the action, but no doubt you'll play some IGMC entries that will need you to make them into something more to be watchable.

Kyuukon likes this.
  6. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I second that. Your narration is so soothing lol xD (no homo)

7. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you both! It's definitely something I'm having fun with, and yes, I think as I get more comfortable, I'll certainly be able to "wing it" a bit more. Glad to hear people are enjoying them, though. I'll be completing @Tuomo L 's, "Judged for Crime" next, and then @Kato-A 's, "Umbral" after that. Looking forward to both! :D

Tuomo L, Wavelength and Kyuukon like this.
  8. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Isabella Ava likes this.
  9. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks from playing! I replied to you on Itch.Io but will copy paste it here too

"Thanks for reporting the bug, you're sadly the first person to catch this so it totally went by unnoticed. If you try out the game again, you can actually do everything that you did, as long as the timer is above 30 minutes you can get beat up by Rosalind like here to get past it but getting beat up reduces your timer by 5 minutes anyway. Getting beat up by Rosalind is not required for beating the game."

10. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tuomo L , I'll definitely give it another shot!

@Kato-A , here is the completed Let's Play of your game, "Umbral". Really enjoyed this one:

Tuomo L and Kato-A like this.
  11. Wavelength

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh, cool! You've got a green-screen of yourself in the video now. Very nice.

Funny note - looking at the screenshot preview before watching the video, I assumed that the picture of you was the Engineer, telling pink-haired character to connect herself to the computer. :D Big stylistic difference in graphics that would be, of course, but you can't ever put anything past people given the 30-day IGMC deadline.

What a shame about the crashing bug in Judged for Crime; it was definitely off to a good start.

Umbral was very cool. It has a lot of the same dynamics as Portal in an RPG Maker form, and I was very impressed by the level design and the way the your time-stop powers interacted with the design in ways that weren't just gimmicks. (BTW, for the color visualization test, you had to hit them in the same order as they were shown in the Note on the floor.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    M.I.A. and Gabrelik like this.
  12. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wavelength , excellent catch! I didn't realize the connection. As I said, people far brighter than I would have figured that out. ;)

Really enjoying these so far, and I've still got a hefty list to get through before the judging period ends.

13. Wavelength

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's less about "brighter" and more about you never know what any individual person will catch or miss. For example, I was yelling at you (or at least the "you" on my screen) that you were using a completely wrong approach to the block-pushing puzzle, and I continued yelling at virtual-you until you pushed aside the cabinet, proving my objections about your approach utterly baseless (and proving me to be brighter than absolutely no one). :)

Gabrelik likes this.
  14. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  15. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  16. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry for the absence lately. I was a bit sick and the cough kept me from recording. Still hanging on a bit, but we're getting there. I'll try to get to the requests soon. Here is Chronicles of Espiria:

Wavelength likes this.
  17. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, everybody! Two new additions to the LP list. I think I'm going to start getting into the top ten of the IGMC, and then, who knows? I'll be up for some requests, if anyone has them? Really having a good time making these:

Fear

Magical Disaster

18. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Been quite awhile, but hoping to get back to these soon. Here is the latest from Kiki Game Studio. Dragon's Hope:

19. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here is a request from Dutch Power Creations, "The Lost":

Dutch Power Creations and atoms like this.
  20. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, everybody! It's been awhile since I've really been on here, but I'll be making my dev return tot he community in the very near future. In the meantime, I started messing around with Let's Plays again, and decided to start a series on a game I've been wanting to check out for quite some time, "Hollow Knight", by Team Cherry. Looking forward to getting back into things. :)