xabileug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
I'm making a card game, and I'd like to hear ideas on Gacha systems..
Point 1 : Pull type - Singles or Batch 10 ?
Existing Gacha systems have option pull x1 and pull x10.. Pity systems guranteed legend rare on 100th pull.. But these are for monetizing purposes..

Point 2 : independent rate for each draw or a guaranteed rare on last card?
The game i'm designing is just for fun. I think i dont need the pity system, or the x10 pull.. This game is actually a card game.. So i prefer booster packs.. But when I check mobile card games - YuGi Oh, Zenonzard, Vanguard, Chaos Academy.. They have booster packs that contain some number of cards. Some with independent rates for each card, while some have a guaranteed 4 star or better on the last card..

Point 3 : How should rates be designed?
Normally, when we say a card with 80% pull rate, we just make a random number and check if its value is from 1 to 80. But, this is incorrect, because doing this nullify the chance that the number if from 20 to 100. So i found the correct way is actually adding these values correctly in the array, and randomly picking the type..
To pull a legend with 0.001% means that there's just one of that card in a pool of 1000 cards.

Point 4 : How many cards in a booster pack?
My game only has a total of 140 cards at the moment, should my packs contain 3, 4, 8 cards?

Point 5 : Other ways to obtain cards?
I already have the gacha system as primary source of cards. You battle and get some money to purchase packs. But im thinking of crafting cards, and combining them. Craft means to break existing excess cards into some currency and purchase desired cards.. Combining them is having a base 1 and base 2 card consumed to produce a new card.. certain formulas give certain results.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're just making it for fun, do what you think would make it fun. A few thoughts on why certain systems exist in those games:

Point 1: Some use x10 pulls to incentivize spending more, and they're the ones that tack on a guaranteed higher rank unit when you choose x10 over x1. For others though, the x10 is just for convenience. Imagine having 200 summon tickets and being stuck pulling 1. at. a. time.

Point 2: This one is entirely up to you. Do you want to rng your rares, or get them guranteed through higher quality packs? (Yes, different types of packs with different quality/value cards is a thing)

Point 3: 80% pull rate = random number: Math.random() will fetch you a value between 0 (inclusive) and 1 (exclusive) so 0.25, 0.69, 0.79, etc would be within that 80% threshold. 19% for your uncommon would be 0.84, 0.97, etc and 1% for your rares would be anything above 0.99.

Point 4: Depends on how quickly you want to be able to acquire cards, and how many you end up having total. Only you can answer that.

Point 5: If the game is just a card game, you could get more by beating opponents. If it's a card game in an RPG, go nuts. Enemies can drop them, NPCs can sell them, you can find them in chests, craft them, steal them, do whatever.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could always divide card packs into tiers and set those tiers behind price.

Think of the cards as rpg equipment, you either put level/rank/number of win restrictions or a monetary one splitting the cards into "tiers" given their rarity or power, a new player wont have 10/20k to buy the "gold pack" but can spare 2k for 2 bronze packs, silver packs would cost 5k and so on.

If you want to look for existing card games as examples look at the older ones not the current online gacha systems, any yugioh game in the ps2 era is a nice example, and yugioh legacy of the duelist is a very good example of card progression system that has 0 monetization involved.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can put in rare prizes in packs, but make it so they get easier to get, the more players progress. After all, you're not making a live service game that goes on for years (right?), so it'd be a shame to keep players from unlocking stuff they might want to use before shelving the game and moving on.
I think a good way is to have like 1 ultra rare guaranteed per pack or every few packs (depending on pack acquisition rate and how much stuff there is to unlock), but being unable to obtain dupes beyond the number you can use in gameplay. That way, players can eventually collect everything in the game without being RNG-walled.

xabileug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you for your ideas.. i've finalized my gacha system.. 3 cards per pack.. 8 types of packs.. 2 packs have a guranteed rare card / stronger card..

I also have a card break/craft system in case getting duplicates/excess cards.. then turning them to desired cards..

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your ideas.. i've finalized my gacha system.. 3 cards per pack.. 8 types of packs.. 2 packs have a guranteed rare card / stronger card..

I also have a card break/craft system in case getting duplicates/excess cards.. then turning them to desired cards..

Well I'm glad you resolved the issue on how to make it. By the way tht looks amazing. Would love a video on how you made your system if possible.

xabileug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you resolved the issue on how to make it. By the way tht looks amazing. Would love a video on how you made your system if possible.
I could show the common events.. its just two plugins triacontane PictureCallCommon and tomoaky SimpleWindow. The rest is evented.. Moghunter PictureEffects for the float and shake.. Also NGT Shatter for the egg break..

It always starts with the layout.. after the layout is choosing the graphics.. i use photoshop to get the coords.. then building the engine mechanics.. i finish off with the animation, sounds, adjusting wait times.. and some flavor text.

The mechanics really takes time as i am not a programmer.. most of these use script calls and arrays.. if you any specific question i can answer them.

Reactions: J-G

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could show the common events.. its just two plugins triacontane PictureCallCommon and tomoaky SimpleWindow. The rest is evented.. Moghunter PictureEffects for the float and shake.. Also NGT Shatter for the egg break..

It always starts with the layout.. after the layout is choosing the graphics.. i use photoshop to get the coords.. then building the engine mechanics.. i finish off with the animation, sounds, adjusting wait times.. and some flavor text.

The mechanics really takes time as i am not a programmer.. most of these use script calls and arrays.. if you any specific question i can answer them.
pm and we can talk more as i too am bad with programming lol

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's almost 3 month and this piece of drawing is still not finished yet.
aaaa.jpg

Really busy with other stuffs like commission and coping with personal problem.
Stella & Elyune, maybe used for promotional art if my game project finished one day.
My ex put my heart upon a self he said don't give me no lines and keep my hands to myself :,(
An Old... old Harold | RPG Maker News #71

Did a test on myself and I was negative on COVID. I was sitting near my aunt the whole time while doing stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markikilouis231