Gaining EXP when monster escapes?

kattywompus

trash bunny
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am making a realistic style game where battles will be rare, and typically the enemies will flee when they have lost a certain amount of health. I want death to carry weight in this world, so the idea of my characters randomly killing wolves and bats seems counter to that. 

I am wondering if there is any way to do this while still giving them battle exp and items. I like the idea of having a post battle status screen after each fight, but on my tests, it seems like forcing the monster to escape is the same as just aborting the battle. 

I've tried a couple different things, but nothing seems to work. I can't find the answer anywhere. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do what I want, which is just to give players experience and items when an enemy flees? Or will I have to find another way?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my question! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The engine only awards EXP if a monster is killed, and you would theoretically need a plugin to change the engine.

However, there is an alternative if you're only using evented battles and no random battles: you can give the EXP in the event after the battle.

If you want to do that, you'll need to set the enemies in the database to 0 EXP and calculate the EXP for each battleprocessing command yourself.

kattywompus

trash bunny
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The engine only awards EXP if a monster is killed, and you would theoretically need a plugin to change the engine.

However, there is an alternative if you're only using evented battles and no random battles: you can give the EXP in the event after the battle.

If you want to do that, you'll need to set the enemies in the database to 0 EXP and calculate the EXP for each battleprocessing command yourself.

Thanks for responding! I am using evented battles only, so that's certainly a consideration. My main concern is a lack of visual feedback for the players, but it's something to think about. Maybe I'll put that in place while working on a plugin.

Dalamar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just set the exp amount to a variable, then in a show text command put "the party gained \V[n]".  n=the number of the variable.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

3am me: So how do you feel about a character inviting their own character portrait to a tea party? =D

3pm me: //facepalms
I turned 17 two months ago and I feel like I've grown (personality-wise) more in this 1 year than all the 16 years I had lived combined.
Ugh, I may have been cumbersomely eventing a bunch of stuff I could have easily done changing the tileset "Passage (4 dir)" and "Ladder" options. Oops :D
I have no idea why some of the program "splash screen" always on top. E.g, RMMZ loading screen stuck on the top blocking anything I want to do until it fully loaded. What is even the purpose?
One of the secret places in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lincore