First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Map Travel
RPG Maker MZ Plugin
Galv

Introduction
A new scene that uses your own custom graphics for the player to select locations on a map.

Features
A scene that shows a custom map graphic (that you will need to create) and a list of locations that can be added/removed/changed from the map during gameplay.

The map can be moved around using mouse or keyboard controls and each location can change 3 variables to allow you to use the “Transfer” event command to transfer to a designated mapid and x,y position on that map.

This is NOT a plug-and-play plugin, you will need basic javascript knowledge (such as arrays and strings), be able to create your own location and map graphics and be able to spend time reading the documentation and studying the demo to learn how this plugin works.

How to Use
- Copy the "GALV_MapTravelMZ.js" file into your project's /js/plugins/ folder.
- Activate plugin using the 'Plugin Manager'
- Create a new folder in your project /img/maptravel/
- Read the 'HELP' documentation (also found in plugin manager) for more details and try the demo if you don't understand.
- You will need to make or find your own custom graphics

Plugin
Get it here

Credit and Thanks
- Galv

Terms
Free to use in any RPG Maker MZ project including commercial. Please credit "Galv".
:)

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably my favourite form of world map. Fantastic work!

Leysos

Chaotic!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's all coming together,..,.,..,,,... thank you for this tender morsel

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is great. I am going to log into inkarnate, make a map, load it into img/maptravel and test it out.
Great work Galv!

yours
winkr7

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
It's like what I once attempted to make on MV, but better.

Great job Galv.

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I made two events. One to set up the map and one to run it. I hit the setup event first, then I go to the run the event that goes to the map scene and get the error you see below.
I don't want any locations yet, I just want the bare bones map to come up in its scene. Do I need to call these from scripts? I saw the plugin commands so I tried them first.

Attachments

• GalvPlugInA.png
    GalvPlugInA.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 16
  • GalvPluginB.png
    GalvPluginB.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 16
  • GalvPluginC.png
    GalvPluginC.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 16

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That should work - from the look of the error it looks like your map image doesn't exist in the /img/maptravel/ folder? Double check it is in there and make sure the case of the file's name is the same.

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Galv;

Thanks for the quick response. Yes it has something to do with the wldOne.png file since it works with the Space.png file (from the MZ folder) just fine. I used Inkarnate to make the map, but this puts out a jpeg file which I then loaded and saved from windows paint as a png file. But I guess there is more to it.

Anyway. Thanks for the help.

EDIT later:

Got it all to work. Including my map from inkarnate. Amazing work. Scrolled around with mouse, maxed the screen, tried to break it. Very solid plugin.

yours
winkr7

Last edited:

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Galv;

EDIT: Got it to work, never mind. I see we do the map transfer ourselves which is good.

I am moving along with your great plugin. I set up a single place to go on the map. This should take me to mapID 2 location 4,6. But it takes me back to where I started. I put in MapID 1 (where I started) and it takes me back to where I started also, but not location 4,6. I got the Lantern to work on the Map and it changes color when I go to it like it should so I know the plutin is mostly working. It just doesn't take me to mapID 2 when I click travel.
Thanks for your help.

EDIT: am I supposed to do the goto map myself using the 3 variables I specified as mapID,x,y?
yours
WInkr7
GalvMapD.png

Last edited:

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, you use the 'Transfer' event command and select the 3 variables you chose in the plugin settings. In my master demo, check out the Common Event 1 to see an example.

EDIT: I've updated the plugin to have the option to prevent player cancelling the scene. Also fixed some bad eventing related to this plugin in my master demo - hopefully to clear it up a bit.

Last edited:

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Galv;

This plugin works fine with the VisuStella tier 0 and tier 1 plugins (as far as I tested). It also saves in the general save without any problems. Excellent work. I am completely happy.

If you are interested in suggestions I might offer this addition: If the user could drag and drop the stand alone map objects (depending on a flag) and launch a common event on drag start and drag drop then the functionally would go up a great deal. We could do things like send out minions to scout and the like before moving the main party.

Of course drag and drop has its own problems (where can it not be dropped, how does it move back to the start point on drop fail etc.) But most of these would be handled by the user in their common event triggered at drop.

Anyway, great work!
yours
winkr7

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Galv;

There is a scrolling problem if a site is placed too close to the left or south edge of the map. When the windows come up they cover the map so the sites you want to travel to are covered. You need to scroll the width of the left window and the height of the south window more when they are open.

Thanks for your time
yours
winkr7

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I recommend don't place locations where they will be covered by the windows. You could make your map extend further out.

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Galv;

That is a good and simple suggestion. It isn't that much space anyway.

Thanks
yours
winkr7

Dio_Brando

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
how do I make it so I can check if the player selected a certain location in the map?

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You set a location to have a map id, x and y coordinates. These are stored into the 3 variables you specified in the plugin settings. You can use those to check that the player selected each location.

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice work Galv.

Dio_Brando

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do I make it so i can lock/disable a location until a certain condition is met?

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Dio Brando;

Run a script with a line like this:
Galv.MAPT.enableLocation(7,"Sea Foam Tunnel",false);

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink