DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I type a lot, I'm really sorry. I'll underline the main parts so I don't make you all fall asleep before figuring out what the question is. Heh.

Alright, so my game has a nice little cosplay feature. That is to say, you can buy outfits for your characters, or you can be rewarded with them as well. I have each item (the ones physically given to you to represent each outfit) as a Key Item, which is then made into an event that only shows up when you have that item (a wardrobe room where you can pick what you want). This "item event" changes the player's Face and Character Graphic to whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and without a limit to changes. 

Before GALV's Menu Layout, the Face and Character Graphics changed not only in the field, but in the menu as well. As an artist, I loved the idea of replacing the menu graphics with portraits of my characters, BUT HERE'S MY PROBLEM. As far as I'm aware, I can only have one Portrait per character. 

This sort of ruins the effect I was going for, which was a sort of character customization. Now in theory, the new menu will not be able to have multiple portraits for a single character, but what I wondered was if you can have multiple portraits per single character. If so, that'd just be amazing. 

If anyone could help me out with this, that'd be so nice of you guys. 

I also have another problem I was wondering about, but rather than starting a new topic, I'll put it as a spoiler. Hope that's not against the rules...

Is there a way to get the Face Graphic within the Show Text entries to change with an item, such as my cosplay items I mentioned above, rather than having to set it all the time myself for the player as default? Reason why I ask is because I'd rather not have the Show Text entries to show my default faces if someone playing is using a different cosplay outfit. That'd take a way from the customization effect.

II'll give snapshots of the "cosplay item" events if you guys need it for some reason, or if you're interested in doing that in one of your games. :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Mableemer

I truly appreciate this article.Really looking for
Reaction score
First Language
Erick
Primarily Uses
I appreciate you sharing this forum. Fantastic. Moshe

Mukar

That Guy
Reaction score
First Language
English
Are you also using Galv's bust script or menu backgrounds, because I think I have a solution, but it disagrees with those specific scripts.

I figured out the problem, I think. I'm having a hard time fully understanding the issue. If I'm basically repeating the issue in 1-3, pay attention to the * at the end.

1. Make an event in the starting map that runs on auto-run. It enables a variable (which I set to 20 to avoid conflict with my other scripts) and then enables self switch A. Add another page to the event and set its conditions to be "Self Switch A" = On. Make sure the second page's trigger is something useless such as "action button," and make sure the page is blank.

2. Make a Common event that runs as a parallel process, and set it's condition to be the variable enables in step 1 (variable 20 for me).

3. In this common event, add a conditional branch that checks if a certain item is equipped, and if so, then change actor graphic to what you want. Ingame changes won't take effect until the menu is fully closed. When you reopen it, you should see that your portrait changed.

*One last note: when changing actor graphic of the portrait, the only way the portrait in the main part of the menu will change is if the portrait file is the same name of the face graphic file-1. EXAMPLE: Face graphic file is "Jimmy_BananaCostume" then the corresponding portrait file should be named "Jimmy_BananaCostume-1"

I hope I helped!

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you also using Galv's bust script or menu backgrounds, because I think I have a solution, but it disagrees with those specific scripts.

I figured out the problem, I think. I'm having a hard time fully understanding the issue. If I'm basically repeating the issue in 1-3, pay attention to the * at the end.

1. Make an event in the starting map that runs on auto-run. It enables a variable (which I set to 20 to avoid conflict with my other scripts) and then enables self switch A. Add another page to the event and set its conditions to be "Self Switch A" = On. Make sure the second page's trigger is something useless such as "action button," and make sure the page is blank.

2. Make a Common event that runs as a parallel process, and set it's condition to be the variable enables in step 1 (variable 20 for me).

3. In this common event, add a conditional branch that checks if a certain item is equipped, and if so, then change actor graphic to what you want. Ingame changes won't take effect until the menu is fully closed. When you reopen it, you should see that your portrait changed.

*One last note: when changing actor graphic of the portrait, the only way the portrait in the main part of the menu will change is if the portrait file is the same name of the face graphic file-1. EXAMPLE: Face graphic file is "Jimmy_BananaCostume" then the corresponding portrait file should be named "Jimmy_BananaCostume-1"

I hope I helped!
This sounds like it could work. It sounds GENIUS! :D If this works out, I might very well be one of the happiest people on Earth. Thank you!

So to theorize, to confirm to make sure I'm getting it right...

"CharacterName" is the character I'll have the icon for, and 1-8 will be the 8 squares on their character file. 

So, say, if an item changes the graphics of the sprite-face from Doctor_Artist_1 to Doctor_Artist_2, the above instructions will change the menu graphic of the character to Doctor_Artist_2 as well? 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Gotta love when RM just decides it's done with existence and closes when you're in an event.
Good grief am I ever so dusty on music creation. Never move, gentleman and ladies!
After waiting for several months to observe the results of vaccines, I finally decided to go for Comirnaty, because now my job needs me to either be vaccinated or take a regular testing every 2 weeks(240 HKD per test), and it seems to me that Comirnaty is safe enough in my case :)
So, to create multiple faces one needs to first export, then import, over and over... who came up with this weird mechanism...
Away from home now since it reduce COVID spread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fooples