Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Message Styles
RPG Maker MZ Plugin
Galv

Introduction
Speech bubble message boxes.

Features
This plugin allows you to display messages above characters on the map like ‘speech bubbles’ to show which character is talking. These message pop-up windows will shift around to try and try to stay on the screen no matter where the character they are targeted on is standing.

Additionally, you can change the windowskin of the pop or default messages during game, or just temporarily change them for individual messages.

How to Use
- Copy the "GALV_MessageStylesMZ.js" file into your project's /js/plugins/ folder.
- Activate plugin using the 'Plugin Manager'
- Read the 'HELP' documentation (also found in plugin manager) for more details and try the demo if you don't understand.

Plugin
Get it here

Credit and Thanks
- Galv

Terms
Free to use in any RPG Maker MZ project including commercial. Please credit "Galv".
:)

Future Improvements Wish List
- Ability to change default font and font color dependent on windowskin selected
- Compatibility with future plugins (such as Visual Novel Choices, etc.)

Last edited:

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congratulations to galv for launching the MZ version. I like your Message Styles very much. I always use it in MV.
But it cannot be used with your MessageBackground to change the window background. It would be great if integrated!:biggrin:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was waiting for this one, haha.
Thank you so much for your wonderful work!

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The fact that the messages are coded to stay on-screen is probably the selling feature for me.
I am struggling really hard with the MV equivalent because I often have treasure chests near the map-edges and the messages would always go over the visible screen. So I had to make all treasure popups have a fixed position on the screen for continuity sake.

So it's great to see that this issue is resolved for MZ, for what its worth atleast.

Great work as always, Galv!

inc0der

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What a classic plugin, I've used your message styles plugins in many of my unfinished VX Ace projects back in the day. Thanks for providing us with one for MZ, I look forward to seeing what else you make in the future.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is great, I was waiting for the MZ port as I loved it for MV!
It doesn't seem to be compatible with the VisuStella Message Core unfortunately. It returns
"TypeError
Cannot set property 'x' of null"

Otherwise it works great!

Iqus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fantastic job Galv, like always! Definitely using this!

Heartless_Angel

Lv. 666
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hope it can be made compatible with visustella message core and zoom plugins.
Then it would be perfect.

GalacticGod

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Loved this plugin on MV and have been looking forward to the release of it on MZ. Just a couple of quick things though:

Having some issues getting it to work alongside the Visustella Message Core. :(

Also, when you have the message set to "Bottom" it displays above the character and when you have it set to "Top" it displays the message below the character. I think those need to be switched around.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hope it can be made compatible with visustella message core and zoom plugins.
Then it would be perfect.
You're contacting the wrong person, I think. If you want a plugin to be compatible with VisuMZ, you're probably better off contacting them. They can see & access their code, Galv can't. ;)

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Message Styles
RPG Maker MZ Plugin
Galv

Introduction
Speech bubble message boxes.

Features
This plugin allows you to display messages above characters on the map like ‘speech bubbles’ to show which character is talking. These message pop-up windows will shift around to try and try to stay on the screen no matter where the character they are targeted on is standing.

How to Use
- Copy the "GALV_MessageStylesMZ.js" file into your project's /js/plugins/ folder.
- Activate plugin using the 'Plugin Manager'
- Read the 'HELP' documentation (also found in plugin manager) for more details and try the demo if you don't understand.

Plugin
Get it here

Credit and Thanks
- Galv

Terms
Free to use in any RPG Maker MZ project including commercial. Please credit "Galv".
:)

Future Improvements Wish List
- Ability to change message windowskins and tails (separately for default and pop-up windows)
- Ability to change default font and font color dependent on windowskin selected
- Compatibility with future plugins (such as Visual Novel Choices, Message Busts, etc.)
Galv, are you jesuchrist? Because this is a godlike plugin, love how even moving the characters the window follows them!!! I wish have my history already sorted on my mind to begin seriously the development of my game!!

Thank you for sharing this!!! <3

GalacticGod

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're contacting the wrong person, I think. If you want a plugin to be compatible with VisuMZ, you're probably better off contacting them. They can see & access their code, Galv can't. ;)
I was reading from other Plugin creators that if the plugin creator contacts Yanfly or the Visustella team that they can help them out with any compatibility issues.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
...But it cannot be used with your MessageBackground to change the window background. It would be great if integrated!:biggrin:
I haven't ported my MessageBackground plugin yet, but an MZ version likely won't work with this as it uses dynamic width/height windows and that plugin just showed a static sized graphic. I'll make different ways to change the popup message box visuals.

The fact that the messages are coded to stay on-screen is probably the selling feature for me.
I am struggling really hard with the MV equivalent because I often have treasure chests near the map-edges and the messages would always go over the visible screen. So I had to make all treasure popups have a fixed position on the screen for continuity sake.

So it's great to see that this issue is resolved for MZ, for what its worth atleast.

Great work as always, Galv!
My MV equivalent should have kept messages on the screen also - perhaps a plugin conflict or bug you were experiencing?

...when you have the message set to "Bottom" it displays above the character and when you have it set to "Top" it displays the message below the character. I think those need to be switched around.
If you check the plugin settings, there is an option to reverse those and I have it set to true by default. (So bottom is top and top is bottom). If you change the plugin setting, you can set it back to normal.

In regards to Visustella compatibility: as Anyone said, I don't know how I can make this compatible with their code. (Plus my code is likely not up to par with their skills!)

EDIT: Might contact them once I iron out any bugs in this and add some planned future updates.

howaboutno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have massive respect for you Galv! I'm so happy to see new features with plugins being brought over and am super excited for whatever updates you have planned! ♥ Thank you as always for providing for the community!

Heartless_Angel

Lv. 666
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I hope magic shards menu comes back too.
Its one of my fav plugins of yours. =/
Atm I try to find out how to code myself in js for mz...
But I got no idea where to even look or start x- x
I want to make my own plugins at some point.
Or learn how to port mv to mz plugins.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've re-written a bunch of the code and also added:
- plugin calls that can change pop message and normal message windowskin and arrow graphics separately during the game.
- added ability to add within the \pop tag: a y offset value, windowskin and window arrow graphics. These are used to change just the individual message the tag is in.

Updates are all in version 1.3 download found in the link in original post.

howaboutno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh my goodness these updates are super awesome! Great work, you did this so fast. The window changing and y offset is going to work wonders for me since I have big sprites and small sprites in my game. ♥

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've re-written a bunch of the code and also added:
- plugin calls that can change pop message and normal message windowskin and arrow graphics separately during the game.
- added ability to add within the \pop tag: a y offset value, windowskin and window arrow graphics. These are used to change just the individual message the tag is in.

Updates are all in version 1.3 download found in the link in original post.
Sounds like some great improvements! :D

I hope magic shards menu comes back too.
Its one of my fav plugins of yours. =/
Atm I try to find out how to code myself in js for mz...
But I got no idea where to even look or start x- x
I want to make my own plugins at some point.
Or learn how to port mv to mz plugins.
If you really want to learn to program plugins, the best way is to learn javascript itself first.
Without it, most of the stuff in MZ will confuse you, and you won't really know what functions are available and it's gonna be a lot of trial & error that you can save yourself with a couple JS lessons to bring you up to speed in less than a week.

You can learn JS easily via:
Which uses the P5.JS library to allow you to quickly jump in & experiment with JS.

Alternatively check out these two courses on scrimba, both are free though you have to register.
Scrimba has a playground for registered users, where you can write & test javascript code easily:

Once you know JS, jumping into MZ plugin development is a lot easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Enter the password in letters. (English subtitles)
I really tried to pull off something for halloween, but I don't feel like going on. I feel like the plot I was building was too generic, and I couldn't connect to it as I do with other projects. On the bright side, I've been working on my cosmic-puzzle project, so far I think the core mechanics are working properly, so I'll be creating some large test maps to see how it works out.
People2_5 & SF_Monster1 added!

Ami
--- X Costume ---

M.Healer: I'm wearing M.Mage's Costume.
M.Mage: I'm wearing M.Healer's Costume.
M.Knight: Why not using the Scary Costume like me,The Scary Frankenstein?
M.Healer: Err…Because we have low of Budget.
M.Mage: Yeah,right.
MV Plugin Showcase: Opening the in-game menu without pausing the background. :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TikeTenGamesOffical