First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Visibility Range - Version 1.2
RPG Maker MV Plugin
Galv

Introduction
Just a way to limit the player's visibility. Similar to my Ace version.

Screenshot

Features
Creates a graphic above the player to be used to hide everything around them except for the transparency in the image. This could be used to create a visibility range around the player while the rest of the screen is hidden.
The overlay can be zoomed in and out to shrink/grow the range and also have varied transparency.
The visibility range image can be changed during game.

How to Use
- Copy the "GALV_VisibilityRange.js" file into your project's /js/plugins/ folder.
- Activate plugin using the 'Plugin Manager'
- Copy the visibility range image (or create your own image) into YourProject/img/system/ folder
- Read the help file to see how it works. Examine the demo if you don't understand.

Plugin
Get it here

Credit and Thanks
- Galv

Terms
Free to use in any RPG Maker MV project including commercial. Please credit "Galv". :)

Updates

2016-12-19 - Version 1.2 - Fixed so that you create the visrange only when required and it's not on all maps.

2016-08-10 - Version 1.1 - Fixed bugs and made compatible with mv version 1.3
2015-12-19 - Version 1.0 - Release

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hi Galv...this looks nice, but it made me think of something.

I guess I should ask in the Plugin Request section, but I thought I ask here first...

Do you think its possible (for you and your time) to make a sight plugin that gets blocked by collision?

Sounds like it would be over the top for rpg maker, but it should be possible with Java Script.

Somehow similiar to diagonal movement? Sending out colliders that check for sight possibility?

Would be quite amazing for horror games or surprise situations in general!

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's possible but not for this plugin (This one is just a simple one). There were a couple of lighting scripts for VX ACE that did that. Wait out to see if those devs have or are going to make them for MV :)

MakoTorii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is great! I do have a request/suggestion for this plugin though: Is it possible to have an option to make the visibility range have a flickering effect (the visible "circle" with the player" grows and shrinks back from its original size quickly)? And if possible, it is possible to control the speed of the flicker?

I do understand that this could be done through eventing, but I feel like it could be better built-in? In the case that it's not possible, it's no problem. Many thanks for this, still! :D

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The plugin uses variables to make it easy for people to do things like that via eventing. :)

starcraft956

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I cant figure out how to make it dim. I have already changed the zoom number just like in the demo copied the image and turned on the scrips and the common event

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You need to use "Control Variables" in event command and change the variable number that you set in the plugin settings.

Please look at the demo closely and play with the event commands to see what they do

starcraft956

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well its a start but i was able to only get it to work if its on variable 0001 and 0002 instead of how i had it 0003 0004. Got it going 4 the most part is just minor trouble shoot I thank you

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have double checked that there is no bugs in the plugin. It works fine when using any variables you specify in the plugin settings.

If you copy/pasted the eventing from the demo and you changed the variables - you will also need to change the variables used in the demo eventing conditional branches and control variables.

Gauze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
N/A
"Copy the visibility range image (or create your own image) into YourProject/img/system/ folder" the what?  you have to chose were to put the effect, its in parallax?

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't understand the question. This plugin has nothing to do with parallax.

In order for the plugin to work, it requires an image to use. This image must be located in the /img/system/ folder in your project folder.

For example:

/img/system/VisibilityRange1.png

If you don't understand, download the demo and have a look in the files.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, how do you disable it? Just set opacity to 0 would work, I suppose, but won't it cause lag and similar? Any way to manually turn it off? (I like the script but few areas of my game use it and I'd prefer the process didn't stick around and possibly cause lag down the line. Then again, I am script-stupid XD)

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you make it opacity 0 it won't update the image positioning, so making it opacity 0 is the planned way to disable and shouldn't cause much (if any) lag - maybe a tiny delay in load times on slow devices. But now you mention it, I can think of a more efficient way to write that to prevent that as well.

I've added that to my to-do list :D

sora_roxas870

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can I ask how can i disable it? I can't seem to disable it
I like all your scripts but this is the only I can't seem to disable 

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Currently you change opacity to 0 to disable. I have been meaning to change how this works.

Nekonron

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm having a problem where I can't change the image used. I used the plugin command VISRANGE ImageName, and I know this is correct because if I put it to the default VisibilityRange1 it works, but the moment I change this to something else (i.e. VisibilityRange2) it gives the error:

TypeError
undefined is not a function

I tested on the demo file and that works, :( not sure if I'm missing anything.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Might need to do tests to see if another plugin is causing it not to work

Nekonron

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After some testing I found out that it could be an issue with the 1.3.1 update. When I updated the index.html and js folder (except plugins.js) to the demo file, the same error occurs when I try to interact with the orb that ran the plugin command.

Hope this helps.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I tested the original 1.3.1 update files and it's working. I have not get any of the beta updates after that one, though.

I will wait until the official 1.3.2 version is available before I try to error trap anything.

EDIT: Updated to most recent beta patches and still no issue for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Managed to find a way to hang a bed cover over my window. So no more being toasted alive in the afternoon!:kaoswt2:
So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoloJou