Galv's Visual Novel Choices

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Galv, Mar 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Visual Novel Choices - Version 1.5
    RPG Maker MV Plugin
    Galv

Introduction
    Another port of my ACE version. Visual Novel Choices now in MV.

Screenshot
    [​IMG]

Features
    Pretty simple - changes the default "Show Choices" menu to look like a visual novel choice selection.Uses a graphic that contains multiple choice backgrounds that can be used on individual choices.

How To Use
    - Copy the "GALV_VisualNovelChoices.js" file into your project's /js/plugins/ folder.
    - Activate plugin using the 'Plugin Manager'
    - Copy the "VNButtons.png" file into YourProject/img/system/
    - Read the help file and examine the demo to learn how it works.

Plugin
    Get it here

Credit and Thanks
    - Galv

Terms
    Free to use in any RPG Maker MV project including commercial. Please credit "Galv". [​IMG]

Updates
    2016-08-10 - Version 1.5 - fixed a precache issue with MV update 1.3
    2016-05-11 - Version 1.4 - required image will now not be removed with "exlude unused images" deployment option.
    2016-04-02 - Version 1.3 - changed some code to be compatibile with menu cursor plugins
    2016-03-21 - Version 1.2 - fixed color codes and alignment. fixed to be compatible with Hime's choice plugins
    2016-03-16 - Version 1.1 - added setting to control gap between message box and choices. Added setting to choose button that will display when a choice is disabled (if using a plugin that disables them)
    2016-03-14 - Version 1.0 - release

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Nice, way prettier than the default.

Galv likes this.
  3. Ilan14

Ilan14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I've been waiting for this one for a long while! And this looks even better than the original! :D

Good job with your plugins as always! :)

Out of curiosity: Do you think this is compatible with Tsukihime Hidden and Disabled Choice Conditions?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  4. Veralisa

Veralisa Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This is SO pretty, and it seems to work with Hime's disabled choice plugin too, so that's great :p

Just wondering if there would be any way to visually show disabled choices. I edited the VNButtons.png to include a grey background to indicate a disabled choice, but I don't think there's currently a way to change the background automatically, is there? I ask because most of my disabled choices are due to variable / switch differences, e.g. If relationship is too low, can't do choice x. So the grey-ed backgrounds would change based on the variables changing.

Another thing is that it overlaps with the message name window, but I'll probably just go back and delete the name windows before each choice so that doesn't happen. I mean, it's a lot of work but I really like your choice windows!

I don't know if I make sense, but anyway, tl;dr, I'm really loving how much prettier this looks over the default choice windows, so thank you!

Edit:

Both of them work for me ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Galv and Ilan14 like this.
  5. Ilan14

Ilan14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Oooh! Does also work with the Conditional Choice Text plugin?

6. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Ahh, I did not think of name boxes or anything. An option to move the choices away from that is a good idea - adding to my to-do list.

As for the disabled choices changing the background - link me the plugin you are using to disable them and I'll check that out when I have time, too :)

Best way to know is give it a try, then lemme know if not and I can check it out

7. Veralisa

Veralisa Villager Member

First Language:
    English

That would be really cool, thank you!

That's the Disabled choice plugin, and there's a link in the first post to the other choice-related Plugins (including the ones that Ilan14 mentioned) like large choices, conditional choices etc too.

Thank you so much for looking into it! Really appreciated :D  

Galv likes this.
  8. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated to v.1.1 - added setting to control gap between message box and choices.

Added setting to choose button that will display when a choice is disabled - this has only been tested with Hime's Disabled Choice Conditions plugin :)

Lemme know if any issues.

Ilan14 and Veralisa like this.
  9. Veralisa

Veralisa Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm so excited! I've been refreshing this page like every hour since your last update xD

I just added v1.1 to my project and both the disabled choice and message gap features work great! Thank you so much for the update.

Something minor I was thinking of pointing out is that if a user also has Hime's Hidden Choice plugin (where choices are hidden based on conditions), the centring of the text seems to be off. Here's an example of the off-center, and here is the same event when the choice isn't hidden (the condition is met). 

I dunno if you're going to look into it but either way, THANK YOU so much for the update. My friends who're helping me test my WIP all commented about how much better the choice windows look now :D  

Galv likes this.
  10. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'll look into why that happens with hidden choice plugin at a later date :)

Veralisa likes this.
  11. Ilan14

Ilan14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    This update is really great, Galv! :D

Oh, and by the way, the issue that Versalia mentioned before also applies if you're using Tsukihime's Conditional Choice Text Plugin.

12. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh? I didn't see it happen while coding the update. Can you please try changing their positions in the plugin list?

13. Ilan14

Ilan14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I put your plugin above his plugin, I disabled the Disabled and Hidden Choice Condition plugins, and the same thing still happens.

14. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm, I have both of Hime's plugins under my plugin and everything is working fine - I don't have text alignment issues.

Please try what you are doing in a new project or copy/paste the lines of text in your choices so I can try and replicate.

15. Ilan14

Ilan14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I looked more, and it seems that with the Conditional Choice Text, the centering of the text fails if I change the text of the choice using a script call. Otherwise, it's fine. But the Hidden Choice Conditions plugin still unaligns text when used normally.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  16. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Please see if it happens in a new project.

Please copy/paste the lines of text in your choices so I can try and replicate.

As for changing choice text using script call - what script call are you using and are you using a plugin to do that?

17. Veralisa

Veralisa Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Since Ilan didn't reply I thought I'd give it a shot :)

Made a new project with no plugins other than Galv Visual Novel Choices and Hime's Hidden Choice plugins, and the error still occurs. 

Here's a screenshot of the off-center in game. 

Here's the simple event window. (The plugin command is hide_choice x, from Hime's Hidden Choice)

I also noticed that with the plugin command, the color change doesn't work. (I had set 'nothing' to be red with \b[4].)

Without the plugin command, the color and the centering is fine.

I don't know if it helps but let me know if there's any other information that might! ^_^

Edit: I don't use conditional choice so I didn't add my experience with that, sorry, but if you want me to I'll get it and try the same thing!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
    Galv likes this.
  18. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time to help with this - I will try to replicate the issue using your screenies when I can :)

19. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated to version 1.2

Fixed alignment when using color codes. Is now compatible with Hime's choice plugins.

Ilan14 likes this.
  20. Ilan14

Ilan14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    It works much better now! Thanks for the update! :D

By the way, sorry I couldn't answer you, but life and the university kinda got in my way...  :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
    Galv likes this.