RMMV [GAME CONCEPT] Need feedback...

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Maxii03, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Maxii03

Maxii03 Normal Guy Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tales of Sorrow
    (Or something like that)

Before you start reading, I'm not sure if this is the category that I should use but since what I'm gonna post is all in my mind and I have not started working yet, I'll post this here :elswt:. I think I know how I'm gonna do everything that I post here though.

Gameplay Mechanics!

• I'm gonna use the classic features of a RPG game. Sideview turn-battle system.

Storyline / Plot!

• There is a virus expanding around the world... But it's not the classic virus that kills people and you and three more persons have to extermine.
    • This virus makes non-mentally-strong people depressed. I'll explain a bit more. The virus makes people be obssesed with their mistakes and doubtful about the desicions they've taken in their whole life, slowly decreasing their self-steem and making them sad. The mental pain that this virus causes can have three different ends: some people can turn this mental pain into physical pain and die, others can endure it and become stone due their extreme harden. The last case is that the people affected by the virus hates happy people and tries to kill them, mutating in monsters full of rage, envy and darkness without soul.
    • The virus is provocated by a dark wizard that also has depression and wants to make people sad so he does not feel apart of them, and this is our principal antagonist.
    • I don't know the relationship that the enemies and the dark wizard will have. I was thinking about a "peon" relationship but that's too cliché.

Characters!

• Cole: Our protagonist. A blond guy with red eyes. He has a childish side that Epon (see below) often brings out. He's 19 and his birthday is June 1. He's the best swordsman and champion in his village (even if it's not very recongized... just neighboring villages know and respect him). He has a energy-full personality, but he can be very serious when the time comes. His stats are really balanced.
    • Epon: A 11-year-old royal mage that has always been badtreaten because he was born as a "weak" mage in a kingdom of "strong" warriors. He meets Cole in one of his castle-escapes. He likes teasing Cole, or making childish jokes that Cole cannot bear and that's when they start fighting like kids. He outstands at Magical Attack and Speed.
    • Aryl: A sort of offensive and supportive priest. I'm desarrollating her personality and background. The only thing I know is that she's gonna be very sexy. She does not excell on any of the stats but her skills compensate it.
    • Adria: A fighter that focuses on defenses. I'm desarrollating her personality as well. Her defenses at level 99 are the highest I've ever thought of. Around 400 each one at that level.

Relationships!

• You're able to interact with the party members on a camp.
    • Epon will generally appreciate making him laugh or showing affect. He also likes childish fights. You can have such a deep friendship at the point of hugging Epon or playing games with him.
    • Aryl will generally appreciate flirting, perverted jokes and romantic things. You can go into kissing, romance or something else if you've got the requiered relationship points.
    • Adria will generally appreciate doing manly things together. She also likes flowers. You can go into kissing and romance if you've got the requiered relationship points.
    • You can also earn relationship points in certain desicions you make or something like that. What I'm trying to say is that you will not earn relationship points just in the camp.

Images!

Cole and Epon. The faces, of course. I do not have access to any way to make busts, I'm honestly sorry. There is an image of their battlers too. I have not decided how Aryl and Adria will look yet.

Cole:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Epon:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you for reading until here! All feedback is appreciated :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    consolcwby and pandadodod like this.
  2. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The virus idea sounds very interesting! The characters seem to have interesting relations too, and the relationship mechanic works well with it!
    Although I'm not seeing much of what the plot will be, just what the issue is, but I'm sure you've thought of it.

Overall, sounds good so good luck! :thumbsup-left::):thumbsup-right:

3. Maxii03

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SmashArt thank you for the feedback!

Yes, I've thought about the plot but since English is not my first language I couldn't explain what I thought correctly :elswt:

I've thought about the relationships as well but the main problem is that I cannot find a character for the girls that fits what I imagine. I'll need to search a bit more.

4. Muffel

Muffel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm curious about why the antagonist is so sad that he became evil. Did you think about a background story for him?

5. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    viruses and dark wizards are mutually exclusive.
    either make the virus a curse, or make the wizard a scientist!

I reckon the post-apocalyptic setting for a scientist gone rogue would be a nice break from typical RPGs.

6. Maxii03

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Muffel I did! I would tell you but that's something that comes up at the final part of the story.

@gstv87 it's a like a curse, yeah. But it's spread like a virus so I'd prefer to call it a "magical virus"(?)

Thank you guys for the replies!

7. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    *plague*

8. Maxii03

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess it is? I think it's gonna be a curse after all.

9. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is actually a very refreshing concept, and a great way to draw attention to the condition of depression. So many people fail to see it as a real illness, and I think games that showcase this are a wonderful rarity. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. :D

10. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The plot line with the depression-virus kinda reminds me of Persona in a way... Don't think I can explain why though :distrust:
    But I do like the idea and I'm curious about where it will go.
    Keep up the good work!

11. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depression isn't just "losing your self esteem until you get sad", it's so much more complicated than that. If you're gonna do this, research the hell out if what depression actually is and the myriad ways it can manifest and affect people. Your intentions might be good but if you don't treat something as serious as depression with the respect, empathy and understanding it deserves you run the risk of coming off pretty poorly in the eyes of anyone who knows what it's really like. Start with Depression Quest for a look into how depression can be systemised and incorporated into a game, and also to give you a window into how it's more than just sadness and how it affects everything about your personality and life.

falken14, consolcwby and Finnuval like this.
  12. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I concur with @onipunk - here's some links to get you started:
    https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-symptoms-and-types
    https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-clinical-depression-1067309
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

Also, I would like to add an older symptom to the lists you will find which is Sleep Deprivation.
    Too many times clinicians are too eager to attribute psychosis/schizophrenia to SD. I think it's partially due to the DSM-5 and it's 'politics over science' WHO (world health organization) approval approach. (IMHO)

13. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Storyline / Plot!: I know you like it is to call a magical virus or plague. However, you have to pick between scientific or fantasy style game because you have to explain in magical explanation or biology explanation. You cannot have both of them. It is to distinction.
    Characters! From I read, you prefer a magical explanation. Now your choice is between poison or an evil curse.
    Relationships!: great character profiles and good job on an idea of a relationship system.

14. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with what @Kupotepo has said, it seems like a curse would fit better if a dark wizard is behind it, and then for the dark wizard himself, give him a proper background where he has felt so isolated to the point he'd put a curse on people to feel better? I'd suggest he's been cursed too but other ideas can work.