Game crashes when I use special ability

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Meiya, May 18, 2015.

1. Meiya

Meiya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I tried doing a search in google and on this forum and I didn't see anything specific to my problem so I made a post.

When I try to use any special ability, (Both were custom abilities)

http://gyazo.com/632dcd4afe7a0aa87f7a4a0ccdc3c6d5

I get that error and the game crashes.

return $data_animations[anime_id].frame_max * 4

thats the offending peice of code.

http://gyazo.com/31fcfb417c62ad998915b9b3deba616b First custom skill.

http://gyazo.com/f6141e888837b4bab937e1e276d2d51f second custom skill.

I'm using Tankentai Sideview Battle System.

I also tried using a default skill already offered in the skill list and it also crashes the game in the same fashion so I don't think the issue is with the skills be custom.

2. optimum45

optimum45 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Copy Animation # 113 through #119 in the Journey Demo File and put them in the same place in your own project.

3. Meiya

Meiya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Where can I locate the journey demo file? Just in the game folder or is it a separate download? I don't remember seeing anything named like that.

thanks in advance.

[Edit]

I just did a google search for the Journey battle system, then copy them directly from each different game folder, to mine. Thank you this worked.

What is the explanation between what the code error said and the fix? I want to understand it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The script has preset animations for the different skills, and most probably the skills you tried were set to animations that didn't exist in default, so it couldn't sort through the data.

5. Meiya

Meiya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Makes sense, how/where can I find that in the code itself? I am having other issues with custom skills I am making.

Whenever I try to make one, the new skill apparently has its own ID animation that it uses, and no matter what I set it too, it still wants to use that default animation even if I change it.

Its very annoying.

One I'm trying to assign as a bite that  restores health, instead of doing the animation I desire, my character launches a huge bubble at the target and screams "SQUIRTLE!!" Hilarious, but annoying that I can't seem to find a way to change it.

[Temporary fix]

I just went down about 10 empty skill slots in the skill menu, Im assuming there were custom animations set to some of those skill slot ID's.

Going down 10 slots put me past the ID slots that had custom animations,though this was only a guess. It worked however!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015