Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've had a long standing issue where my game crashes after being played for a while, usually after a couple of hours but it can vary. This has happened on 4 different PCs.

It's always immediately after a map transition, and noticeably the BGM fails to load right before it happens. I thought it may have been struggling to load the music files so I tried using a preloader plugin, this did not work.
(UPDATE: One of the common crash locations had a different issue since adding the preloader, the BGM in that area stopped playing after the usual time but the game stayed alive. Very strange.)
(UPDATE2: The 2 crashes since adding the preloader have been from quickly moving back and forth between maps.)

I've updated the core files and all plugins, this did not fix it. (List of plugins attached)

Emailed support and they pointed me here, I am out of ideas on what this could be. Please help!

Attachments

• pluginlist.jpg
    pluginlist.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have your task manager open as you play. See if your memory usage keeps increasing and maxes out just before the game crashes.

Earlier versions of MV had a memory leak, but that's been fixed. So I would question whether you completely and correctly updated your core scripts and how you did it. It's also possible one of the plugins you're using has a memory leak.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I updated the core by creating a new game and copying the relevant files over into the old folder.
The memory does increase during play after interacting with new things in the game. It's very hard to monitor since the crashes are so random, I can't reliably reproduce them. I'll try and find a way to log that info.
Have your task manager open as you play. See if your memory usage keeps increasing and maxes out just before the game crashes.

Earlier versions of MV had a memory leak, but that's been fixed. So I would question whether you completely and correctly updated your core scripts and how you did it. It's also possible one of the plugins you're using has a memory leak.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if the crashes produce no error message, then they are likely caused externally, for example an anti-malware program falsely identifying the game as a virus-infected website.

what is your current editor version (help-about), and if you open the project's rpg_core.js file with a text editor, what is the version number in the title line? please provide both numbers as they may or may not be identical.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are no error messages it just instantly closes (I wish the F8/F12 window didn't close with it so I could have a better look at what's happening). My editor version is 1.6.2, and the core script version is 1.6.2.
if the crashes produce no error message, then they are likely caused externally, for example an anti-malware program falsely identifying the game as a virus-infected website.

what is your current editor version (help-about), and if you open the project's rpg_core.js file with a text editor, what is the version number in the title line? please provide both numbers as they may or may not be identical.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you have to check your background programs, be they antivirus or anti-malware or parental protection or network security or something like that.

one of those is force-closing the editor.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's doing the same thing on 4 different PCs.
then you have to check your background programs, be they antivirus or anti-malware or parental protection or network security or something like that.

one of those is force-closing the editor.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's doing the same thing on 4 different PCs.
then it is most likely that all those four PCs are using the same protection program and that program had an update that now lists the engine with a false positive.

Fact is, all internal errors in the engine will result in an error message. If a browser crashes to desktop without an error message, then that browser was shutdown externally.

Theoretically this could happen due to a memory leak, but the engine itself has had all memory leaks fixed as of 1.4.0.
SRD is a good programmer, so it is unlikely his preloader plugin would cause this unless you really messed up its use (all preloaders are automatically memory leaks by design).

So it is more likely an external program

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only anti-virus on my PC at least is windows defender. I don't know what the others have. And the crashes were happening before the preloader, I added it to try and fix the crashing as I suspect it has something to do with the BGM failing to load.
then it is most likely that all those four PCs are using the same protection program and that program had an update that now lists the engine with a false positive.

Fact is, all internal errors in the engine will result in an error message. If a browser crashes to desktop without an error message, then that browser was shutdown externally.

Theoretically this could happen due to a memory leak, but the engine itself has had all memory leaks fixed as of 1.4.0.
SRD is a good programmer, so it is unlikely his preloader plugin would cause this unless you really messed up its use (all preloaders are automatically memory leaks by design).

So it is more likely an external program

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I said "protection program", not Anti-virus for a reason - Windows alone has at least three different protection programs installed, and that is ignoring what else you get installed by computer manufacturers. There is also network security, the access prevention protocols, parental guidance and more.

Fact is, any internal error will result in an error message, including failed to load and similar things.

If you got an eternal loop due to some other error, the game will not crash but freeze.

If the game crashes and closes its window without an error message, then its either a memory problem or an external program forcing it closed.

If you do not know of such a program, then you must seek to find it - your missing knowledge does not change the facts listed above.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have a direction for me to look for these things? And what to check if I find them? The missing knowledge remark was unnecessary.

I also disagree that it's more likely to be an external program when it's doing the same thing in different environments. There are older posts about this same crash issue that never got resolved (post MV leak fix). And there seems to be issues surrounding the engine not handling audio files longer than 45 second well, which again leads me to think it has to do with problems loading the BGM.
I said "protection program", not Anti-virus for a reason - Windows alone has at least three different protection programs installed, and that is ignoring what else you get installed by computer manufacturers. There is also network security, the access prevention protocols, parental guidance and more.

Fact is, any internal error will result in an error message, including failed to load and similar things.

If you got an eternal loop due to some other error, the game will not crash but freeze.

If the game crashes and closes its window without an error message, then its either a memory problem or an external program forcing it closed.

If you do not know of such a program, then you must seek to find it - your missing knowledge does not change the facts listed above.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the remark wasn't personal, more like a frustrated comment from the hundreds of cases I've had over the years where I told people what the cause has to be, followed at first by a "no, there is no xy here, I never used that" and then a week later followed by "you were right, I forgot that I used xy a few weeks ago".

And it doesn't matter to me if you agree or not. You are free to look for any alternative - it's your time that is wasted in such a case.
I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, but I do know a lot more about how computers work than most other people around here, and you can easily confirm that from other long-term posters.
And the facts I gave you above stand.

and just as an added info: if a post does not get a solution, that does not mean that it was unresolved. In most cases the OP solved it with our info and was just too lazy to report back - if it were unresolved he would have come back for more help in most cases.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Andar knows what he's talking about. Got me out of a jam quite a few times.

And to be honest, from what I've seen, I have to agree with Andar on this one. Else, you shouldn't get a forced closed and got an error message or a constant loading loop.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The engine itself could not be causing the memory leak (since it was fixed), it would only be possible to know if it could be causing it some or some plugins that are badly written or if there is some incompatibility that is causing it.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm happy to look for the issues you've suggested, but I still don't know how to do that. Can you point me in that direction?
the remark wasn't personal, more like a frustrated comment from the hundreds of cases I've had over the years where I told people what the cause has to be, followed at first by a "no, there is no xy here, I never used that" and then a week later followed by "you were right, I forgot that I used xy a few weeks ago".

And it doesn't matter to me if you agree or not. You are free to look for any alternative - it's your time that is wasted in such a case.
I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, but I do know a lot more about how computers work than most other people around here, and you can easily confirm that from other long-term posters.
And the facts I gave you above stand.

and just as an added info: if a post does not get a solution, that does not mean that it was unresolved. In most cases the OP solved it with our info and was just too lazy to report back - if it were unresolved he would have come back for more help in most cases.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it were that easy, I would have given more info.
unfortunately there are too many different protection programs around, each having different user interfaces.

you need to go to your system properties application list and check what programs are installed, then go through their logs to see if they were responsible and whitelist RMMV in them to prevent further blocks.
Then do the same for all your browser security settings (should be standard settings) and possible other background programs that might interfere (for example there is a video capture program that automatically starts recording whenever a steam game is started - that has caused problems with VXA for example because that editor didn't like the capture interfering with itself, and the video capture program couldn't see the difference between a game launched through steam and an editor launched through steam.

I smply don't know enough about your computer to pinpoint which programs you are using.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a look through my applications and couldn't spot anything that might be a protection program, it's a fairly new pc and doesn't have a whole lot installed. On video capture though there is the Nvidia Shadowplay software built into GeForce Experience so I'll see if I can disable that.

Browser security settings are set to standard.
In event viewer there's no warning or error that lines up with the crash times.

I played through until I got a crash while having resource monitor up and keeping an eye on memory usage and hard faults, I've attached a screenshot of when the crash occurred. There was a big spike in hard faults from the game as it happened. Also you can see memory usage here, the game starts at 1.5gb and gradually climbs to what you see here during play.
1628312113455.png

if it were that easy, I would have given more info.
unfortunately there are too many different protection programs around, each having different user interfaces.

you need to go to your system properties application list and check what programs are installed, then go through their logs to see if they were responsible and whitelist RMMV in them to prevent further blocks.
Then do the same for all your browser security settings (should be standard settings) and possible other background programs that might interfere (for example there is a video capture program that automatically starts recording whenever a steam game is started - that has caused problems with VXA for example because that editor didn't like the capture interfering with itself, and the video capture program couldn't see the difference between a game launched through steam and an editor launched through steam.

I smply don't know enough about your computer to pinpoint which programs you are using.

Attachments

• 1628312077715.png
    1628312077715.png
    61 KB · Views: 0

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you using any large parallax maps in your game? Loading those takes a lot of memory to the point of causing issues.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The largest is 2.29mb, it's only for 1 map and the crashes were happening before it was in the game. Behind that, nothing larger than default assets.
Are you using any large parallax maps in your game? Loading those takes a lot of memory to the point of causing issues.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For some extra data, don't know if it's useful or important. This is what it looks like when opening the game, there is also a spike of hard faults there.

1628318411778.png
I had a look through my applications and couldn't spot anything that might be a protection program, it's a fairly new pc and doesn't have a whole lot installed. On video capture though there is the Nvidia Shadowplay software built into GeForce Experience so I'll see if I can disable that.

Browser security settings are set to standard.
In event viewer there's no warning or error that lines up with the crash times.

I played through until I got a crash while having resource monitor up and keeping an eye on memory usage and hard faults, I've attached a screenshot of when the crash occurred. There was a big spike in hard faults from the game as it happened. Also you can see memory usage here, the game starts at 1.5gb and gradually climbs to what you see here during play.
View attachment 197950

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reaper73