JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know much about these things but I went and looked it up.

And I'm not 100% sure but maybe redownload the Program?

Edit: I'm not even sure if the link is relevant to what you need. Another thing I found is what this says:

A hard error is an issue in RAM that results from a permanent physical flaw in the module caused by a hardware failure or defect. Hard errors can manifest as a memory module that does not register on start and prevents booting. ... RAM may be tested a stick at a time to find the faulty module then.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Playing through again and got the point where it crashed last time, this time it didn't crash but the BGM did fail to load, and I caught this error in the dev tool.

UPDATE: After this error, the next map that had to load a new BGM crashed the game.

1628319510451.png

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know much about them either, and not sure if they're relevant to the crashing or just a thing that's also happening.
I don't know much about these things but I went and looked it up.

And I'm not 100% sure but maybe redownload the Program?

Edit: I'm not even sure if the link is relevant to what you need. Another thing I found is what this says:

A hard error is an issue in RAM that results from a permanent physical flaw in the module caused by a hardware failure or defect. Hard errors can manifest as a memory module that does not register on start and prevents booting. ... RAM may be tested a stick at a time to find the faulty module then.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In that case, have you tried testing each plugins to see if maybe there's a compatibility issue?

EDIT:
Also, make sure to keep everything in one post. There's a rule for this on the forum.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The dreaded task, I have tested some but not all. My game relies on them heavily so it's difficult to recreate the crash condition with them turned off. I wish there were better diagnostic tools for this.

Do you mean keep everything in this thread? The rules I'm looking at say don't edit the top post, which I've already done oops, but it was just the marked updates.
In that case, have you tried testing each plugins to see if maybe there's a compatibility issue?

EDIT:
Also, make sure to keep everything in one post. There's a rule for this on the forum.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, it's so you can tell which is which. And I do agree with you, it is a dreaded task. Looking at the picture above, (I am not a coder but can often find issues with compatibility) however, this one is a bit hard for me to tell. I notice Yanfly Core Plugin is in there, too but doesn't really tell me much. My best advice is to test all and compare. I mean, if you were unable to find anything that Andar had mentioned, that is really the best approach I can think of. Unless it really is Ram related issues.

Ah. No, not on the very first post. On the current post that you type in as you go. Rules is mainly for double posting. If replying to more than one person, you can use @ and include their name. Like this for example.

@Hwantaw

Mods frown upon rules breaker but can understand mistakes. Lol.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah the double post, I see. My mistake.

I'm doing a little digging on this audio error and this post seems related but not quite the same issue.
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/strange-error-with-audio-files.133056/

The issue for that case was special characters, and a few weeks ago when I was looking into this I tried this solution so my file names and codecs are clean, but it didn't fix my issue. But my case is slightly different in that it happens randomly instead of every time.

Here's another discussion on the error. (Java related, non rpg maker)
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...mise-domexception-unable-to-decode-audio-data
In their case it looks like the error meant the file wasn't found, and the issue was in Chrome. I don't know if Rpg Maker MV uses Chrome to run the game, either in play test mode or in a compiled .exe.

Ah, it's so you can tell which is which. And I do agree with you, it is a dreaded task. Looking at the picture above, (I am not a coder but can often find issues with compatibility) however, this one is a bit hard for me to tell. I notice Yanfly Core Plugin is in there, too but doesn't really tell me much. My best advice is to test all and compare. I mean, if you were unable to find anything that Andar had mentioned, that is really the best approach I can think of. Unless it really is Ram related issues.

Ah. No, not on the very first post. On the current post that you type in as you go. Rules is mainly for double posting. If replying to more than one person, you can use @ and include their name. Like this for example.

@Hwantaw

Mods frown upon rules breaker but can understand mistakes. Lol.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The largest is 2.29mb,
I'm assuming this is compressed filesize, not true picture size. There is a big difference between those two numbers.
store your parallax pictures as BMP - that has no compression, so if you check the filesize as bmp you'll see the true picture size, the amount of RAM needed to use that picture.

Also you can see memory usage here, the game starts at 1.5gb and gradually climbs to what you see here during play.
that is normal - it would only be a problem if it goes much higher

there is also a spike of hard faults there.
can you please check the programs description on what counts as hard faults?
depending on definition this can point to defective RAM units

EDIT: I didn't read the other answers above. I think this really points out to a defective RAM unit.
and that unit is probably in the last-used adresses for RAM, which is why it only counts when the memory use is rather high.

EDIT2: your audio error is a decoder error, that is different than a failed to load.
decoder errors can have only two different causes:
a) unknown codec, which means that that audio never works (and would never have worked in the past)
b) hardware calculation failure, either due to RAM failure or CPU overheating or some deep windows errors.
so again it points to a problem with one of your RAM units.

how old is that computer? how do you switch it on?
If you have a main power switch where you cut off power from multiple devices at the same time, that can cause memory faults as well.

Last edited:

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm assuming this is compressed filesize, not true picture size. There is a big difference between those two numbers.
store your parallax pictures as BMP - that has no compression, so if you check the filesize as bmp you'll see the true picture size, the amount of RAM needed to use that picture.
It's currently a .png. Is there a benefit to using BMP? I just followed what the default assets used.1628329046457.png
can you please check the programs description on what counts as hard faults?
depending on definition this can point to defective RAM units

EDIT: I didn't read the other answers above. I think this really points out to a defective RAM unit.
and that unit is probably in the last-used adresses for RAM, which is why it only counts when the memory use is rather high.
Well that's unfortunate for me, but probably rules it out in relation to the crashing.

I've been talking to someone about the potential Chrome error, and they suggested if rpg maker is using an older version of Chromium before the bug was fixed it could be the cause. But I don't know how rpg maker handles that.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You should still use PNG format for your images. What Andar meant by the BMP/PNG thing is that PNG must be decompressed to raw/BMP data before being stored in RAM. You can check approximately how much RAM an image occupies at runtime by saving it as a BMP and checking the file size, or just by doing the multiplication: 3072 x 1728 x 32 bits is ~20 MB. (The true size might differ slightly based on how the image is stored in memory.)

RMMV games run as Node apps via NW.js. They are deployed/tested through a modified Chromium browser (except for web-deployments, which run in the player's browser). I believe RMMV is still running on NW.js v0.29.0 since update v.1.6.1? In that case, it's running on Chromium 65, which is 3+ years old now.

You could try updating your RMMV installation's version of NW.js:

Or try File -> Deployment -> Web browsers, find the index.html file in the deployed folder, and run that in your usual browser to see if you can reproduce the problem. This is simpler but less convenient, especially because you're unsure where/when the game will crash.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RMMV games run as Node apps via NW.js. They are deployed/tested through a modified Chromium browser (except for web-deployments, which run in the player's browser). I believe RMMV is still running on NW.js v0.29.0 since update v.1.6.1? In that case, it's running on Chromium 65, which is 3+ years old now.

You could try updating your RMMV installation's version of NW.js:

Or try File -> Deployment -> Web browsers, find the index.html file in the deployed folder, and run that in your usual browser to see if you can reproduce the problem. This is simpler but less convenient, especially because you're unsure where/when the game will crash.
This looks extremely helpful and seems like something I should do either way, thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's currently a .png. Is there a benefit to using BMP?
no, and I wasn't asking you to use an bmp.
As mentioned above I was asking you to save as BMP only to see the true size of the picture and keep that in mind for comparison to RAM use, because the compression rate on pictures is usually very high, and most larger parallaxes require much more RAM.

Hwantaw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here to confirm that updating the NWJS completely solved the issue. I've run several long tests on different PCs since then and there has not been any crashes.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biotictrash