Game development documents

MrMikeOnaBike

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm curious about how others create their games. Do you use paper/pencil to keep game details straight? Seems like using a notebook to track maps, skills, actors, etc. (basically most of the database...) would help. Do any of you do that or do you just use the database as is? (Sorry if this is not the correct forum.)

Hungry Moogle

A Rat in the Wall
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I only use notebooks for artwork purposes and instead use spreadsheets & word documents to keep track of everything else.

word_document_1.png

word_document_2.png

spreadsheet_1.png

spreadsheet_2.png

I find it a lot faster to type everything down rather than writing, not to mention its also easier to make alterations to computer documents as opposed to handwritten ones.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I don't use dead tress for anything except recreational reading. I know some people prefer them, but I don't see how they make sense from an efficiency, effort, or taking-up-space perspective.

I have a number of documents and spreadsheets, and I also am trying out hacknplan.com. Making a wiki is another popular alternative, as are things like World Anvil, etc.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I mainly use Google Docs and Sheets, although I originally used Word and Excel. I switched because I can add stuff while using my phone.

Oggy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Personally I use both notebook and electronic docs/spreadsheets. I use the notebook for while im out and working on 'theoretical' ideas and area sketches. I use docs to keep track of Item/location lists and spreadsheets for testing damage formulae across a spectrum.

Ellenor

Artist: Digital/Pixelart/3D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Other
Word, notepad and mindmapper.
My notes are a mess, so, I give it over to the project manager who sort it out, organize it, and turn it into a neat game document.

Latest Profile Posts

There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.
A secret desire of mine: I want to make a horror game based on Celtic mythology. I've seen plenty of Greek, Japanese and Norse mythology-based horror games, but I don't think I've ever seen a Celtic-based horror game anywhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikehopper96