RMVXA Game Idea: Realm of the Unreal

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by DewottKid, Jun 27, 2018.

1. DewottKid

DewottKid Pyromancer Member

Neo Arcadia, Nabes Desert, Kingdom of Nogarde
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I was watching youtube and I discovered this unkown guy who made an eleborate illastrated series of books written in the early 1900s called "Realms of the Unreal." (The actual name is much longer, but most people just call it by this name) The book follows 7 half-angel girls called the Vivian Children and their battle against the Empire of Debonia. The series is very religious, and reflects the mental state of the writer at many parts of his life. I think with a few alternations, such as making the religious elements much more subtle and altering the story slightly such as making the "evil" kingdom more morally grey. It will feature seven playable characters, each named after a flower. Roze (age 19), Lilly (age 16), Dandi (age 11), Bloom (age 16), Violet (age 20), Sun (age 15), and Luna (age unknown). All the playable characters are female, and the game explores themes of innocence, realization, truth, and acceptance. There are also two guest characters. Dorlu and Addam. Dorlu is a close friend of Roze who
    betrays the party halfway though and becomes the villain for most of the story
    but
    redeems himself later by self sacrifice.
    The main villains are
    Dorlu
    Emperor Conrald and the true main antagonist
    Chancollor Xenoki
    who is
    a recurring villian in my games, starting with Xero: Part I. She was a former scientist who after going insane, activated an ancient relic and became a time parasite. She possesses people with a lust for madness to make new vessels to use them to spread chaos across time and space.
    Addam is the first human who was teleported 6000 years into the future to be used as a test subject of Dr. Yune, a devious scientist who hoped to alter Addam's DNA to make the human race godlike. Roze and her gang however stoped her and saved Addam who helped them in their battle with Emperor Conrald before leaving to his own time. How do you like my idea? Share your feedback in the comment section below. Bye!

drinkerofmilk, Guiguimu and Canini like this.
  2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    As a general outline of the story I like it. I think it is cool when an author or game creator reuses characters in a shared universe sort of thing. Have you been thinking about what kind of gameplay could be suitable for this game, or will you use the rpgmaker basics to create the game?

3. drinkerofmilk

drinkerofmilk lactic afficionado Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks for pointing my attention towards this. I hadn't heard of Henry Darger yet, and you made me look this up. Realm of the Unreal seems like a really interesting and elaborate work of art. What struck me is that it somehow reads like the plot of a (somwhat overelaborate) RPG story. Very adaptable.

I will be following your project. I'm also going to try to find scans of the original.

edit: I also saw there was a documentary about it.

His stuff is so weird, it's like the proto-Sonichu.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  4. DewottKid

DewottKid Pyromancer Member

Neo Arcadia, Nabes Desert, Kingdom of Nogarde
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @drinkerofmilk

Yes, it sure is very weird, and intriguing! Also don't expect me to start work on this project soon. I have many games on my to-do list and this game was just thought of so I probably wouldn't even release a demo version until at least 2020. I am a very busy man with not a lot of patience for database managing and mapping. Plus I'm still trying to find a job, finish my high-school education, and get into a nice collage for future endeavors. (I plan to major in writing and game design. My dream job would be a scenario writer for Nintendo.) So in short, I'm very busy most of the time. I'm looking into GameMaker Studio, seems like it would take less time and allow me more options.