Game Inspiration

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by CodeHunterEx, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CodeHunterEx

CodeHunterEx Hunter of the Perfect Code Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Mostly everyone gets their inspiration from other games, but I wonder, has anyone received any inspiration from television or movies.
    Maybe a book they read?

To make this a bit more interesting, lets remove some that I don't think fit:
    television shows and movies based on games: Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Doom, Mario Brothers, etc.

If you have received inspiration from tv or movies, or books even, please post I'd like to hear it.

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The "other games" inspiration was mostly for the mechanic or gameplay I think. Something like "This mechanic looks cool, so why not to try to put in my game?"

The other inspiration source like television, movies, or even random youtube video mostly is for the lore / story contents. I watched a lot of science video up to the point that I explained a lot in scientific ways of my world building, if that counts. Sometimes I lose some of the fantasy world aesthetic bcz I was too eager to explain all of it, and it becomes too scientific.

3. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    the first scene I came up with, was almost a carbon copy of Gladiator's opening battle.
    the interaction between the main characters? Steve, Danno and Max from Hawaii 5-0, or Kirk/Bones/Spock from Star Trek.
    the main storyline? War of the Ring, turning Dominion War, from Star Trek DS9.
    opening of the third act? Pirates of the Caribbean, specifically Black Pearl vs Endeavour vs Flying Dutchman.
    the ending? "Lighting the Beacons" from LOTR.
    how does that all fit together? I don't know.

soooo...... yyyyeah.
    almost 100% is inspired by movies/TV

CodeHunterEx likes this.
  4. Lord Kuro

Lord Kuro Villager Member

The inspiration for much of my stuff is r/WritingPrompts, urban legends, and combinations of the two.