Game is running at different speeds on different computers

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I sent a demo of my game out to a few people I know, and the game seems to be running extremely slow on their computers. I did some research on the forums, and it seems there was an issue with refresh rates early on. My monitor has a refresh rate of 120 hz, which is about double what their monitor's are. So I did a test and lowered my refresh rate to 59.5 and had the same issue. The game ran extremely slow. So I am guessing that's my issue?

When I open my project and go to help/about it says I have Version 1.6.1. Is that the latest version or do I need to reinstall or update the application?

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need the "fps synch" plugin by Yanfly
The logic is calculated on rendered frames, so if your rendered output is 120, then your game is technically running at double speed, since the engine expects the game to operate at 60 fps.
The "fps sync" plugin will separate the logic from the frame renderer.

(I thought this had been patched, but I guess not. I'm not sure if the FPS sync plugin necessarily fixes it or if it's Yanfly's master plugin that does it. Either way: use Yanfly)

edit:
Yeah, it's a bit weird it's running fast like that, since according to the description of Yanfly's plugin, the logic has been separated from the rendered frame rate (in layman's terms) since 1.1.0

Checking my own MV installation, it says 1.6.2 so you might be behind on updates, though it shouldn't matter.
If you are using the Steam version, right click RPG Maker in your library and go to properties. In the new dialogue window, go down to "local files" and click the "verify integrity of software files"
This will reinstall any missing parts. It's worth noting, any time you faff about with the engine, you should back up your projects.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I open my project and go to help/about it says I have Version 1.6.1. Is that the latest version or do I need to reinstall or update the application?
it is the latest EDITOR version, but your PROJECT will have the version of when it was either created or last updated.
please go to the project folder, go to js and use a text editor to open the rpg_core.js file.
your engine/project version is the number in the title line, or 1.0 if there is no number.

if your project version is lower than your editor version, you might consider updating the project.
however be warned that updating a project can break its plugins - there were too many changes between the version to guarantee compatibility, especially pre-1.4 and post-1.4

So make a backup before trying to upgrade.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Checking my own MV installation, it says 1.6.2 so you might be behind on updates, though it shouldn't matter.
It doesn't - the only change in 1.6.2 was something for Japanese users to upload to a regional Web site.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You need the "fps synch" plugin by Yanfly
The logic is calculated on rendered frames, so if your rendered output is 120, then your game is technically running at double speed, since the engine expects the game to operate at 60 fps.
The "fps sync" plugin will separate the logic from the frame renderer.

(I thought this had been patched, but I guess not. I'm not sure if the FPS sync plugin necessarily fixes it or if it's Yanfly's master plugin that does it. Either way: use Yanfly)

edit:
Yeah, it's a bit weird it's running fast like that, since according to the description of Yanfly's plugin, the logic has been separated from the rendered frame rate (in layman's terms) since 1.1.0

If you are using the Steam version, right click RPG Maker in your library and go to properties. In the new dialogue window, go down to "local files" and click the "verify integrity of software files"
This will reinstall any missing parts. It's worth noting, any time you faff about with the engine, you should back up your projects.

Warning: this might be a stupid question. But would the plugin allow my game to run at the same speed it currently runs at on my monitor on everyone else's monitors too? Because I would prefer my game to run at the same refresh rate it's currently running at on my monitor across the board. Or does someone have to have a monitor that is capable of running at 120 refresh rate for that to happen?

it is the latest EDITOR version, but your PROJECT will have the version of when it was either created or last updated.
please go to the project folder, go to js and use a text editor to open the rpg_core.js file.
your engine/project version is the number in the title line, or 1.0 if there is no number.

if your project version is lower than your editor version, you might consider updating the project.
however be warned that updating a project can break its plugins - there were too many changes between the version to guarantee compatibility, especially pre-1.4 and post-1.4

So make a backup before trying to upgrade.

I don't know how to use a text editor to open the rpg-core.js file, sorry. But considering I've been working on my project for a very long time you're most likely correct, and that it's out of date when compared to the latest editor version.

So I created a new project and copied the RPG*.js files, Libs Folder, and Index file from the new one and replaced them over the ones in my current project. That seems to have slowed everything on my game down. So I'm guessing I'll have to go through my events and correct all the speed and frame adjustments so it will adjust to the new refresh rate and/or frame rate (I'm not sure how this stuff works) to play it correctly? I can do that. It'll be a pain in the butt. But I can get it done if need be.

So far the walking around on the map and changes to events I can live with after manually adjusting their speeds and frame waits. But the battles themselves seem to run extremely slow. I don't know if it's just that I got used to the 120 refresh rate or if something is wrong, or maybe if there is some kind of new lag that has happened because of the replaced files. I've also noticed my character runs away now when I abort the battle. Was that something they added?

Thank you both for the help.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Warning: this might be a stupid question. But would the plugin allow my game to run at the same speed it currently runs at on my monitor on everyone else's monitors too? Because I would prefer my game to run at the same refresh rate it's currently running at on my monitor across the board. Or does someone have to have a monitor that is capable of running at 120 refresh rate for that to happen?
You could try to find/request/commission a plugin that alters the engine's timing.

However, what you describe happening from updating your project does make it sound like your original one was running twice too fast and the plugin that was mentioned is no longer necessary.

I don't know how to use a text editor to open the rpg-core.js file, sorry.
You right-click it, point at Open With, and choose Notepad.

But the battles themselves seem to run extremely slow. I don't know if it's just that I got used to the 120 refresh rate or if something is wrong, or maybe if there is some kind of new lag that has happened because of the replaced files.
It would be helpful at this point if you recorded a little video, because we all don't have any real point of reference.

I've also noticed my character runs away now when I abort the battle. Was that something they added?
Not that I know of.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could try to find/request/commission a plugin that alters the engine's timing.

However, what you describe happening from updating your project does make it sound like your original one was running twice too fast and the plugin that was mentioned is no longer necessary.

You right-click it, point at Open With, and choose Notepad.

It would be helpful at this point if you recorded a little video, because we all don't have any real point of reference.

Not that I know of.

Ok I figured out how to open it, ty. I just had to look around for the notepad application.

It says this:

//=============================================================================
// rpg_core.js

So I'm guessing since there is no number there that means it was version 1.0

Far as a video, I don't have any recording programs on my computer (that I know of). I tried recording it on a phone and then sending the video file to my email, and then to my PC. But when I tired to attach the file into the forum I got some error about it not having the proper extension. Sorry, but I just don't have much experience at this sort of thing.

It's probably that I'm just so used to the game running at double speed the battles seem really slow to me. I would like to show it to you though just to be sure I'm not getting abnormal lag or something. I'm going to try to find some videos online of other projects made with RPG Maker MV and compare the battle speeds.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, that is version 1.0 - which is very bad, because it contains a lot of errors, including memory leaks that will make the game go slower the longer you play.

you should update your project to at least 1.4, but better to 1.6 since you'll likely have to update or rework all your plugins as well.
And don't forget the backups as an update over that many versions can go wrong in a lot of ways...

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yes, that is version 1.0 - which is very bad, because it contains a lot of errors, including memory leaks that will make the game go slower the longer you play.

you should update your project to at least 1.4, but better to 1.6 since you'll likely have to update or rework all your plugins as well.
And don't forget the backups as an update over that many versions can go wrong in a lot of ways...

It says this now when I open that file with notepad:

// rpg_core.js v1.6.1

So I guess that means it's updated. I tested the updated project on a friend's laptop and they run at the same speeds now, so it's looking like that was my problem. I'm hoping I'll get used to the slower speeds as I play it more.

In respect to things going wrong; there is one annoying error that happens where the graphics on the screen freeze up. I can still move my cursor around and hear the sound effects of menus being selected. But the screen itself is frozen and won't change. Luckily it doesn't happen very often. And this was happening before I updated my project, so I doubt the update caused it.

Last edited:

TheAM-Dol

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
; there is one annoying error that happens where the graphics on the screen freeze up. I can still move my cursor around and hear the sound effects of menus being selected. But the screen itself is frozen and won't change.
Coincidentally, this is the same type of problem I've been experiencing for awhile now. At first I thought it was plugin related, then I wondered if it's because I updated my NWJS. I was wondering if it's worth starting a whole new topic on or not. If you find a solution let me know.
One thing we have in common is a high refresh rate monitor. I wonder if it could be related to that

Edit:
Hopefully someone smarter can come along and confirm or deny whether this is true, but my line of reasoning here is that even with Yanfly's "FPS Sync" it's not true video sync. Yanfly likes to call it that, but that's not what it is. Judging by other users (and how Yanfly wrote the description) there are very few people who take into consideration high refresh rate monitors, so when the game is running at high refresh rates, it could create an error in the renderer, maybe Pixi, maybe engine based.
I think limiting the frame rate to 60 might help? I'm not home right now to test, but if you are using Nvidia, you can go into the control panel and set the maximum possible frame rate. You can give that a try. It's only a temporary solution and it's just for debugging this problem, but if I'm right about this, then maybe we can find and/or commission a plugin that forces the game to always run at 60
:LZSskeptic:

Edit (again)
Doing some searches online, I found this thread:
The last post in the thread has links to a couple of solutions. One of them is engine based, so if you decide to go with that one, make sure to back up your project. The other solution is a plugin. Give it a try. I'll also try this when I get home later.

One more edit:
I've been doing a lot of playtesting at home with the frame rate capped at 60 via the Nvidia control panel, and so far there the problem hasn't come up - though there have been some weird frame timing issues. The frame counter still reports 60, but it occasionally feels choppy and gross.
I'll give the plugin a try later, but I'm beginning to feel confident that my hypothesis about high refresh rate monitors is true.

Last edited:

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hot dang, thank you for pointing that out to me. I have also experienced this bug. But in my project I blamed it in plugins and in other games I also blamed it on poor optimization/plugins.
Only recently did I get the suspicion that it may be a general RMMV problem and boy did I not look forward to going down that rabbit whole :rswt

TheAM-Dol

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hot dang, thank you for pointing that out to me. I have also experienced this bug. But in my project I blamed it in plugins and in other games I also blamed it on poor optimization/plugins.
Only recently did I get the suspicion that it may be a general RMMV problem and boy did I not look forward to going down that rabbit whole :rswt
If you could test either the plugin or engine fix in the steam post I linked and report back your results, I'll make a tutorial thread later crediting you and anyone else who is willing to help test this bug so we can get to the bottom of this. More testers means a better sample size to determine if it's truly the correct fix or just placebo + coincidence.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Coincidentally, this is the same type of problem I've been experiencing for awhile now. At first I thought it was plugin related, then I wondered if it's because I updated my NWJS. I was wondering if it's worth starting a whole new topic on or not. If you find a solution let me know.
One thing we have in common is a high refresh rate monitor. I wonder if it could be related to that

Edit:
Hopefully someone smarter can come along and confirm or deny whether this is true, but my line of reasoning here is that even with Yanfly's "FPS Sync" it's not true video sync. Yanfly likes to call it that, but that's not what it is. Judging by other users (and how Yanfly wrote the description) there are very few people who take into consideration high refresh rate monitors, so when the game is running at high refresh rates, it could create an error in the renderer, maybe Pixi, maybe engine based.
I think limiting the frame rate to 60 might help? I'm not home right now to test, but if you are using Nvidia, you can go into the control panel and set the maximum possible frame rate. You can give that a try. It's only a temporary solution and it's just for debugging this problem, but if I'm right about this, then maybe we can find and/or commission a plugin that forces the game to always run at 60
:LZSskeptic:

Edit (again)
Doing some searches online, I found this thread:
The last post in the thread has links to a couple of solutions. One of them is engine based, so if you decide to go with that one, make sure to back up your project. The other solution is a plugin. Give it a try. I'll also try this when I get home later.

One more edit:
I've been doing a lot of playtesting at home with the frame rate capped at 60 via the Nvidia control panel, and so far there the problem hasn't come up - though there have been some weird frame timing issues. The frame counter still reports 60, but it occasionally feels choppy and gross.
I'll give the plugin a try later, but I'm beginning to feel confident that my hypothesis about high refresh rate monitors is true.

Thanks for showing me this. I didn't know other people were having this bug too. My brother said it happened to him one time while he was playing my demo, and his monitor has around 60 refresh rate. But that was before I updated my project so it would sync with other refresh rates, so it could have still had something to do with it.

I can let you know if it happens to him again on the updated version while playing on his monitor if you like. I'm also probably going to give that plugin a try, so thanks again. It's a pretty bad bug. It's rare, but when it happens it can really mess up your game. Especially on a game like mine, where I don't allow people to save when ever they want.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! I’d like to ask where is a good place to start logging about my game dev progress as production of my game goes forth
In one of our campus classrooms was a bag full of stuff people forgot there... my bag. That I forgot there xD
You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rog85