Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

The Mansion
Version 1.01 Alpha

So for my very first Game Jam and overall my first release ever I have this game to present to you all

based loosely on the board game Clue.

The game is unfortunately not in its final version. I have plans to further expand on the game I'm releasing today to

make it into a full game though the basic mechanics and rules are there.

Please feel free to give me any constructive criticism.

Patch Notes: V1.01

• Fixed a bug where Roy turned into a tree.

Special Thanks to eslabon for bringing this to my attention.

[*]Fixed a bug where Roy could be in two places at once.

[*]Fixed a bug where talking with NPCs for the first time would also trigger their second dialogue tree.

What I plan to add in the future.

• Better ways of keeping track of NPC movements.

A minimap : This won't show everyone's location but rather the last known location of NPCs.

To further expand on this idea. It will show the NPCs that left the room you were in and the room you are entering
    I hope this helps players in the overall data pool to finding the killer.

[*]Better NPC movements.

• At the current time NPC movements are decided in a pseudo random function. I want to give characters a little more personality while
    also giving the player new ways to influence NPC movement. Some of the ground work for that is already referenced in game but I was
    unable to implement it in time for the initial release.

[*]A death counter or still alive counter.

• One of the lose conditions is all non Killer NPCs dying but between moving from room to room that may not be so clear.
    So having a counter that actively shows NPCs killer or the NPCs still alive could be beneficial. Of course you'd still have to
    find and possibly interact with the body for it to register... I'm working with ideas here.

[*]A better Credits Screen

[*]Eventually I would like to add a full story mode but it would require more planning, time and assets from the current version of the game.

• The mechanics from this game may simply be used to spawn a spiritual successor that's more story driven.

[*]An ending theme for both failure and victory.

[*]Removing the continue function from the title menu.

• As the game is now there is no saving function so there's no need for it there. I just don't know how to remove it at this time and wanted to
    avoid using other people's plugins as much as possible.

My Game Jam Experience

This was my first Game Jam as well as my first official game release despite my 6-7 years of experience with RPG Maker.

It was hectic. I didn't realize how much time producing a game, even this simple, could take. The looming time limit also didn't help things.

I pulled 2 all-nighters on the last two days to ensure I had a better product to release as initially the small story that is present in the game

now wasn't present in what I called my ALPHA build.

Did I accomplish everything I set out to do? No. By no means. I set the bar a bit too high when I started this on Oct. 25th. With roughly just a

week to do this and real life fighting for my attention I had to scrap a few of the original ideas and make other ideas like my NPCs movement

and the Killer's killing method much simpler than I originally intended.

I definitely gained a better understanding of my strengths as a game developer using RPG Maker MV than I had prior to this event and I'm

overall glad I took part.

Advice to other Game Makers

1. If you're on a time crunch be ready to make sacrifices on your final product unless you can delay the release.

2. Don't try to do too much. Create a framework and upon it.

3. Ask the community for help when you're stumped. Sometimes a second opinion can give you the answer you need. Other times it can help

you think of something you hadn't already.

4. Even simple ideas can be difficult to implement, don't be discouraged. It helps to type / write out what you want something to do.

5. If you haven't haven't taken part in a Game Jam give it a shot. It's a fun break from bigger projects and you can make something that can

help you in the future for your larger project or just in general. Plus you can go out of your regular theme and try something new.

6. Remember as Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto said “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

Love your game and make sure its where you want it so that others can love the world you create.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game Title Screen made by Sekunri.

Quick title screen for my project. It's probably very cliche but for something I threw together in a few minutes I'm happy with it. All materials used in it were royalty free images and photoshop brushes.

titlescreen1.png

Decided to be a little thematic and made the game based on the board game Clue. While I may be a bit cliche with how I go about it I figure its okay for something like this. I'm only using the base program and plugins provided with the RPG Maker MV program to alter the location of the menu options and provide a splash screen.

I don't believe the version that is being submitted for this will be my final version.

Depending on the rules of the Game Jam I may just make another copy and continue expanding on it or drop it for a similar game with a tweak on the playstyle but the version submitted into Game Jam will not be changed after Nov. 3rd.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh. I didn't know we were allowed to post something that wasn't done. Well then. Nice game though. I look forward to playing it. 

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't see any rule against it. If there was I believe I would have been told already. I just need to complete it before Nov 3rd so I decided to post little entries of progress.

I will say creating an AI for my NPCs has been the most daunting task but definitely will be quite rewarding once I'm done and they work.

EDIT :: Well creating the AI I envisioned was beyond the scope of this project unfortunately. In order to ensure the completion of the project I had to scrap a few of the original ideas I had for it but in the future I may revisit the attempt.

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE::

I definitely got in over my head at the beginning of this project. I started to wonder if it was possible to finish this game by deadline that I overlooked a crucial detail... death sprites.  Talk about a crucial thing to overlook.

DeadNPCs.png

These took 20 minutes per character.

While I've always respected sprite artists and their craft, that respect has been rekindled.

Heck these took me 20 minutes and they were based off of existing sprites and an existing tile... Doing this from scratch... yes I will sing your praise sprite artists. You're awesome.

I have 4 characters left, the window skin and once that's done its purely eventing and deciding on which audio I wish to use for the ending. Home stretch here I come!

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RESOLVED :: Apparently the MadeWithMV plugin throws a fit if you Remove Unused Files.

---------------------------------

So I tried to deploy the game so I could present it on this thread but when I ran the game to ensure it works I sat on a "Now Loading" screen for about 20 minutes. I've posted a help thread about it so if someone could find the answer that'd be lovely.

The Thread talking about my issue.

I won't be back for a few hours due to being awake for 36 hours... but when I return hopefully I can present the game for you guys. It's not perfected but it's the bare bones for a short game / mini-game I'd like to show you all.

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game posted.

While its not in its Final Version I hope you enjoy it for what it is.

skeezixs1

Skeezixs1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I liked it the mood and theme seemed very well done. I think I just got lucky on my pick as I did not really see the pattern of what to look for. 

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I liked it the mood and theme seemed very well done.
Thank you. I was aiming for getting those two right overall.

I think I just got lucky on my pick as I did not really see the pattern of what to look for. 
That's on me for not explaining it better. Sorry about that. I'll fix that in future iterations because I do intend to expand on this game.

Essentially the killer will only kill someone that's caught out alone. So by asking each character "where were you 15 minutes ago" or "where were you last" (cause I feel like I left that with an npc...) you know their last location.

If you enter a location to find a dead body they're suspect.

I have intentions on building on it to make it easier to see tells. Also to just overall make the game more fluid.

To me this is similar to an Alpha build of the game.

One thing you may or may not have noticed was that some characters mention wanting to start the fireplace. In the future this will possible to allow some characters to stay in there and "get warm" allowing you to control where some people will stay or move to.

Another inclusion I didn't get to implement is the houses strange hallway layout which some NPCs will mention. That was not just random dialogue I put in there and its meant as a small hint for a future patch because all the maps jigsaw together to form the mansion in a tile per tile way. There is another little piece of information hidden around there too.

If you notice in the first post I also made mention of a minimap which would help you keep track of some of the npcs you had encountered. My current idea to help with the keeping track scenario is as follows:

Say Andrea and David were in the same room as you, the kitchen. You leave to the Dining room, the minimap will register where they go as you leave. So you will know that Andrea stayed in the kitchen and David went into the ballroom. You will also notice anyone that went from the dining room into the kitchen. So let's say Roy did. Now you have no way of knowing for sure if someone entered the kitchen from either the hallway or ballroom but if you go back and find Andrea / Roy dead then you know for certain the other was the killer because you're certain they were in the room together.

TLDR Will be adding stuff to make it easier to tell who the suspect is in the near future.

skeezixs1

Skeezixs1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That sounds pretty cool to me. I liked it over all, and think you got a great start there.

eslabon

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this is a great start. The mood was very good and the music was perfect to get it that way. I had fun playing it and it will be great when you add to the game to make it easier to identify the killer. By the way, out in the courtyard, I talked to a tree and it turned out to be Roy. :)  (Just a little bug to be aware of...)

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That sounds pretty cool to me. I liked it over all, and think you got a great start there.

I think this is a great start. The mood was very good and the music was perfect to get it that way. I had fun playing it and it will be great when you add to the game to make it easier to identify the killer.
Thank you both for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it and look forward to your support as I move towards bringing a completed version of this project.

By the way, out in the courtyard, I talked to a tree and it turned out to be Roy. :)  (Just a little bug to be aware of...)
Whoa, wait what?

Goes to check out code in the courtyard....

OH! Hahaha that's hilarious. It's an easy fix but god is that amusing as can be. Thanks for the heads up.

Fun fact I actually intended initially to have the killer be a shapeshifter but I didn't get far enough with the base mechanics to really consider implementing it so I discarded the idea.

In the future I may explore this for a different project and maybe now Roy's spiritual successor will join in on that project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it
So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitoBooni