Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To shake the screen in the overworld, just put the event command "Shake Screen" in there. Page 2. Under Screen Effects. Near the bottom. Left hand side.

As for shaking a screen during battle? No idea how you'd do that. Maybe with a script?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In battle? Use Troop events, set to whichever turn and under whatever conditions you'd like. No need for scripts, just basic eventing.

But do you really want it for when a choice is made in battle? So that's every time I choose Attack, or a Skill or an Item or... I think that would very quickly become tedious beyond words. So perhaps you don't quite mean that?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally, I really hope you don't mean shake the screen every time, as that would give me a headache in 30 minutes or less and I'll be returning the game for a refund. As it is, I think whomever decided to make games always vibrate on basic actions on the PS3 or XBox360 needs to be drawn and quartered, as that is murder on my wrists and fingers.

Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Take a look at the use of very subtle screen shake in games made by vlambeer.

Not shown in the video, but I was thinking more of something that shakes the option text that the player chose.

Stuff like this really adds more weight to the player's input.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
okay, I've only looked at the first minute or so, not going to sit through more than an hour, so maybe I'm wrong, but... Those screen shakes look like they are happening when an enemy is hit, or as part of the skill animation, not when the player chooses an action.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something to keep in mind is that some people cannot play things with motion like that. I know it may seem subtle to you, but for example, I would not be able to play that game. I've lately developed issues with my eyes where certain types of motion/movement give me headaches/nausea. A big one is lights flashing at night, like a police car. But, even the motions in certain games give me problems. If the camera swings around too fast in a first-person-perspective game, I start feeling gross.

I'm not saying you should cater your game to me. I'm just using that as an example to think about the fact that not all people can handle this sort of constant visual effects and perhaps it's another side of the "juice" coin. I hope I'm making some sort of sense.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you do get a juice script, then make it an option for the player.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I watched a decent chunk of the video and the shaking was happening far too frequently for me to be finding it enjoyable. It makes the game itself feel fast-paced when it isn't, yes, but it also strains the eyes a bit. Or at least, it strains mine.

See, when the screen shakes, my eyes automatically (I'm not sure anyone else's work like this or not) begin to move left and right or up and down in time with the screen movement in order to maintain the visual focus required to playing the game. Screen moves left, my eyes move left to keep it in focus. Screen moves right, my eyes move right to keep it in focus. With so many screen shakes like that, my eyes were constantly darting left and right and I was finding it difficult to concentrate on the amount of enemies, where the powerups were, where the bullets were, what weapons the character had (because reading as the screen shakes is difficult).

Maybe most people can simply "look passed" the screen shaking and have it be a simple effect that doesn't hinder their gameplay. You know, the same way you can "look passed" dirty glass as you look outside and still see the whole view (essentially ignoring the dirty spots unless they're so pronounced that they can't be ignored). But, I can't do that with a screen shake. It's just too difficult.

I don't get nauseous or anything, but it breaks my concentration and makes it too difficult to take in all the information at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The final version of our game is already available both in English and Spanish! ^___^
Can't believe this day has finally come... T_T
Im so happy that Dead By Daylight is getting a Silent Hill chapter! Cant wait to play as pyramid head
I'm glad I found those fishies by @whtdragon so I had a proper base to start pixeling the first enemies in the game.
Such cuties... yeah.
Yesterday, for my youngest sibling's birthday, we watched one of his favorite movies.
Ponyo is such a beautiful, but certainly strange, movie.
I just have to say that I prefer the majority of Studio Ghibli's works to those of Disney.
*sees work place in incoming call history* .... =www= hisssssSSSSSssss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frive1000