Anthyny

Mantis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Day 1

I decided that I'll be working on two projects during all of this. Dedicating an hour-ish to each one hopefully.

Kenneling

I created a small cave map that the player enters from the bottom of a cliff side on the coast. It also contains the water system that the town's well above uses.

Secondly I did some more work on the first "boss" battle. No video yet since there's a bit to do. But basically the tree will sprout roots occasionally that will stop all melee and short ranged skills from hitting it. So you'll have to take down the roots itself or use long ranged attacks to keep pummeling it.

The Return

This project was freshly started yesterday actually after I confirmed a few things with the artist that will be helping me on this. It's going to be a visual novel-esque/choose your adventure type of game.  You will take the role of a college student, whom you will spend the first few bits "customizing" him by choosing his history and skills. Then after you've decided on your skill sets through a series of events and what not.... long story short, zombie apocalypse. However, there will be no typical battles in this game. It'll role more along "The Walking Dead" game style as you  make decisions and find clues to solve puzzles as you use your characters and his followers skills to help keep you alive during all of it.

Today I basically began databasing and bubble graphing out the first initial story decision branches.

RandomCocktail

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Archeia had a wonderful idea (I do really like this) by opening motivation threads to makers, so here's my canditature and progress as of today :

DAYS: Each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
TIMES: 6 PM to 12 AM
MY TIME ZONE: GMT-5
PREFERRED TEAM: Green for my favorite second main character (Umeni Hake) of my series!

Progress of 1st Tuesday (February 4th)

Worked about 6 hours today: revisited my possible party members stats (got an text file of at least 5 pages and not done yet!);

nerfed them all by 1 point in all stats (Constitution, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Spirit and Charisma) to not cause some

characters to get OP early on like Yune Gako or Henry Windath (both already bulky powerhouses); scrolled the forums if they have

already posted a script I'm looking for but fruitless; twingled with VX to get used to it again (I had fun doing a mini-quest to try my

hand again at eventing); tried to map, but inspiration didn't pop up. 

Edit: Since this Thursday I can't work on my project in said hours, I'll make it up for it by working on it today (February 5th) by those said hours.

Well, for my first day working on my renewed project, it was a good day even it didn't go as I wish. I just guess I need to take my time to deliver an stunning game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please keep comments limited to GMD folks. We already have threads for getting help with mapping and game & map screenshots for feedback. Please don't clutter up what's going to be an incredibly busy thread with feedback/suggestions/requests for help - it's just going to make my already-difficult job of tracking even harder. Thanks :)

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I certainly hope it's not too late to join this...!

Days: Thursdays
Times: Night-ish (I work all day... :< ). I may also be able to do Saturdays, but work can sometime stretch to 12-hour shifts, so...not holding my breath on that one.
My Timezone: (GMT -5:00 hours) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima
Preferred Team: Green

Reactions: R4B

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bloodmorphed, I have to put you in Team Red, to keep numbers even. Blue currently has a lot more than the others and needs the numbers

From now on, anyone joining may REQUEST a certain team, and if numbers are fairly even I will put you in that team. But if numbers AREN'T even, I will put you wherever you need to go to level things up.

Mike

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So yea, first, I spent some time to manipulate multiple sprites, preparing my project materials, then I started a bit on scripting custom sprite script that does very very simple stuff, then I've been trying to record and get the video online, beside that not much is done. .-.

rusty recording ftw!!

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Day 2

So... began mapping out a few bits for a certain game. Got two maps done. One was an inner of a shop, another of an inn. I like inner maps. I like forest maps too. XD

I started hashing out extra characters and their back stories bar the title two, who I've already had done for ages. That turned out okay. I'm still a bit iffy about one of the characters, Mikehl, but I think what I've got for him might work. I just hope it works out like I'm hoping. >.<;

Since I was already doing some writing I figured I'd also do some more storyline work and make a progression timeline for the game so I knew where people would meet, where they go next and what happens at those points. I didn't get far into that, sadly, but hey it's a start!

After that I started doing some graphic edits which... I'm not really too sure about. I'm going for a tad more of a cartoony style but, well, we'll see how that works out. Even if it doesn't work like I want there should be some parts that are salvageable at the very least.

I count it as a day well spent since there were some things outside of game making that got done (and much progress was made).

vociferocity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
day 2!

ok, so today....has been a sloggggg. I feel like I've spent all day working on getting a nice little "change your class during battle" system working, and I'm so close ughh. so frustrating! last night, the boy & I brainstormed some stuff for the game, & the first idea (change weapons during battle) was super easy, so I thought I'd get this one done today too. uhhh, not so much??

first I had to work out how to have a skill call a common event (somehow I'd just never done that before!), which was fiine. then I needed to work out a way to make sure the common event knew who had called it. I ended up deciding that was probably impossible? and there are only four characters who can change their class, so I decided to just have four separate skills that each call a separate common event. so far: not hard!

then I had some troubles with getting the thing to actually show up, but I finally worked out there was a clash with a battle command script, sooo that was also fine!

and then.......troubles. characters start with one class, then slowly unlock three others (two at once, then a final "ultimate" class). and I only wanted characters to be able to swap to classes they'd unlocked (duh), so then I got to puzzle out how to work out which classes a character had unlocked. surprisingly hard, you guys! yanfly's class system, although having script commands for unlock & lock, doesn't have a conditional one for checking if a class is unlocked. I tracked down a line in the "job system" script addition I made that checked if a class was already unlocked. handy! but it was sort of inside the actor, so I wasn't sure how to access it from outside the actor class. I had a poke around this forum, and found the syntax for accessing an actor, aand...bingo! the two together totally worked, so now you can only change to classes you've unlocked!

everything was gravy - except for one thing. when the choice window pops up, the status window vanished. x__x still working on that one. but it's coming together! in between playing with scripts, I edited some classes from the brainstorming last night, and neatened up a few maps.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Day 2

Go, Team Red!

One slooow hour of work spent on finishing the sprites (hopefully) and a logo for my title screen:

D4yz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Day two!

Finished up my 3rd Land Bio. Starting to feel I might be trying to crunch a little too much of the creation into a short period of time. I think I'll start brain storming key concepts the night prior to my posts, keeping a few notes. And delivering the complete Bio the morning after. Either way these might change at a later date if ideas come to mind, though not dramaticaly! Just slightly, such as landmarks and inhabitant traits.

[SIZE=20pt]Imber (Province of Water)[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=12pt]History[/SIZE]:

[SIZE=12pt]Imber, the land Forever Frozen. This province is by far one of the least inhabitable. An unforgiving frozen wasteland. The creatures that can withstand the conditions are as ruthless as the land is cold. Plagued by a perpetual winter, Imber has coined the title, 'Forever Frozen'. Consisting primarily of a thick shell of ice and snow, there's nearly no vegetation. Some can be found around the edges of hot springs. The lack of forests makes wood a somewhat rare commodity. As such, the inhabitants have long since simply used the land as their homes, creating structures of ice and snow with small portions of wood. During, 'The Burden' Imber  was  in a deadlock with Ustrina. Fighting simply for the sake of being deemed the most powerful, as well as the prospect of freezing over another portion of the continent and growing larger. It's said that the only thing more numb then the land of Imber, is the hearts of its inhabitants. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Weather[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Being the icy tundra it is, Imber has very frequent snow storms. When the skies are clear it's fairly sunny all around. Though always bone chillingly cold.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Landmarks[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Imber is known for a few of its landmarks. Such as the, 'Shard Wastes'. Its glacial drifts spreading out from the shore line. A manmade island of ice.  There is also a place where Ustrina breached their borders and sparked a fairly lengthy war. The area now referred to as, 'The Frostfire plains.' There are scattered ruins of migrants unable to endure the harsh environment and uprooting. There are also scattered hot springs across the land, varying in size.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Housing[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]            Low Income - Snow Mounds[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]            Medium Income - Ice and Snow huts, Wooden huts (in Hot Spring areas)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]            High Income - Elaborate Ice Homes with other materials mixed in.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Inhabitants[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]            Imbers inhabitants have a very heartless reputation. Though the acts of few should never represent the whole; presumably due to the environment, they are very cold. What some see to be ruthless, others might deem realistic. The common traits on Imbers Inhabitants are: varying shades of blue hair and eyes, light skin, traditional tattoo's of which indicate their birth given roles. As a whole, they are not very sentimental at all. Their bodies are incredibly immune to cold temperatures, having been tempered to the environment over time. Also do to their relative lack of nerve endings in their skin, furthering their seemingly heartless facade. They are also capable of submerging into water for extensive periods.[/SIZE]
GO RED TEAM.png

DustyCat Media

Indie Game Purrfector
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Day 2

another concept art for one of the playable characters in Crescent Dreams. I'm still finalizing her look. I'm opting for a simple design... I miss doing non-art related tasks because it's easier. 5-6 more characters to go... 

drago453

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Alright, I joined yesterday and forgot to post what I did. When I first made a facebook account, I liked a page called Soul Eater Evans. It's still one of my favorite pages one facebook, so I thought "Why not put them into the game?" I spent 2 hours talking with the admins, tweaking their faces to what they wanted, figuring out names, what the guilds goal is, stuff like that. Might not seem like much, but all the tweaking I did for them earned me a shoutout on their page, giving my page 20 more likes in 10 minutes.  

Digi Arn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
How come every time I hit generate random it makes me ugly sprites?!

Today I generated 5 sprites and faces using the sprite generator that are for my main party, some of these images for the main party will be place holders but it’s nice having reference and at least being able to add them to quests and have them appropriately displayed on screen.

An additional 3 NPC sprites were created, 1 enemy and 2 proper NPC sprites were added to the game where there were once placeholders.

Edited events on the beginning cut scene to make the flow better, added dialogue to the beginning cut scene.

Started reformatting a map in preparation for events and quests that will be added later today, more on that to come.

… Seriously I can’t feel my fingers, it’s like sub 30degrees… Fahrenheit… in my apartment. So after work it looks like I’ll be visiting a local coffee shop for wifi and warmth while working on my game.

ChaoticLapras

A Noob
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Day 2, ChaoticLapras, Team Red:

I worked on RoR a bit more today. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that I'm going to be able to work on it in the specified time, as I have other, unplanned, important stuff. Sorry for not notifying you sooner! Anyway. Updatey stuff:

I made a forest map. It's the newbie dungeon!
I've also made the outside of the first town (Pograhden), and I think that's completed now.
You see those doors? I think something's wrong with the DS door sprites, they don't fit, and so I'm using cave entrances for black bits temporarily until I figure out the problem. Anyway.

T.Bit

Labyrinth Explorer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wednesday - Entry 1

I made a menu with events. I have buttons that can be selected and I can get rid of it by pressing 'B'. Now I need to get the player to stop moving while I'm pushing directional buttons to navigate the menu. It's not pretty (just some placeholder graphics) but it freaking works! :D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day 2

No previews today, reducing the images made them incomprehensible and I don't feel like making a mockup.

Once again I set out to work on my wayword cliff tile, but unlike the many, many other days I'd tried to fix it, this time I got somewhere! I'm still not sure I did what I set out do to, to make a dirt wall that looks eroded by water running down it's side, but it looks a lot more like dirt than my last few attempts. I even got it to match up with the other cliff top, how awesome is that?

Thanks to Archeia I got distracted doing something secret but relevant and spent some time working on that. It will be awesome and not secret very soon. I'll be working on it for the next few days.

After that I made a new cobble walkway. I'll have to revisit it soon, it doesn't work with the other tiles as well as I'd like.
Overall I didn't do as well yesterday as I'd like. I got some good work done, but I allowed myself to get distracted too easily and never actually finished anything on my todo list. I'm going to have to finish two things on my list tomorrow if I want to have any hope of releasing the set on time.

Pern

Hello
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day 1 for me

I did my work a little earlier than predicted, but I got a lot done. I'm having a problem with mapping in that most of my rooms go from right to left. The entire first portion of the game, back when I started, was pretty much a side scroller. I've been trying to change that, if only a little bit. I've been going over rooms, seeing what I can change. Since I've become more comfortable with parallax mapping, the rooms have become more detailed (or cluttered, depending on how you look at it.)

Here's an example of what I finished today.

into:

It's supposed to have clutter, cracks and disorganized, so don't worry! Looking at it now, I think there's a few other things I could change again. I'm still not sure about it, but I'm not confident about much with the game yet. I'll get there!

R4B

✨Coffee is my spirit animal✨
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Day 2 - New art style!

I've spent almost the entire day trying to find a new art style for my game, Pixel art may look good, but it takes ages to make even the simplest of things. I needed to find a style that both fits with the game and is relatively easy to draw. But in the end I think I found a pretty good replacement.

This is only about one hour of work. It took much more time to find a new art style then I thought it would do so I didn't have much time do do anything else on the project today  >_>

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
February 5th, Day 2:

Spent time at work thinking up battle dynamics. Decided that the zombies have a standard 60% health regeneration per turn that can only be undone by occult spell-craft. (Because modern zombie movies the zombies are vulnerable to having their brains blown out or they keep coming... that's all well and good when you have guns that leave huge holes in heads but arrows and swords and stuff could easily require multiple hits while leaving the brain somewhat intact, thus occult spells exist to help allow zombies to be beaten.) Also worked on the hedge-knight and the archer's skill sets as well. Came home and implemented said ideas into project. Other than that all I've done is tile edits, because my resources didn't really have much gory resources by default, and a zombie horror game needs them.

Warning: Pixel Gore Below!

Edits mostly based on tiles by PV Games and Rainbow Jello.

(Not an actual map, just a random thrown together assortment of all the edits I've done today.) 

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
GMD Day 2 - February 5, 2013

So, after messing around with articy:draft for a while and trying to get the hang of it while I started putting my database/pictures/other info in there, I continued to work on a secret something that you guys should know about soon! :>

...Hm, this seems kind of short, but I definitely worked the whole of my four hours. OTL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heis