Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
GMD Day 16:

My last playthrough uncovered 22 new issues/bugs to be dealt with (need to get some bug spray).

Hopefully culling that list down to zero won't uncover too many more (there are always more...). The balance seems off in some of the fights, but I don't know if that's because the fights are unbalanced, or because I've simply been playing this too long and I know the 'right' way to go through everything. I'll leave that for the demo and let the playtesters sort that out.

I've got all (or almost all) of the journal entries written out the way I want them to go in, but they all need to be formatted to look good when read in the quest journal box. Since there is no preview this is taking a lot longer than I expected. If I had studied typesetting more back when I was learning desktop publishing I could just count the ens and ems as I typed and know where the line breaks would be. Ah well, life goes on.

vexverbose

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

The last two weeks have been tough, but I managed to finish this map.

Also, I got the door animation done. :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Busy, productive day. Got the title screen for Showdown mostly working. A couple of kinks to fix. Worked on making the memory scenes look like memories. Got some graphic stuff done - mostly westernizing some horses, as well as customizing some of them for main characters. It may not sound like a lot, but it was quite a bit of time spent on some it (tinkering with the scripts and such) and I feel like I got a lot accomplished.

Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hope the week's gone better for all of you than it has for me.

Gab has taken over the "I want that" CE, and no longer spawns a window for character commentary when an actor says "That's for me" or "I want that item".  The player will not stop unless they want to stop now.  Chests have had all their prompts replaced with windowless notifications.

The game is now in a functional state, but the cut scenes and behaviors need to be added after the latest test run.  So far Shade casting animation works in the disguise cut scene, and I've gotten the control down well enough to mimic the delay in animation similar to a custom gif.  This means for future projects I can incorporate much more complex behaviors.  Currently Shade's the most complex with 3 sets of 4 columns.

Emmet's Behavior for laughing works so well it looks like fluid animation.  This was pretty much the most satisfying moment of the entire

testing period.

New Animations and effects were tested.  Turn undead is getting Pelor's eyes and sunbeams while Emmet's smite attack as well as his armor upgrade

and mace upgrade events have a small flair added to them.  Shade's book animation is getting some mystic symbols as well.

Here is a quick video to display Emmet's new animation:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84835954/customanimations-20140405-200922_446.mp4

Radial blurring is annoying.  I'll get the hang of it yet.

The database rework: Items for 8 characters originally and since there are only 4 now needs a total overhaul was needed and some rearranging.  

This will also break a lot of things.

Since I am setting up Ivan's shop prices needs to be adjusted and unused items must be deleted.  While I am at it, I will be due to move all like 

items together to better organize the system.  I wish I were willing to do that sooner.

Enemies no longer drop any gold.  Drops will now be sold for money.  This is a constant complaint of a lot of games I've seen that monsters carry money, even humanoid monsters.  So I am making a few drops to satisfy that common complaint, though now enemy drops are very high to compensate.  I am lowering equipment costs significantly.

Proximity based events (particularly parallel ones) update broke my game worse than any remapping ever could.  

I am still moving and copying background events to keep the environment of the forest working proper.  

Now when a parallel event is out of range of the active screen the event won't play.  That goes for boarder events on maps as well.

so when the staff of light event was made to follow Willard the light source would be left behind when he went out of the event's range

past the screen it was set on.

In order the cut down on file size the database has had all bloat taken out. This means the entries have all been reorganized forcing a massive retesting before the new .2 Alpha release.  As it stands Weapon's entries have been reduced from 100 to 25 entries.  Armor has been reduced from 200 entries to 70.  Skills are next to undergo reorganization in .3 Alpha.  Enemies have gone from 140 entries to 70.

Next will be a graphics purge (Again) when the updated portraits are added.  This means the older portraits will be taken out, and anything unused will be taken to reduce file size once more. 

Making even a short game is a tremendous amount of effort.  I didn't expect this level of work from something like RPG maker.

The first ten minutes of game play will have significantly changed.  Cut scene Sketches have begone production.  Intro sketches are being refined.  I've got a few backdrops and new scenes in the works.  Hopefully with the new much smaller database things will go well with speed testing.

Some concept work for the intro that will be refined shortly:

I wanna make sure there is as little said in the intro as possible.

To further cut down on speech I've also added the letter itself prompting the quest, rather than having the character read it aloud.

About ten new sound effects were added to replace the old menu sounds.  People voiced a lot of disgust for RTP preset sounds, so I decided to go as far away from them as possible.

As of last week 164 new bugs were squashed due to the graphics purge, and the new changes (this was tracked with yanfly's save game script where I'd save before testing a possibly bugged event).  There are a few dormant events that need to be activated once their material is added.  

That leaves me with a very busy week before April 15th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everyone, I've FINALLY made time to sit down and tally all the scores for week 2! Just in time for week 3 to be due  :unsure:

The scoresheet has been updated with week 2's points.

If you have any more updates to post for week 3, please make sure you get them in within the next 24 hours to have them counted.

One more week to go, then everyone gets to have a break for a few weeks before we launch into the May GMD :)

kj3400

Hmph Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Day [these days for some reason are getting really hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure it's] 10: Saturday

As I speak, I have started the monumental task of tweaking the database to my liking. Items, stats, enemies, the whole shebang. It's not going well. The war on unbalance has taken a toll on my sanity. I may go back to mapping soon. That's so much easier >.< The silver lining is that I decided there will be no battling on the world map...well, not a lot. And at this point there is only one char, so I don't have to worry so much about too much.

Anyway, as stat balancing does not a good video make, I only have one video today. Have a look.

http://www.twitch.tv/kj3400/b/516621924

Clydous

Slowly moseying my way back...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day 3:

Posting a bit late from what I had worked on on Thursday. But here goes!

From last week's entry, I've been working diligently on the story for a project of mine. Its main character is an old character of mine who starred in a multitude of online games and such that I've played with my best friend. However, while attempting to write this main character into this story, I've been having difficulties. For whatever reason, I was writing him totally wrong...I couldn't embody his personality as I always have in the past. I'm not entirely sure as to why I was having such a hard time with this.

I shared some of what I wrote with my best friend, and he agreed the writing was lousy. Luckily for me, he was able to give me a few pointers and suggestions, more or less reminding me of the kind of personality this main character of mine was supposed to have. Since then, writing for the project has been going swimmingly.

When I write, to keep myself motivated, I usually think of an exciting or interesting part of the story and get that buzzing about in my mind. In this way, I have something to look forward to and am able to continue writing with anticipation until I reach that point. I'm still unsure as to why, but this technique didn't seem to be working for this story...I couldn't sink my teeth into the writing before that part. Thank to my best friend, however, I was able to find a point of interest BEFORE that initial point of interest that is now holding my attention and making it fun to write. Ahh...best friends. Great people! Thanks, dude! =D

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
April 4

I worked on more story elements. i started designing the other sprites, which is so painstakingly hard! Erm... that's all I did that day. Sorry.

(Merc. +1?)

April 5

I worked on more of the game story. I figure that if it were a book and it grabbed people, then it would easily grab the players who crave a good storyline along with great gameplay (Soon!). Since my trial expired, that's all I can do for the moment... Sprite design and story fleshing...

(Merc. +1?)

Jonnie91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So... it has been a while since my last post...I was hoping to follow this through brilliantly this month, but sadly due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to stop for week to sort it all out...I was back on the scene from Tuesday, however that's my day off, so I'll start from the... 

3rd April

My first day back was adding the finishing touches to a Waltz track that I had been making for Blindga, the brief was almost beautiful but slightly odd at the same time, so I increased the offset of the main violin just a tad so that it was feel slightly off center, making it feel slightly uneasy. :D

Once I'd finished the main track I worked on the mastering, which is something that I'm still working out with Sonar, but I think I managed to get the levels just right, it appeared to please Blindga who loved it. Once that piece was done I had to stop as was not exactly the most well person that day, but I managed to get a track finished! (just forgot to upload it :D

5th April

If it counts, today was when I did all the books, to make sure I was finished and ready to post it all when HMRC starts asking for proof of purchases, that was a relatively long day sorting out bits and bobs such as getting all reciepts and Tax stuff sorted ready for the end of the year. Doing it on my own, saves me money! 

Once I had finished all the boring bits and bobs I uploaded They Call Me Mad (The Waltz track I worked on the day before). Then I moved onto the next selection of commissions I had on my list including a Dungeon Theme for Clord which was finished and completed the same day here then I finished working on a Dungeon Theme for AlliedG which I still need to get onto soundcloud! 

Once I had finished that one I started work on another commission for AlliedG which was a battle theme, which is another amazing guitar piece which I was about a quarter of a way through until Kontakt decided to get a bit upset that I was using two instances of it one for Percussion and one for Shreddage. It got abit upset with me... and I got a bit upset (read: absolutely pissed off) with it. 

I managed after about 3 hours, worked out how to run both libraries through one instance of Kontakt, whilst still having an Amp on Shreddage and keeping the Percussion clean as a whistle. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be: 

(Does this look like something that should take 3 hours to get setup right!) ​
You live and learn! 

6th April(Today)

Today's Goal:  2-3 Tracks Completed

Today's goal is to get 3 commissions completed today so now I've sorted out all of the issues with Kontakt I can now get to working in a much stronger and fulfilling way, saving my CPU from dying from multiple instances (I still will end up using multiple instances...I just know I will :X) 

Once I've finished the pieces they'll all be uploaded onto Soundcloud and then I'll update them here! :D (Might even show off some more screenshots :D WE MUST DEFEAT THE DRAGOOONN!) 

EDIT: So in the end I managed to finish just the one piece, it was a hell of alot longer, and had around 17-20 instruments going at once, i'm sorry desktop You can listen to the completed track here

(Wow...this was a long post, goes to show how much I do, do in a day and how much I can talk about it ^^

numfanklewhat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Day 9 - SUN apr 6

Today was a slow but rather enjoyable day. Free from eventing, coding, and databasing stuff of last month (and week), I decide to draw a project-related artwork stuff. Probably will also using this drawing for some secret gimmicky stuff in game too.  ;)  

Aside from that, there is also some progress made in the coding/engine stuff by my team mate, wltr3565. Mainly stuff related to free roaming, sea sailing and fishing. It's finally working at last, but at the moment... it's still glitchy and probably comparable to B*g Rigs: Over The Road Racing, except this time, it's B*g Rigs: Over The Sea Sailing.  :guffaw:

That's all from me, hope you guys have an enjoyable weekend and GMD too!

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[For whatever team I am put into, sign-up is a few pages back]

This week, I sorted out the next part of my introduction, trying to give a realistic feel between the protagonist and the person they're meant to be saving. I also sorted out a few text bugs (I really need to get an auto-text-wrap script or something, need to research that this week) and worked some more on fixing up the ending. I'm thinking of removing the credits from the introduction of the game, otherwise they'll have appeared over four different instances in the game!

I also mapped out some more of the map where the bulk of the game's 'intelligence' is meant to come from (as in, where most of the story occurs as a result of - not that it all occurs in the said place), but I need to finish up the basement floor.

I think I'm going to make my game a bit more like Resident Evil 4 - not in terms of horror or shooting, but the aspect of puzzles to unlock other areas with an illusion of non-linear design. Resi 4 did it quite well, giving you choice in tackling levels and never telling you any direct answers to how to do certain things. I have to be careful if I do this though, as I have seen people be confused over the simplest puzzles in the past!

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses

April 07, 2014

- Working on finishing the set-up part of my Command Styles system

- Probably gonna be working on some more sprite battlers for now here at the office

Kale

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Today I worked on art and writing. I worked on the concepts of a new character and began spriting the front of her. (image below!) I also worked on the main storyline and refined the backstory and personality of the new character. I say new, but she's been around for a while, I'm just going over all the characters once more since I switched to doing my own custom sprites and I can now make them look like anything I want to. The switch is both liberating and crippling. I have more choices and I have too many choices. I'm so used to just working with what I can I'm finding it hard to come up with original designs.

Anyways.

+1 Knights

Ivy Sprite.png

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Let's see, today I got the title screen finished. (For now anyway, I will probably add an "options" on there.) I won't lie, I really like how it turned out - I think it's pretty!

I also reworked the intro scene so it was more apparent that Ulrika was remembering the short couple of scenes. I also completely remapped the area where the story begins.

Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sketching out some more cut scenes today.  I already posted 100+ words so I am not gonna do that again tonight.  Too much back and forth between the hospital.

Trying to work out the kissing scene.  Noses are clumsy to connect.  

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Weekend update time!

Friday 4/4

First off, have to give big thanks to palladinthug for helping me with a battler sprite I was using.  He was able to edit Tobias so that he has idle, battle, casting, damaged, and victory poses.  It was greatly appreciated, got to fiddle around, and enjoyed what I saw!

Today, I spent time editing some animation sprites I was going to use for state animations.  Thanks to Yanfly's State Animation script, I was able to get the look and feel I was going of a boss battle I worked on this weekend, which was Dispater, Lord of Iron.  Part of the battle, Dispater turns characters into iron statues.  While the iron statues do not move and gain a high defense score, he follows the next turn by casting Rust Touch, which is pretty much a one-shot to Iron Statues. The idea would be that when Dispater summons an Iron Scepter to do that, you need to focus damage.  Figuring out how to make the state animation took the better part of this day.

We got some real talent here!  Thanks again, palladinthug!

Saturday 4/5

Started planning animations and skill effects, along with the common event that I use for battle.  Decided to this time post a screenshot of how that looks.  This gives me greater controls of battles.  Granted, it takes more time, but I feel it really pays off in the end.  Was able to get a good part of the battle done, but felt it was missing some elements.  It wasn't until Sunday where I got a good idea, and really began to finalize Dispater.

There's a method to my madness.  It's still madness though.

Sunday 4/6

Finally got a good feel for the Dispater battle (which is boss 12 of 16 of the game).  Instead of him spawning scepters, he has an entire council, which really enhanced the battle mechanics.  Needless to say this was one of my more interesting (and detailed) boss battles to date.  The mechanics are as follows.

Self proclaimed Emperor of Iron, eh?  We'll see about that!

• Dispater and his Iron CouncilDispater is the self proclaimed "Emperor of Iron", and uses his defenses to sway the battle in his favor.  He has a key number of abilities he uses during his fight.  Dealing high damage as fast as possible is key to this fight over surviving, since Dispater becomes more powerful over time.Iron Fortune:  One of Dispater's core mechanics. Iron Fortune deals damage to one hero based off of his current HP.  At max HP this can be anywhere from 500 - 600 damage (more then half your estimated health).  It's important to deal damage as quickly as possible, since he'll begin casting this multiple times a turn as the battle goes on.
  • Summon Iron Council: Dispater calls 3 member of his Iron Council, which vary depending on how long the battle has gone on.Iron Attendant: A simple enemy that does basic attacks.  Not a high priority target.
  • Iron Mender: The Iron Mender will cast an all-target heal that heals 10% of his ally's max  HP.  This is a high priority target.
  • Iron Maiden: The Iron Maiden has 2 abilities.  When she first comes out, she will cast Iron Touch which turns a hero into an Iron Statue.  While an Iron Statue, you gain increased defenses, but cannot move.  The only way to remove this status is by killing the Iron Maiden. If she is not killed by next turn, she will cast Rust Touch which will be a one-hit KO to Iron Statues.
[*]Shield Flux: As the fight goes on, Dispater will be changing his defenses around. starting by decreasing his DEF to increase his MDF.  Once maxed out, he begins to decrease his MDF to increase his DEF and so on.  It's important to change spirits around to maximize damage.
[*]Dispatch:  If members of Dispater's Iron Council is still standing when casting this, he will absorb the remaining HP of all of his Iron Attendants.
[*]Phase 1 is as follows: Iron Fortune, Summon Iron Council (2x Iron Attendants, 1x Iron Mender), Shield Flux, Iron Fortune, Dispatch + Summon Iron Council (2x Iron Attendants, 1x Iron Mender), Shield Flux.
[*]Phase 2: After the 6th round:  Iron Fortune x2, Dispatch + Summon Iron Council (2x Iron Attendants, 1x Iron Maiden), Shield Flux, Iron Fortune x2, Dispatch + Summon Iron Council (2x Iron Attendants, 1x Iron Maiden), Shield Flux
[*]Phase 3: After 12th round:  Iron Fortune x4, Shield Flux.  This then repeats.
[*]IMPORTANT NOTE:  Iron Attendants are the only source of main damage other then Dispater.  Dealing massive damage to Disapter as quickly as possible is the most important part of this fight, otherwise you will be overcome by high damaging Iron Fortunes.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
I fell asleep last night before posting thanks to still not being 100% and toothache medicine combination. Figured today's post will make up for it.

Day 23

Went through maps and edited. You'd be surprised how often I go back to certain maps and just play with them - I spend so much time doing so and there have been a few times where I ended up reverting all the changes because the initial design was better. Yeah, I hate myself a bit when I do that. It drives me crazy.

I also did some writing to get into the characters' minds a bit better. Just general stuff like what their likes/dislikes and such are, set in a semi-fanfic form. Well, it's more just drabble where I'll just start on something and trail off after a few minutes. The writing itself doesn't matter - it's the solidifying of the character in my head that does and that's what helps me create and keep the characters as they're supposed to be. (It's a good way to get back into a characters' skin after being away a while~)

Lastly I did some resource edits. Nothing fancy, just a few bits here and there - recolours for the most part and shadow edits.

Day 24

Got started on enemy creation for reals. I did have some created before but I decided to go through and revamp them all a bit. I'm leaving the actual balancing until I get the character skills down a bit more but have done a handy A-F chart of the ones I currently have (more to come) in terms of stats. I don't add bosses until I actually create the dungeons, and for the most part I don't really choose enemy types/graphics until then either. Basically I have lists of stats and what kinds of skills they might have. I'll tweak them as I do the dungeons. I know, it's a terribly awkward way of doing things but it works for me and helps the enemies fit into their areas a bit better, too.

Lady-Elise

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
Day 8:

I spend the little time that I had to write some more of my story out. my game is currently

at the first boss(i should realy make the basic of the maps first before parallaxing >w<) so not so

far... I did re-design it so that it is harder. The boss was first not so special with a couple of skills so no tactics.

Re-designed to: 

boss:
skill 1: Throw ninja star ~ A simple attack. she throws a ninja star.

skill 2: Mirage Blade ~ The boss rushes trough the target twice, dealing extra damage if target is burned or frozen.

skill 3: Flame Seal ~ plases a seal on the target that inflicts a burning state. dealing damage[target learns burning touch]

skill 4: Ice Seal ~ plases a seal on the target that inflicts a frozen state. slowing the target down[target learn frozen touch] 

player:

burning touch ~ burns a ally. dealing low damage and removing frozen state

freezing touch ~ freezes a ally. dealing low damage and removing burning state

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle is easy, the boss will throw a ninja star that deals low damage. She will sometimes give a flame/ice seal on either victor or elli,

the flame seal will burn 5% of MAXHP per turn and forces the target to learn: 'burning touch'. the ice seal will slow down the target and forces

the target to learn: 'ice touch'. 

She will sometimes use mirage blade, which can deal high damage if the target is burned or frozen. the only way to remove this, is to use either

ice or burning touch on the other ally. this will remove the state and will decrease the damage from mirage blade.

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A

07/04

Mainly worked on mapping a huge modern kitchen. Was quite a headache to achieve a satisfactory one. The introductory dungeon is soon finished. I also corrected slight stuff on my previous maps, mainly dealing with carpet motives. 

It has not been as productive as usual especially since I spent two hours and a half playing In Search of Immortality. Well, will be better tomorrow :)

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My Day 16

Really tired today, but with gritted teeth and stiff upper lip, I set to.

Re-wrote and evented a cut scene which I had decided in the end just didn't work the way I wanted it to, it didn't convey the emotions etc. that it needed to.  More satisfied with it now.

Discovered something very annoying about how the battle system works.  Enemy has an all-party physical attack; one ally has automatic counter attack.  That counter attack kills the enemy, death pop-up appears, sprite disappears but, oh dear, the attack on the remaining allies continues.  Talk about striking from beyond the grave!  That's going to need a topic posting as I have no idea how to deal with it.

Added several small, but I hope useful, bits of dialogue building up one particular character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

40 card deck size, the plugin seems more sluggish.
Village theme I composed for a commission!
Stream will be live shortly with some Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?
Man, being able to edit my game WHILE testplaying it is like the most convenient thing EVER. Thank you, MV...it even makes up for the OGG thing. Well, almost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detulovnoc