Game Making Drive March 2014

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
GMD Day 19 (very late update) - not much done today other than sleep. Caught a bug from somewhere.

After much hemming and hawing, I'm pulling out the time and elemental features. They're great ideas: for my next game. As it is, they just distract from the main themes I'm trying to have running through the story. That puts me a lot closer to being release-ready. That takes out one NPC whose purpose was to help explain all that. So I'm left with the shop window code as my major project left, along with formatting all of the quest log entries.

Did manage to put the finishing touches on one 'puzzle' toward the end of the main questline.

Hopefully tomorrow will be much more productive.

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A

11/04

So regarding my own game I imported new chibi busts I got from my awesome artist and proceeded to make them into a face set. That's pretty much everything as I got hired on an Iphone application project (non RM) for mapping and I had to get used with the mapping software, read carefully the guidelines and get what they're wanting me to do exactly etc... 

This is a big relief for me as this project was making me worried first it was a scam....ends up being my best opportunity ever in the gaming milieu. Hope I'll be up for the challenge! Wish me good luck! :)

That's a short last post for me but it means a very happy ending to me for this game making drive :) . Hopefully see you in May! 

And also, I can't believe it's already over! My game made so much progress during it, thanks so much to the organisers! 

Last edited by a moderator:

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Before I forget again and have to go over multiple days~ This is Wednesday and Thursday.

Game Making Drive Day 21

• It's my Birthday! I didn't get much done, sorry :<
  • More delegation as usual, mainly bust art and sprites.
  • Pre-planning layout of Port Nasbeth based on the concept art.
  • Minor changes to multiple maps, quick parallax to see if the tents are interacting properly with the player.

Game Making Drive Day 22

• Surprisingly little delegation this day. Only some notes on a musical piece.
  • Frankensprited several important pieces for the Port Nasbeth tileset, including temporary manmade cliffs and stairs and two different houses.
  • Fixed some errors within an older tileset that made the grounds tile incorrectly. Had to go through 3 separate PSD files and sets.
  • Created the entrance to Nasbeth map, a transition from forest to port town with multiple vendors outside, the first major city the player will enter.
  • Began creating the inner maps of Nasbeth, planning out multiple quadrants and routes through the main storyline.
  • Played around with multiple levels for the houses (it's difficult since the autotiles can't really tile vertically due to the perspective).

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English

Day 28

This is it. My last day. It feels somehow so... anticlimatic. Oh well, guess that's just how it goes sometimes.

Today I mapped. Not much, but some. Wanna see some of them? Might as well make my last post for this GMD an image-heavy one, eh?

Also worked on some eventing. I... may have created a character creation system. And while doing so, messed with an older one while I was at it. XD Not sure which one I like more, actually. One is the basic Name>Gender>Class deal while the other is Name>Gender>Element deal. I might combine the two just because I can. XD

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
GMD DAY 18

Goal: Finish the tiles planned for A2. Make some corners for A5.

Made some new trees. Well, reused some trees I'd already drawn to make a new autotile. For some reason my ability to make an autotile goes out the window when I make trees and I just end up fiddling with it until it stops not working. Takes far too long.

Tried to draw new tiles for A2 but my hand didn't last long before it began to hurt again. Decided to stop before I made things worse. Later I started drawing road tiles but the intersections got overwhelming quickly and they didn't look anything like roads. That's okay though, now they're rivers.

I don't want it to be over. Last time I needed the break, this time I feel like I just got some momentum going. Well, I'll just have to put my all into today's work. I'm not where I want to be but that's okay, I'm better than where I would be if I hadn't been doing this.

Today's Goal: Finish what I started yesterday.

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Friday 4/11

Started working on Boss #13 - Bezlebub, as well as one of Asmodeus' archfiends for my Gehenna Prototype.  Decided to first do a little bit of recoloring of one of Thalzon's bug sprites for her.  Since the area was going to be more green, I wanted Bezlebub to match her surroundings.

Left is Thalzon, right is my recolor.
 ​
Also did some editing creating a swarm of bugs, since of of Bezlebub's mechanics is summoning a swarm while she flies away.  The swarm deals damage to all heroes, and needs to be downed quickly.  When the swarm of bugs are killed, Bezlebub will re-appear and continue the battle as normal.

Bezlebub is a girl?!?!
 ​
And so ends my final update for this GMD!  It was fun everyone!  Hope you all accomplished some goals this month, and I look forward to working with all of you next month. :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My Day 20

Yaayyy!! Got to the end without missing a day.  (Pats self on back).

Playtesting.  Not a lot one can say about that.  You all know what's involved.  Have got a couple of hours into the game without finding anything wrong.  This is either a cause for great celebration or a warning that I'm not paying enough attention.  Though to be fair, I have been over this part several times, so it "ought" to be bug free by now.

To give myself a break I did some work on getting a script working for my next project.  Scripts - my biggest weakness.  So not much of a break really.

Don't know if RL will allow me to do the next GMD; lots of things on in May/June.  I suppose it depends on exactly when it starts.

I'm convinced that I've got more done because of this Drive, so I'm pleased I finally decided to join in one.

And for the last time, here's the little pic.  I've become quite fond of it.

Pern

Hello
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Last Entry

Wow, time went by fast. I'm kind of disappoint in myself that I haven't posted any actual pictures to show my progress but a lot was still done. Not as much as the last GMD (in which I completely remapped nearly every single map with parallax) but more along the lines of upkeep and edits that needed to be done. Today I made a few events, played around with font and fleshed out characters. I really want to get this part done and have a few people try it out but I still think that's a ways off. I bought RPG Maker Ace during the summer sale in July and I hope to have at least that accomplished by then. What a goal! Not sure if I'll participate in May's drive since May is always hectic every year for me. We'll see.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Hoping this post will go through, having a lot of trouble getting to this point. Anyway, my last post is none too spectacular, but I did work on the sprite for my last main character in my main project. Also imported a mouse script into it and gave that a whirl.

UsainSloth

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
April 12:

Welp. I did some mapping. These aren't final, since I am planning to parallax and use different tiles. But the rooms will somewhat be designed like these.

For some reason it took me a while eventhough they were super simple maps and they were just placeholders.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm so late with my last post. Sorry!

GMD DAY 20

Goal: Finish what I started the day before.

I think part of the reason my hand and arm hurt every time I've tried to draw lately is because of the angle I had the tablet. That's fixed now and I had a much less difficult time drawing.

Once I was able to sit down and concentrate a little I found it very easy to get the previous day's stuff finished. I think I'm completely recovered from my headcold too, because I was able to make another autotile without redoing, fiddling or anything. All the things I had planned for A2 tiles are now made!

Yay, another successful GMD! I had a lot of fun guys, I really love seeing what you all are doing. I hope to see you all next GMD! I won't be there at the beginning but I'll join everyone as soon as I can.

Goal to work on while waiting for the next GMD: Finish this set and get it all sent in and ready to put in the shop.

Ever

Mayor of Splitsville
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My internet just came back up after days of being down. Finally worked everything out with my provider who was upgrading their hub and decided it'd be a good idea to have half a week of outage for my entire phase. Bright side is, I got a free +20mbps on my net. Downside is, I am far too tired after working tonight to post for myh wed/thu entries. I will edit this post and add all of the relevant information tomorrow if possible.

EDIT:

Final 2 Days:

This isn't going to be as long of an edit as I'd like. A co-worker has been in the hospital and is causing the rest of the crew to skyrocket into overtime. While it may pay well, it is putting a huge strain on many of our lives and hobbies in the meantime. Regardless, here is what I got done with my two days on the final week of the drive.

• Spend my first day mapping and compiling resources for the second section of town. Also decided to fill in decor, cranes and additional flowery what-not for the existing portions of town.
  • Second day was timeline driven. The concept was to take what I know about the story and try to sequence out the events. I included ALL of them, regardless of their importance or relevance.
  • Worked further on the world map. The more I look into other projects or even past games I've played, the more confident I become in my ability to do this based on the material I have gathered.
  • Added two new character profiles to my notebook and went as in depth to their back story as I could, based on what I know about them for now.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's fine Ever. I'll look for it tomorrow. I think Blindga might be the only other one who I know still has a post to come. After you two get your updates in, I'll post the final points.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was the final day the 11th or 12th?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final scores for week 4 are up everyone!

We had a total of 430 game updates posted over the four weeks, so some great progress was made, and I hope you're all feeling really happy with how much you accomplished. A special congratulations to those who managed (or almost managed) to post all of their updates, particularly if you were going for 5 or more a week. What a feat!

For those of you who are brave and/or foolhardy enough to put yourselves through this again, we're aiming for another in May (running from May 3 to 30, for the sake of starting over the weekend). Keep an eye out for the signup thread in another week or so :)

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I guess I'm not good at reading spreadsheets :(

Who won?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I did! Not sure who else though. It's not a contest though, it's a challenge. Anyone who didn't miss a day won in a way. There's also all the people who didn't do that but still got further in their game creation than would have otherwise and I think they've won in a way too.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah, on that basis, I'm a winner too, as I didn't miss a day.  However, for me the main "win" was the amount that I got done because I had committed myself to doing it.  And having to explain to other people what I was doing clarified a couple of things for me that otherwise might have remained a bit hazy.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, being accountable for my time made a huge difference in my ability to get things done. I'm much more focused, productive and motivated when I have to tell someone what I accomplished that day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Surprise Part 2 ---

F.Healer: Look,i'm the Cute White Ghost!
F.Mage: And,im the Scary Witch!
M.Archer: I'm The Handsome Vampire!
M.Fighter: AWOOOOOOO!!!
(Suddenly,The Electricity Is Turned Off. Then Turned On 10 Seconds Later)
Hero: (With Scream Mask & Bloody Knife) Hey,how about my Costume?
Entire Party: (Screaming Until Faint)

230 paths... roughly 250 light sources on the screen... One serious lag fiesta... But I finally got it all the screen at once. I guess I could have also just made an event to spawn each one in exactly the location I needed, but that's sooo much less fun. :LZSwink:
A wee radio thing I made months and months and months ago. 2020 has felt like such a long year. Maybe made this before 2020.IDK anymore.

Made this one much more recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sir_Pass_Limits